Schiit Modi Multibit and Yggdrasil
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

veeceeem

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using Schiit Modi Multibit but somehow it sound very bright in my setup (Denon 1520AE and Jamo D590 speakers), the details are there in the songs, but it just doesn't sound very "musical", especially the voice. I haven't figured out if it's because of the DAC or other factors (room acoustic, no reverb in room, ect...)
Anyway, I'm buying Yggdrasil soon, but I wonder if the sound characteristic of Yggy is warmer or colder comparing to Modi Multibit? Or they are about the same and Yggy is only better than Mimby in details, depth, ect...?
Thanks in advance!!!

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 19
Modi Multibit is a bit brighter when I heard it compared to my Bifrost Multibit. Yggdrasil is a lot more comfortable to hear than Modi and to my ears, it has the same perfect neutral tonality as my Bifrost Multibit.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 19
Modi Multibit is a bit brighter when I heard it compared to my Bifrost Multibit. Yggdrasil is a lot more comfortable to hear than Modi and to my ears, it has the same perfect neutral tonality as my Bifrost Multibit.
Yeah, I had a chance to listen to both Mimby and Bimby, and Bimby is better in term of everything. In the end I picked Mimby and be haunted by Bimby since then. That's why I'll be picking Yggy to end it all

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 19
Bright versus dark - not clear to me that's the issue, or what you are hearing.

I connected my Mimby to my "resolving" speaker system and sold it in 2 days - I did not like what I heard. I connected my Bimby to the same system, and simply put it aside. It was warmer and less resolving than Yggy, and it created a smaller soundstage too - it was still something I could look forward to listening to. Basically, what I'm saying is I heard noise from the Mimby.

In terms of bright/dark Mimby and Yggy are very close. I used a Jot, fed from both sources into headphone at a meet, to let people hear them side by side. The difference was easier to tell by volume and dynamics than by a frequency plot that was different. They sounded remarkably similar. However, as people were able to do more listening, there was also a detail difference and noise difference between the two.

I'm just not sure what you're hearing in the Mimby, versus what you recall in the Bimby, is strictly due to bright versus dark. There is an advantage to the upgraded power supply in the Bimby/Gumby/Yggy.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 19
I think the Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB is the best deal in the Schiit lineup for $600. Pair it with a Magni 3 for $99 and you have a stack for $700 that gives you 90% of the sound from DAC/amp combos costing three times as much. You can pay a lot for that last ten percent in sound; if you can keep yourself from chasing the dragon you can be very happy with a Bifrost/Magni 3 combo. You are better off putting any spare cash into better headphones where the dollars spent really pay off in dividends.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, I had a chance to listen to both Mimby and Bimby, and Bimby is better in term of everything. In the end I picked Mimby and be haunted by Bimby since then. That's why I'll be picking Yggy to end it all

That’s why I keep both Yggy and Bimby.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 19
How much does a yggdrasil cost in USD in vietnam? Is it true that you guys are crazy for your high end audio? Heard lots of stories how vietnamese like to buy expensive cd transports :p

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 19
How much does a yggdrasil cost in USD in vietnam? Is it true that you guys are crazy for your high end audio? Heard lots of stories how vietnamese like to buy expensive cd transports :p
Fun fact: it costs 20% more than how much one pays in US. No clue why it's called "crazy" when one just buys what he can afford :) being an audiophile or not doesn't really matter, as long as I'm happy with my purchase, it's money well-spent :) life's too short to "not-being-crazy" and to not do what I want to do just because the world thinks I'm crazy :) let's just assume that I am hehe :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 19
Bright versus dark - not clear to me that's the issue, or what you are hearing.

I connected my Mimby to my "resolving" speaker system and sold it in 2 days - I did not like what I heard. I connected my Bimby to the same system, and simply put it aside. It was warmer and less resolving than Yggy, and it created a smaller soundstage too - it was still something I could look forward to listening to. Basically, what I'm saying is I heard noise from the Mimby.

In terms of bright/dark Mimby and Yggy are very close. I used a Jot, fed from both sources into headphone at a meet, to let people hear them side by side. The difference was easier to tell by volume and dynamics than by a frequency plot that was different. They sounded remarkably similar. However, as people were able to do more listening, there was also a detail difference and noise difference between the two.

I'm just not sure what you're hearing in the Mimby, versus what you recall in the Bimby, is strictly due to bright versus dark. There is an advantage to the upgraded power supply in the Bimby/Gumby/Yggy.
Thanks for clarify that they sounded similar. I think I'll pick Yggy over Bimby, because I hate something in between :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 19
If you do get a Yggdrasil follow the burn in as it sounds like crap at first but after a week it it starts to sound like it should and that is awesome.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 19
Fun fact: it costs 20% more than how much one pays in US. No clue why it's called "crazy" when one just buys what he can afford :) being an audiophile or not doesn't really matter, as long as I'm happy with my purchase, it's money well-spent :) life's too short to "not-being-crazy" and to not do what I want to do just because the world thinks I'm crazy :) let's just assume that I am hehe :)
Hmm... I suppose what I really meant was you Vietnamese audiophiles are *really* enthusiastic when it comes to your cd transports. I suppose being as close to Japan as you are, access to esoteric and 80s and 90s Japanese hifi is easier?

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 19
If you do get a Yggdrasil follow the burn in as it sounds like crap at first but after a week it it starts to sound like it should and that is awesome.
It's true about the Yggdrasil taking at least a day and perhaps a week to be performing its best but afaik it's not burn in it's just the chips need to warm up. A little different then what burn in is, I think.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 19
It's true about the Yggdrasil taking at least a day and perhaps a week to be performing its best but afaik it's not burn in it's just the chips need to warm up. A little different then what burn in is, I think.

Same with Bimby and Gumby for that matter. Dunno about Mimby as I only demoed it.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 19
Hmm... I suppose what I really meant was you Vietnamese audiophiles are *really* enthusiastic when it comes to your cd transports. I suppose being as close to Japan as you are, access to esoteric and 80s and 90s Japanese hifi is easier?
Ah get it :D It's possibly easier to, but I don't really know because I only use computer as the source :) being close to China make it easier to buy just anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back