Schiit modi/magni 2 uber stack makes clicking sounds
Mar 10, 2017 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

samuelfox97

New Head-Fier
Just got my schiit modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber to use with my sennheiser game one and PS4. I plug everything in correctly using toslink cable for optical out on the PS4. I have audio format set as Bitstream Dolby on PS4 audio output settings and plug my headphones in only to get a loud fast clicking sound. No audio comes out or anything. It just sounds like the modi and magni are broken. Or maybe I don't have the right settings in the PS4 but I tried switching it up and still got the same clicking sound. Anyone know what might be happening?

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't think the Modi can do Dolby. I could be wrong but I think it is straight two channel.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 11
It's either the relay ( power problem ) or more likely a sample rate problem. Dig around on the PS4 and see if you can lower the bitrate / audio quality settings until the clicking goes away.

Report back and have an awesome Friday!

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 11
It's either the relay ( power problem ) or more likely a sample rate problem. Dig around on the PS4 and see if you can lower the bitrate / audio quality settings until the clicking goes away.

Report back and have an awesome Friday!
I don't think the Modi has Dolby codecs built in as it doesn't do dsp as far as I know.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Figured the problem out. Believe it or not I had the RCA 's flip flopped lmao. Switched them to the right inputs and set the audio settings on PS4 to PCM (2 channel) and voila everything works perfect

May 7, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Figured the problem out. Believe it or not I had the RCA 's flip flopped lmao. Switched them to the right inputs and set the audio settings on PS4 to PCM (2 channel) and voila everything works perfect
Do you miss the virtual surround sound effect on your console-Schiit set up?

May 7, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 11
For dolby u need a codec first. The AK 4490 just a pcm/dsd capable dac.

Has Schiit ever considered adding Dolby processing to their DAC units (as an option)?

May 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Has Schiit ever considered adding Dolby processing to their DAC units (as an option)?
I'm almost positive they will not. If you read Jason's book here on his blog and after hearing him talk at CanJam I would think it's zero chance of that happening.

May 8, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm almost positive they will not. If you read Jason's book here on his blog and after hearing him talk at CanJam I would think it's zero chance of that happening.
I'll troll through his blog (on this site). Thanks, buke9. If CanJam ever comes to Toronto, I'll make the effort to check it out.

May 8, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 11
I'll troll through his blog (on this site). Thanks, buke9. If CanJam ever comes to Toronto, I'll make the effort to check it out.
I'll say no but I doubt it will come to Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back