Schiit Modi DAC with an iPhone?
Aug 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PaperMacWriter

New Head-Fier
Hey y'all,

I'm pretty new to the world of high-end headphones, having recently acquired some T90s and a Schiit Magni, and I'm really loving them. I'm thinking of adding a DAC to my setup, and was thinking of the Schiit Modi. I primarily listen to music from my MacBook Pro, but I also listen to some from my iPhone, and I was wondering if there's an easy way to use an iPhone with the Modi DAC. I know on Schiit's site there's information on using a powered USB hub, but it's not very clear how that setup would work, and I didn't see anything on using the Modi with an iPhone with a quick search of the forums. Does anyone know if this works, and if so, what the arrangement is? I'd also love to have an easy way to change between the Mac USB and iPhone without swapping out a bunch of cables, but I know that may not be completely feasible.

Thanks!
-M

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 14
No, to my knowledge you can't. Apple certified DACs are usually a few hundred. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 14
These guys make DACs for iPhones.
http://www.hirestech.com/

Personally you might be better off just buying a FiiO X3 and play all your music from it.
(Not sure if the FiiO X3 will work as a DAC with a Mac computer?)

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 14
The problems with cell phone audio aren't the fault of DACs which are a virtually perfected technology.  They are the fault of amplifiers and the main problem is high output impedance.  If your Iphone doesn't sound good to you, I would guess the culprit is the headphone but, if you want to add an outboard device, don't waste money on a DAC, waste it on an outboard low impedance amplifier.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 14
  The problems with cell phone audio aren't the fault of DACs which are a virtually perfected technology.  They are the fault of amplifiers and the main problem is high output impedance.  If your Iphone doesn't sound good to you, I would guess the culprit is the headphone but, if you want to add an outboard device, don't waste money on a DAC, waste it on an outboard low impedance amplifier.

There is no such thing as a "virtually perfected technology."  What you are trying to say is that the actual implementation of the DAC circuit is very important.  Even then, there are sometimes huge differences between DAC chips themselves.  If not, people wouldn't be clamoring to use ESS DAC chips, Wolfson, or any other brand that may have its fans.

As for cell phone output impedance, yes - it can have an effect, but many cell phones these days have output impedances<1 - the iPhone 4's, for instance.  The Galaxy S4 is 1.2 ohms, I believe.  Sometimes it's simply a question of power - clean power.

I'm no expert on the iPhone, but the OP was asking if he could use the iPhone as a music source platform through USB.  Such a thing exists for the Samsung Galaxy.  Some research into the Head-Fi "Portable Source Gear" forum section might yield the answer.  Or maybe the reference given by PurpleAngel has an answer. 
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 14

There is no such thing as a "virtually perfected technology."  What you are trying to say is that the actual implementation of the DAC circuit is very important.  Even then, there are sometimes huge differences between DAC chips themselves.  If not, people wouldn't be clamoring to use ESS DAC chips, Wolfson, or any other brand that may have its fans.

As for cell phone output impedance, yes - it can have an effect, but many cell phones these days have output impedances<1 - the iPhone 4's, for instance.  The Galaxy S4 is 1.2 ohms, I believe.  Sometimes it's simply a question of power - clean power.

I'm no expert on the iPhone, but the OP was asking if he could use the iPhone as a music source platform through USB.  Such a thing exists for the Samsung Galaxy.  Some research into the Head-Fi "Portable Source Gear" forum section might yield the answer.  Or maybe the reference given by PurpleAngel has an answer. 
wink.gif

I hate to tell you but people clamor for various brands of DAC chips because of marketing, not because they generate different sound.  I've never encountered a bias controlled listening test in which different dacs were found to be distinguishable from one another.  What that means is that it is a virtually perfected technology.  Do a sighted subjective comparison and, of course, you can come up with anything.  DAC's measure differently but sound the same because they do the same thing in the same manner.  Sorry.  And yes, if the iphone won't play loud enough then a more powerful amplifier is indicated.  Pretty straightforward.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 14

wink.gif

I hate to tell you but people clamor for various brands of DAC chips because of marketing, not because they generate different sound.  I've never encountered a bias controlled listening test in which different dacs were found to be distinguishable from one another.  What that means is that it is a virtually perfected technology.  Do a sighted subjective comparison and, of course, you can come up with anything.  DAC's measure differently but sound the same because they do the same thing in the same manner.  Sorry.  And yes, if the iphone won't play loud enough then a more powerful amplifier is indicated.  Pretty straightforward.

I disagree; the reasons are many.  It's not marketing when there are better measurements and better reports from actual owners and builders.  Challenges such as yours are usually the tool of the inexpensive-equipment proponent and are often a method to justify your own investment.*  Saving money is admirable goal, but it's wrong to dismiss an entire industry by implying it's simply wasting its time by providing better products.  Yeah, there's marketing - plenty of it, but that doesn't mean there's not better performance out there, too.

* Blind listening tests are inherently flawed because the echoic memory of a human being is hopelessly short (3-4 seconds).  You have to live with a piece of equipment for awhile and make many comparisons over a longer period of time.  It's not a simple proposition.  You can't even change out equipment and music passages quickly enough to overcome the short-term echoic memory in many cases.  It's why more often than not, it results in "I can't tell a difference."

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 14

iPhones usually have a low headphone output impedance then other brands of phones.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 14

I disagree; the reasons are many.  It's not marketing when there are better measurements and better reports from actual owners and builders.  Challenges such as yours are usually the tool of the inexpensive-equipment proponent and are often a method to justify your own investment.*  Saving money is admirable goal, but it's wrong to dismiss an entire industry by implying it's simply wasting its time by providing better products.  Yeah, there's marketing - plenty of it, but that doesn't mean there's not better performance out there, too.

* Blind listening tests are inherently flawed because the echoic memory of a human being is hopelessly short (3-4 seconds).  You have to live with a piece of equipment for awhile and make many comparisons over a longer period of time.  It's not a simple proposition.  You can't even change out equipment and music passages quickly enough to overcome the short-term echoic memory in many cases.  It's why more often than not, it results in "I can't tell a difference."

I already said I realize scientific methods aren't welcome here.  No need to continue.  I'm finished trying to add information to this thread.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 14
Alright, thanks for the help :) I was only wondering because of this page on Schiits website: http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected where it talks about digitally connecting an iPhone — they don't specify which devices this is to, was hoping their DACs might be included. Sorry if this thread ruffled anyone's feathers! I think these headphones sound great, even from my iPhone, but thought it could be fun to see what a DAC could do to the setup (connecting to my computer via USB adds convenience to me, so in the worst case scenario that I hear no difference I'd have simplified setting up my laptop at my desk). Again, thanks! 

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 14
According to Schist support, using a powered hub, you can connect an iPhone. Setup:

iPhone -> Fancy overpriced lightning cable -> USB A-B female-to-male cable -> Powered Hub -> USB A-B male-male cable -> Schiit Modi

Convoluted, but it should work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back