Schiit Modi 3E
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 62
I've had the Modi 3E for almost a week, having "downgraded" from Bifrost 2. In actuality, I find the 3E more different than a direct downgrade. The Bifrost 2 is definitely more relaxed and analog sounding. The 3E is brighter, but I would describe it as clear, crisp, punchy and detailed overall. It is more detailed than the B2, a pleasant surprise.

As it's burned in (probably more brain burn in than hardware burn in), I find that it manages to be bright and smooth at the same time, with no harshness. That's usually something you only hear in high end equipment.

One downside I notice compared to the Bifrost 2 is that poorly recorded albums manage to sound better on the B2 than the 3E. The 3E does really like well recorded albums and excels with them.

It's pretty amazing the sound you can get from a $129 DAC in 2022.
So I recently bought a Lyr 3 and was hoping to pair it with Bifrost 2. But then USPS lost the package so now I'm waiting on PayPal to give me a refund (buyer protection) on the Bifrost 2.

At this point I could either:

1) Buy another Bifrost 2
2) Buy the ES9028 module for Lyr 3
3) Buy Modi 3E
4) Just keep using the SDAC I already have
5) Forget Lyr 3 and buy Garage 1217 Project Solstice LOL

ES9028 module seems convenient but I read a few reports of clicking noise, so it sounds like people were saying it's safer to buy Modi 3E if that's the route I'm going. Or just wait for another Bifrost 2 again.

As someone who owns both do you have any suggestions? You said it's more "different" than "upgrade" right?

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #32 of 62
So I recently bought a Lyr 3 and was hoping to pair it with Bifrost 2. But then USPS lost the package so now I'm waiting on PayPal to give me a refund (buyer protection) on the Bifrost 2.

At this point I could either:

1) Buy another Bifrost 2
2) Buy the ES9028 module for Lyr 3
3) Buy Modi 3E
4) Just keep using the SDAC I already have
5) Forget Lyr 3 and buy Garage 1217 Project Solstice LOL

ES9028 module seems convenient but I read a few reports of clicking noise, so it sounds like people were saying it's safer to buy Modi 3E if that's the route I'm going. Or just wait for another Bifrost 2 again.

As someone who owns both do you have any suggestions? You said it's more "different" than "upgrade" right?
Well, I still think the Bifrost is ultimately going to be better. And the Bifrost 2/64 is supposed to be an improvement again (though I haven't heard it).

If you have the money, I would say go for Bifrost. It will sound better and will better match Lyr 3 in a stack.

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #33 of 62
Well, I still think the Bifrost is ultimately going to be better. And the Bifrost 2/64 is supposed to be an improvement again (though I haven't heard it).

If you have the money, I would say go for Bifrost. It will sound better and will better match Lyr 3 in a stack.
Yeah at this point I'm just waiting on the refund then I'll have money again.

I went with the OG Bifrost 2 since I read it's warmer and cheaper despite Bifrost 2/64 bring higher resolution but a bit colder.

Otherwise like you said maybe in the long run it's better to just shoot for the best one right?

I'm just waiting on refund now and see if I can find another seller selling Bifrost 2.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #34 of 62
It's ashame the wonderful Modi multibit isn't still available. I've owned all the Schiit budget DACs and it's still the king for me personally. I was enamored with the 3E at first but in my system it was just a little bright and I couldn't get used to it. I might try the Modius E eventually. I did like the 3E much better than the Topping D50s that I had. I'm retired and when you add the tax and shipping the newest Bifrost 2 just doesn't fit in my budget. Thankfully the Modi multibit is still keeping me happy.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #35 of 62
It's ashame the wonderful Modi multibit isn't still available. I've owned all the Schiit budget DACs and it's still the king for me personally. I was enamored with the 3E at first but in my system it was just a little bright and I couldn't get used to it. I might try the Modius E eventually. I did like the 3E much better than the Topping D50s that I had. I'm retired and when you add the tax and shipping the newest Bifrost 2 just doesn't fit in my budget. Thankfully the Modi multibit is still keeping me happy.
In my case, after two weeks the brightness dialed down. Whether it was hardware or brain burn in, I’m not sure.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #36 of 62
In my case, after two weeks the brightness dialed down. Whether it was hardware or brain burn in, I’m not sure.
I just think it was the synergy in my system or it could just be my preference for a certain sound signature. I do think that Schiit did an admirable job implementing the ES9018 in the Modi.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #37 of 62
It's ashame the wonderful Modi multibit isn't still available

you're better off without that garbage. I sold one to another headfier having hardly ever used it (maybe a dozen hours? I never liked it) and having it sit in a box for years. He used it for a couple of days and it literally started smoking on him. I had to refund it. Schiit's QC has always been crap IMO.

Oct 26, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #38 of 62
you're better off without that garbage. I sold one to another headfier having hardly ever used it (maybe a dozen hours? I never liked it) and having it sit in a box for years. He used it for a couple of days and it literally started smoking on him. I had to refund it. Schiit's QC has always been crap IMO.
Nothing but good experiences with my Schiit gear. Thanks for sharing though.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #39 of 62
Nothing but good experiences with my Schiit gear. Thanks for sharing though.
Yeah I actually haven't had any issues with Schiit products so far.

