Schiit Modi/Magni Stack for my situation?
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PanpandaChan

100+ Head-Fier
So this is my current setup:

Onboard sound: Soundblaster X-Fi built in to ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard.
Headphones: AKG K240Studio, Aiaiai TMA-1, and a Sony XB-500 on the way.

My usage: Casual/Moderate gaming (no competitive FPS gaming), Google Music.

I've heard that Google Music streams at 320k which is supposedly (or arguably) very good.
I do play a lot of FPS games but it's not life or death if I cant hear someone behind me. I typically use Razer Synapse software for virtual surround on headphones.

I do not want to add an internal sound card, because it'd block my view of the waterblock on my GPU lol >.>

Basically, would I notice any difference if I upgraded to a DAC/Amp?
Any recommendations other than the Schiit stack?

Also, the Magni is required right? I'm assuming the DAC output is line-level and wouldnt power anything?

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 6
  Onboard sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi built in to ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard.
Headphones: AKG K240Studio, Aiaiai TMA-1, and a Sony XB-500 on the way.

Basically, would I notice any difference if I upgraded to a DAC/Amp? Any recommendations other than the Schiit stack?

Also, the Magni is required right? I'm assuming the DAC output is line-level and wouldn't power anything?

Chances are your "built in X-Fi" is a Realtek using Creative's software.
The Schiit Modi USB DAC would bypass the motherboard's built in audio (Realtek), so no sound card for helping to process gaming audio.
If you gamed in basic 2-channel stereo, the Modi (& Magni) would be great for improving audio quality.

You might consider getting the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $95 plus shipping and any sales tax.
Should offer better audio quality, then motherboard's audio and a real Creative Labs audio processor (SoundCore3D).

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 6
  Chances are your "built in X-Fi" is a Realtek using Creative's software.
The Schiit Modi USB DAC would bypass the motherboard's built in audio (Realtek), so no sound card for helping to process gaming audio.
If you gamed in basic 2-channel stereo, the Modi (& Magni) would be great for improving audio quality.

You might consider getting the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $95 plus shipping and any sales tax.
Should offer better audio quality and a real Creative Labs audio processor (SoundCore3D).

You are.. indeed correct. Double checked the device manager.

And while I do know that the DAC bypasses the onboard sound completely, it doesnt quitee answer my question. Because you see, the software I'm using is completely third party and pushes out a 2-channel signal through your default playback device.
So I think that might still work... But either way, I dont think I'd mind losing it.

And yea, there are a bunch of great sound cards out there. I used to have a Fatal1ty X-Fi, but when I upgraded my computer, I decided to go for watercooling, and a soundcard would just block my view of the watercooled gpu. Sounds silly, yes i know haha.

Anyway, so it seems like I'd definitely see an improvement so I'm leaning towards a yes to buying this.. hmm
Will definitely be better for my K240s, as my current onboard cant even make it "loud" lol.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 6
  You are.. indeed correct. Double checked the device manager.

And while I do know that the DAC bypasses the on-board sound completely, it doesn't quite answer my question. Because you see, the software I'm using is completely third party and pushes out a 2-channel signal through your default playback device.
So I think that might still work... But either way, I don't think I'd mind losing it.

And yea, there are a bunch of great sound cards out there. I used to have a Fatal1ty X-Fi, but when I upgraded my computer, I decided to go for water cooling, and a sound card would just block my view of the water cooled gpu. Sounds silly, yes i know haha.

Anyway, so it seems like I'd definitely see an improvement so I'm leaning towards a yes to buying this.. hmm
Will definitely be better for my K240s, as my current on-board can't even make it "loud" lol.

The Schiit Magni/Modi should offer a noticeable audio quality improvement over the motherboard's built in Realtek/X-Fi audio.

The Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Amp is $62-$75, might do the job, leaving you some left over cash.

There is also the Audioengine D1, USB/optical - DAC - Amp, $175.
Using the optical connection would allow you to still use any Headphone Surround Sound features the Realtek/X-fi offers.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 6
The Schiit Magni/Modi should offer a noticeable audio quality improvement over the motherboard's built in Realtek/X-Fi audio.

The Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Amp is $62-$75, might do the job, leaving you some left over cash.

Using the optical connection would allow you to still use any Headphone Surround Sound features the Realtek/X-fi offers.

+1

Another advantage of the D1 over the E10 and the Schiit stack is that it has line outs should you ever want to run speakers as well. If that feature is attractive to you, another unit with the same features as the D1 plus extra (and switchable) inputs is the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC D1.

Although I do believe that the Schitt stack should have the best SQ out of all of the setups listed so far in this thread.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 6

Glad to hear I'll hear (lol) a noticeable improvement.
I thought about the Fiio stuff, but honestly I don't think I'd be satisfied, even if they do sound almost, or as good. The schiit stack isnt exactly high-end either, but it seems to have build quality that I can rely on for a long time.

Also considered the Audioengine D1, for the reasons cel mentions below...

+1

Another advantage of the D1 over the E10 and the Schiit stack is that it has line outs should you ever want to run speakers as well. If that feature is attractive to you, another unit with the same features as the D1 plus extra (and switchable) inputs is the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC D1.

Although I do believe that the Schitt stack should have the best SQ out of all of the setups listed so far in this thread.

I did consider the D1 for a bit. Mainly because they're also affordable, supposedly have warmer, fun sound (which I like) and because of the speaker compatibility.
But in the long run, I dont think I'd want only stereo speakers for my PC. Currently I have a fairly good Logitech 5.1 setup. And if I were to ever replace that, I'd probably go for a home-theater type receiver + some good speakers for 5.1/7.1.

Switching between headphones and speakers will be a bit annoying.. but not too bad.

Thanks for the advice guys. At this point I think I'm set on the Schiit stack. Going to go to the Magni/Modi thread for more specific questions that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back