Schiit modi 2U not much of any improvement over Xonar DX
Nov 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
Though I am only testing this on my Swan M10. I don't have an amp yet so I haven't tested any headphones, but there doesn't seem to be a difference from the speakers. It is nice not to get random loud static but it's such a rare occurrence I'm beginning to question whether I should keep the Modi 2U. Any thoughts? Maybe the Swans aren't good enough to resolve the differences?

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers/
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

How is the Schiit Modi connected to your Win PC?
USB or optical or coaxial

What programs are you using to play audio?

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 7
  Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers/
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

How is the Schiit Modi connected to your Win PC?
USB or optical or coaxial

What programs are you using to play audio?

Yes, I disabled onboard audio in BIOS when I installed the Xonar. And I'm using the latest Unified Xonar Drivers.

The Modi's connected via USB with the Schiit pro drivers installed. I'm using foobar and sampled some flac stuff I had (Jackson Browne best of collection, Switchfoot albums, Final Fantasy Orchestral collection). And of course I've been listening to the same stuff I've been listening to lately.

There's nothing wrong with how either of them sound, I just thought there would be an improvement going to the Modi 2U based on what I've been reading around here and reddit.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 7
  Yes, I disabled on-board audio in BIOS when I installed the Xonar. And I'm using the latest Unified Xonar Drivers.
The Modi's connected via USB with the Schiit pro drivers installed. I'm using foobar and sampled some flac stuff I had (Jackson Browne best of collection, Switchfoot albums, Final Fantasy Orchestral collection). And of course I've been listening to the same stuff I've been listening to lately.
There's nothing wrong with how either of them sound, I just thought there would be an improvement going to the Modi 2U based on what I've been reading around here and reddit.

Did you install the WASAPI component with Foobar2000? 

The Xonar DX makes a decent & affordable DAC, comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip.
I'm currently using the Xonar DX with my Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier :)

I can understand people promoting an external DAC over an internal sound card.
But i think some underestimate the value of cards like the Xonar DX. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 7
  Did you install the WASAPI component with Foobar2000? 

The Xonar DX makes a decent & affordable DAC, comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip.
I'm currently using the Xonar DX with my Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier :)

I can understand people promoting an external DAC over an internal sound card.
But i think some underestimate the value of cards like the Xonar DX. 

No, I didn't install WASAPI for foobar. I think I had it on a previous installation of Windows but I don't remember it making a difference to me. It was Windows 8.1, I'm on Windows 10 now.

I think maybe I bought into hype with this Schiit, or maybe other people have better equipment for telling the differences.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 7
  No, I didn't install WASAPI for foobar. I think I had it on a previous installation of Windows but I don't remember it making a difference to me. It was Windows 8.1, I'm on Windows 10 now.

I think maybe I bought into hype with this Schiit, or maybe other people have better equipment for telling the differences.

I'm guessing when people go from using on-board audio to a Schiit DAC, they notice an improvement.
And some people say on-board audio is equal audio quality wise to an add-on sound card, but I'm not 100% in agreement to that.

Anyway. guess you might as well return the Schiit.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 7
If you can't hear a difference, why bother keeping it? Save yourself some bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back