Schiit Modi 3E
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 62
I've always thought that listening to the Modi 3+ and Modius is like sitting several rows from the stage and the Modi multibit put me on the stage. This is the presentation that the 3E gives me.
I really like the 3E. It works well in my modest headphone system. The Modi multibit has been a favorite of mine for a long time but the 3E has a sound signature that's a lot like the Modi multibit to my ears.
Damn that sounds promising!

I've really liked Modi Multibit's sound signature except I find there was a few issues. With USB (I think it has older gen USB) it's very intimate and the vocal is very upfront which I really really like. But on the other hand with the older USB I find it lacks the soundstage / layering vs if you use a digital converter and hook it up through coax, though at point it gains soundstage and layering but vocal become too far for my taste.

So when I read about what you said about sounds "on the stage" I really like that. I just hope with Unison USB on the Modi 3E hopefully it's able to keep the upfront vocal of Modi Multibit and has the soundstage and layering you get through Multibit coax.

A little background story, I started with Dragonfly Red and REALLY like the sound signature and has struggle to find any unit that sounds the same, the closest I've come across to Dragonfly Red sound signature is through Vali 2+ with Telefunken Black Diamond tube with Modi Multibit. But at the time I thought Dragonfly Red is "close enough" and uses way less space on my desk and instant on and doesn't heat up, as oppose to Vali 2+ which is a tube that needs warm up time and Modi Multibit which R2R and need to be on all the time and also heat up. So I essentially have 2 heaters on my desk. Dragonfly Red is always cool to the touch when I leave it on all day.

I have since then sold Vali 2+ and Modi Multibit and went back to Dragonfly Red.

But it's been some time and maybe it's time to try again......????? LOL.
Since the 3E showed I haven't used my Modi multibit.
This sounds really convincing though haha.

Now I need to decide if I should give Modi 3E a try or wait till they release Unison USB Modi Multibit. I think you said December? Is it confirmed?

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 62
I'm finding the 3E brings out a lot of detail in the music that I've listened to so far but doesn't sound sterile or clinical. No harshness and non-fatiguing. Open soundstage. No regrets buying this little DAC.

I agree its unusually smooth for a 9018 sabre dac, a budget one at that. Not in a bad way its not muddy or anything just a very nice refined sounding treble you don't normally get at this price.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 62
The Modi 3E must not be a money maker. It doesn't look like they sent out any review samples. This product has been crickets outside of this thread and a somewhat inactive thread over at SBAF.
I don't get it. I definitely like it better than the Modi 3. I've been back using my Modi multibit a lot lately. It just brings something to the table that no other budget DAC has that I've tried. But I still like the Modi E better than the Topping D50s that I owned. I have a Modius with the AK4493 but I'm curious about the Modius E with the ES9028.

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 62
The Modi 3E must not be a money maker. It doesn't look like they sent out any review samples. This product has been crickets outside of this thread and a somewhat inactive thread over at SBAF.

I imagine its just that everyone that wanted a modi either have a 3+ or Modi, so no need for this option as its not exactly seen as an upgrade but to fill the void of no AKM dac chips.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 62
Interesting how little there is out there. I've been considering an upgrade to get that Unison USB and whatnot.

But I guess it's not really considered a full-featured product since it was a stopgap after the AKM fire.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #23 of 62
Interesting how little there is out there. I've been considering an upgrade to get that Unison USB and whatnot.

But I guess it's not really considered a full-featured product since it was a stopgap after the AKM fire.

I only had mine for a few days before selling it but imo not much to talk about, except for one thing which is the optical/TOSLINK input. I'm surprised there aren't 20 pages of comments about the audio dropout issues people are having. It's all over reddit and somewhat so on other sites wrt to ESS jitter implementation. I also had these optical dropout issues. Never happened using my TV with the AKM Modius and Bifrost 2.

Modi 3E is still a nice DAC and works well over USB. It's cured my paranoia over ESS DACs. I like it a little better than my old Modi 2. 3E feels very much just converting the digital signal to analog, nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure it measures great. Wish I had bought the 3+ instead when it was available.

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 62
I've had the Modi 3E for almost a week, having "downgraded" from Bifrost 2. In actuality, I find the 3E more different than a direct downgrade. The Bifrost 2 is definitely more relaxed and analog sounding. The 3E is brighter, but I would describe it as clear, crisp, punchy and detailed overall. It is more detailed than the B2, a pleasant surprise.

As it's burned in (probably more brain burn in than hardware burn in), I find that it manages to be bright and smooth at the same time, with no harshness. That's usually something you only hear in high end equipment.

One downside I notice compared to the Bifrost 2 is that poorly recorded albums manage to sound better on the B2 than the 3E. The 3E does really like well recorded albums and excels with them.

It's pretty amazing the sound you can get from a $129 DAC in 2022.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 62
I was really taken with the 3E at first but it is really revealing and after a period of time I've found that my trusty little Modi multibit still does everything right for me. The new Bifrost 2 is close to $900 with taxes and shipping and that's just too far out of my retired budget in this current economy.

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 62
I've had the Modi 3E for almost a week, having "downgraded" from Bifrost 2. In actuality, I find the 3E more different than a direct downgrade. The Bifrost 2 is definitely more relaxed and analog sounding. The 3E is brighter, but I would describe it as clear, crisp, punchy and detailed overall. It is more detailed than the B2, a pleasant surprise.

As it's burned in (probably more brain burn in than hardware burn in), I find that it manages to be bright and smooth at the same time, with no harshness. That's usually something you only hear in high end equipment.

One downside I notice compared to the Bifrost 2 is that poorly recorded albums manage to sound better on the B2 than the 3E. The 3E does really like well recorded albums and excels with them.

If you're shopping for a DAC I honestly believe its all you need, disregard price tag, it doesn't do anything wrong and it measures very well. When ive compared with DACs 10x the cost or more I couldn't find any big differences and it would probably be down to my imagination anyway as I struggled between blind and sighted comparisons.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #27 of 62

I have the same sentiment when I borrowed my friend's Bifrost 2 to try. I have SDAC balanced and Soekris 1541 (about $1000).

Funny enough I find 1541 is very wide sounding where the other 2 dac can't replicate. But I like the tuning of SDAC balanced the best (about $120). And Bifrost 2 I found is somewhat in the middle.

But everything is about 15% difference from each other. And they trade blows in different areas. Different pros and cons.

So as you said it's crazy what "cheap DACs" can do these days.

In general I find a lot of my "upgrades" turn out to be more "different" than "better" these days. Not to say higher price DACs are not better, they are better, just in specific areas but not EVERYTHING better.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #28 of 62
Can someone explain to me:

1. Why Win10 has 32bit option for the Modi (mine is 3+)?
2. Does it have HW volume line in USB like many modern DACs have?

I asked the manufacturer but had no answer.

1666343050375.png

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #30 of 62
Hi, any other good soul to please contribute and add to this thread??
I'm really interested in buying one of this but to this date i hardly find other reviews and or comments about the modi 3E.
I am very new into the audio world perhaps i started loving the hobby since 2017 discovering this forum and reading here has been very useful to make decisions. I own an audioquest dragonfly black and cobalt also an LG V35, sony Sscs5 and some flacs purchased from HDtracks.com along with a jriver license all thanks to this forums and other YouTube reviewers. I would really appreciate further input since saddly i'm purchasing from mexico and bringing stuff from the USA is more expensive than what retail price shows when buying from inside of the states.

Kind regards!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back