Schiit Modi and Windows 10 Problem Help
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
I am having trouble with windows 10 recognizing my Schiit Modi. sometimes theres a delay, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't until i restart my computer. I have tried a new cable but noticed no difference, would a usb hub fix this problem?, something like this?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_794_259&item_id=072349

Or should I just buy a new dac like the ol dac or modi 2? I've had modi for 4 years now. Also, would I notice any sound improvements upgrading to a modi 2?

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Didn't the schiit faq/help/troubleshoot mention a powered USB hub? http://www.schiit.com/guides/dac-problems

Anyway, have a Aune T1 hooked to a Win7 laptop and Modi off a Win10 pc, and both don't work normally. For years the Aune was fine with Win7, until one day it just stopped working. And it has to be disconnected and reconnected for it to work. Now each morning for instance (leave the laptop powered on during the night), I have to turn on the T1 and unplug and replug the USB cable for it to work. Same for my Win10 pc, but the win10 PC is even worse because I have to stop all audio before reconnecting because otherwise it throws an error occurred while initializing device. Tried the Schiit guide and it didn't fix the issue on either. I think windows + USB DACs is just schiit.

Likely upgrading the dac wouldn't make any difference; both audibly & functionally...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Seems that lately my modi & Win10 have been sucking a lot more. Usually, replugging it fixed it, but lately I've had to unplug and replug the modi 12 times before it's recognized... Did the hub fix your issue? Think I might get one because spending 5 minutes to unplug and replug the USB cable before it is randomly recognized and works is getting ridiculous...! (required every reboot...)

Also reading the modi thread, not the only one having modi issues, I guess schiit modi is crap for reliability...
:triportsad:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I have had one laptop that no matter what I did would not recognize the modi with windows 10 installed. I could use a hifimediy usb isolator and it would run as a 16/44 or 16/48 only. I tried hubs, adding an expresscard Usb controller, various chipset drivers etc and nothing worked.

Then today, I installed the latest build 1809 of windows 10 that just released today and low and behold the modi 2 is recognized and shows all the options for bit rate. Those having problems getting windows 10 working with the Modi or Modi 2 need to try this latest build. For me, it was the cure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back