Schiit Modi Multibit vs Bifrost Multibit
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #16 of 57
A ldigital wire either usb, coax, spdif will be the same from source to the same dac the same. as long as there are no errors. You will not get a different sound from either unless one is malfunctioning or there is some interference.a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0.
I thought the same. I felt like stating that different USB cable will bring you different result is stupid bull**** (and I'm working in IT). Until I figured out what USB audio format, asynchronious transfer are and how the signal is being transmitted through "digital" wires. I guess it's a jorney for those who care. Although, you probably would struggle to notice any difference on a low-resolution system like Magni-Modi and Senns HD650 for instance. I definitely couldn't notice any difference using HD598. Even difference between DACs.

I would suggest using coax and decent wiring if possible. Or USB5 on Bifrost (that would be my choise). But there are more great options to consider.

P.S. From my experience, DAC differences percieved much better with speakers.
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 57
A ldigital wire either usb, coax, spdif will be the same from source to the same dac the same. as long as there are no errors. You will not get a different sound from either unless one is malfunctioning or there is some interference.a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe you're right. But for starters:
1. Check if there is any kind of error-correction in for USB Audio 2.0 spec
2. Check how the USB signal looks like (see oscilloscope pics on the web at least). Try to search different pictures for different interconnects.
3. Find out what voltage tolerances are for "1s" and "0s" at your device

then:
4. Think a bit on signal timing, clocks, where clocks are generated, jitter (supposedely solved problem)
5. Think about what i2s format is
6. From there on think how things are composed-transmitted-decomposed electrically at coax interface for example. Then others.

If after all this you still think that every interface works absolutely similar to another - it's a free forum, so to speak :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 57
2. Check how the USB signal looks like (see oscilloscope pics on the web at least). Try to search different pictures for different interconnects.

then:
4. Think a bit on signal timing, clocks, where clocks are generated, jitter (supposedely solved problem)
6. From there on think how things are composed-transmitted-decomposed electrically at coax interface for example. Then others.

If after all this you still think that every interface works absolutely similar to another - it's a free forum, so to speak :)
Christ on a cracker! When they said this hobby becomes a rabbit-hole, THEY weren’t kidding. Interesting Schiit indeed...

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 57

then:

Again. I have been around a very long time. We have tested and gone over this many times over and over. This stuff belongs in the sound science section because we are so tired of it in the reg forum because it always winds up the same way every time. so if you want to continue it there please feel free or we can drop it.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 57
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 57
Don't wanna make you sad but when I followed the link you provided, the first topic on the list was "Why do USB cables make such a difference?" :astonished:
Um did you read the thread? Apparently not.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 57
Mar 16, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 57
I’ve had my used Gumby hooked up for maybe 6 hours(barely warmed up), and I can say that there is a large difference between this and the mimby/bimby I’ve had.

I can’t get it from quick a/b testing but it is just more musical, emotional. I want to listen to the whole song. Honestly I felt the bifrost and modi sounded the same...this doesn’t. Can’t wait for it to run in the rest of the weekend.

So to answer your initial post I’d say get the mimby or look for a used Gumby.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #27 of 57
I’ve had my used Gumby hooked up for maybe 6 hours(barely warmed up), and I can say that there is a large difference between this and the mimby/bimby I’ve had.

I can’t get it from quick a/b testing but it is just more musical, emotional. I want to listen to the whole song. Honestly I felt the bifrost and modi sounded the same...this doesn’t. Can’t wait for it to run in the rest of the weekend.

So to answer your initial post I’d say get the mimby or look for a used Gumby.
If you get around to it, I'd love to hear more detailed impressions on the Mimby vs. Gumby. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a Gumby, and I'm interested in getting an idea of just how much different the Gumby is vs. Mimby. FWIW, Mimby will remain in my desktop set-up and Gumby will eventually become a part of the "big rig."

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #28 of 57
Digital is digital. Optical and usb would be the same. 1 and 0 are 1 and 0.

Lets look at the name..Digital to analog converter..so they take in a digital signal, ie 1s and 0s and then convert it into an analog signal for that an amp can output. So the digital is one thing but the conversion and filters and everything else that goes into that conversion, the "to analog" part, most certainly can and does change the sound

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #29 of 57
Lets look at the name..Digital to analog converter..so they take in a digital signal, ie 1s and 0s and then convert it into an analog signal for that an amp can output. So the digital is one thing but the conversion and filters and everything else that goes into that conversion, the "to analog" part, most certainly can and does change the sound
We were talking about digital cables not what happens after it is converted to analogue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back