Only thing is if I were to nitpick, Modi Multibit has old USB. If you run through coax through another USB to coax converter (for example, Eitr), then the soundstage and layering opens up. So it's recommended to always run Modi Multibit with Etir. Though it also changes the tonal presentation a little bit (vocal gets further).

It's a tricky balance..... lol. Would be nice if they release Unison USB Modi Multibit one day.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #40 of 62
Yeah I actually haven't had any issues with Schiit products so far.

Only thing is if I were to nitpick, Modi Multibit has old USB. If you run through coax through another USB to coax converter (for example, Eitr), then the soundstage and layering opens up. So it's recommended to always run Modi Multibit with Etir. Though it also changes the tonal presentation a little bit (vocal gets further).

It's a tricky balance..... lol. Would be nice if they release Unison USB Modi Multibit one day.
I'm still a physical media leftover and use an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and coax cable. I've owned the Magni 3, Asgard 2, Asgard 3, Modi 3, Modius, Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490 and have never had any issues with any of them.
Looking forward to see what Schiit has to offer in the future.

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #41 of 62
I'm still a physical media leftover and use an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and coax cable. I've owned the Magni 3, Asgard 2, Asgard 3, Modi 3, Modius, Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490 and have never had any issues with any of them.
Looking forward to see what Schiit has to offer in the future.
Am I safe to say you have Schitty taste LOL. :joy:

Out of curiosity what's your current amp? Also you should venture into Bifrost 2 one day!

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #42 of 62
Am I safe to say you have Schitty taste LOL. :joy:

Out of curiosity what's your current amp? Also you should venture into Bifrost 2 one day!
I'm a schiithead but I'm a budget Schiithead. I'm retired and I enjoy it so I have to watch my money. The silver Bifrost 2 is $829 and with taxes and shipping we're up to $900. I think that Schiit made their name with affordable budget equipment and while a $900 DAC is budget gear for some its not for me.
I'm fine with that because I think that the Modi multibit is a great little DAC. I'm hoping that Schiit will come up with another budget multibit DAC in the $400 price range.
I use the Asgard 3 and I have a Drop THX789 that I still enjoy. I picked that one up like new in the box for $120 and the Modi multibit works well with it.
I'll also connect one of the amps to a Philips 680 CD deck that I have that has the TD1541A in it.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #43 of 62
I'm a schiithead but I'm a budget Schiithead. I'm retired and I enjoy it so I have to watch my money. The silver Bifrost 2 is $829 and with taxes and shipping we're up to $900. I think that Schiit made their name with affordable budget equipment and while a $900 DAC is budget gear for some its not for me.
I'm fine with that because I think that the Modi multibit is a great little DAC. I'm hoping that Schiit will come up with another budget multibit DAC in the $400 price range.
I use the Asgard 3 and I have a Drop THX789 that I still enjoy. I picked that one up like new in the box for $120 and the Modi multibit works well with it.
I'll also connect one of the amps to a Philips 680 CD deck that I have that has the TD1541A in it.
lol I think you still have it easier than me, I'm in Canada anything that cross the boarder gets currency conversion + expensive shipping + import tax LOL. Also I think in second hand market I see a lot of people selling Bifrost 2 under $600 shipped. That being said it's still higher than the $400 budget you listed so it's understandable.

But yes one of my friend was using THX789 + Modi Multibit + Eitr for a while and he really enjoyed it. He later upgraded to Jotunheim 2 + Bifrost 2.

Though would be cool if Schiit come out with Modi Multibit+ with Unison USB.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #44 of 62
I have a Modi Multibit and have always thought that it must be one of the best deals in audio. Very good sound for a fraction of what other well received DACs cost. To help give a reference for that statement I have also previously owned two Yggy's and now a Lampizator Baltic 3.

I notice that Schiit has now moved to using Saber chips. I gave up on Saber a long time ago. After having several Saber DACs I decided that they sounded etched and sterile. I do realize that a lot may have changed for them since the last one I tried.

Does anyone know why the Multibit was dropped? Was it a supply or cost issue, or did Schiit just feel that Saber chips sounded better?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #45 of 62
I have a Modi Multibit and have always thought that it must be one of the best deals in audio. Very good sound for a fraction of what other well received DACs cost. To help give a reference for that statement I have also previously owned two Yggy's and now a Lampizator Baltic 3.

I notice that Schiit has now moved to using Saber chips. I gave up on Saber a long time ago. After having several Saber DACs I decided that they sounded etched and sterile. I do realize that a lot may have changed for them since the last one I tried.

Does anyone know why the Multibit was dropped? Was it a supply or cost issue, or did Schiit just feel that Saber chips sounded better?
Supply issue I believe, they say they'll bring it back next year.

But I'm really hoping they'll have a new model next year lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back