Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,418 of 2,800
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #2,419 of 2,800
So far, two like it one, not so much :)
The guy that didn’t like the MJ3/Elite pairing seemed to be listening to a setup that had something wrong with it. His description sounded like something was broken instead of him just not caring for the sound of the combo.

In my opinion, the MJ3 is a great SS amp with everything but probably the most demanding headphones. Then again, some people seem to even like it when driving Susvara or Tungsten.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #2,420 of 2,800
The guy that didn’t like the MJ3/Elite pairing seemed to be listening to a setup that had something wrong with it. His description sounded like something was broken instead of him just not caring for the sound of the combo.

In my opinion, the MJ3 is a great SS amp with everything but probably the most demanding headphones. Then again, some people seem to even like it when driving Susvara or Tungsten.
Not sure about Tungsten but it’s good on Susvara. But after a while you would wonder “but is this the best?”

For the MJ3, you need a good DAC. Anything less than the Yggy won’t cut it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #2,421 of 2,800
Not sure about Tungsten but it’s good on Susvara. But after a while you would wonder “but is this the best?”

Agreed. It’s the first amp I’ve had that clearly showed the limitations of my BF2.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #2,422 of 2,800
That's a really high bar! I'm not sure we want people to think they have to spend another $2-3K to "enjoy" their MJ3.

Sure, get the most out of it, but just enjoy?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #2,423 of 2,800
That's a really high bar! I'm not sure we want people to think they have to spend another $2-3K to "enjoy" their MJ3.

Sure, get the most out of it, but just enjoy?
Talking about possible DAC pairings with the MJ3, has anyone tried out the Holo Audio's ew Cyan 2 DAC with this amp?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #2,424 of 2,800
Has anyone compared the Ragnarok 2's headphone output to the MJ3?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #2,426 of 2,800
Has anyone compared the Ragnarok 2's headphone output to the MJ3?
I did a super brief comparison of the two using a SS Tungsten & the Rag sounded warmer/fuller & in more control of the treble vs the MJ3. But that was like a 10 min test I did at a show so take that w a grain of salt

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #2,427 of 2,800
I recently bought a mjolnir 3 and is the best amp i ever listen, i compare with mi aune s17 pro and the mjolnir is more detailed and drives better my he1000 stealth
Quick question from a person who is still thinking about buying
How big is the improvement in details, stage, and other characteristics? is it a significant improvement, noticeable improvement, or barely noticeable improvement? I'm 2 weeks away from ordering S17 pro or another 6 from ordering mjolnir and I'm not completely sure whether doubling the price and extra month of wait are justified. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any direct comparison except "Yep it's better" and I cannot listen to either of them before ordering
will be very grateful for any comparison

@Currawong , maybe you can shed some light on my dilemma, please.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #2,428 of 2,800
Quick question from a person who is still thinking about buying
How big is the improvement in details, stage, and other characteristics? is it a significant improvement, noticeable improvement, or barely noticeable improvement? I'm 2 weeks away from ordering S17 pro or another 6 from ordering mjolnir and I'm not completely sure whether doubling the price and extra month of wait are justified. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any direct comparison except "Yep it's better" and I cannot listen to either of them before ordering
will be very grateful for any comparison

@Currawong , maybe you can shed some light on my dilemma, please.
I’m curious what DAC you have. That’s important because MJ3 can be a bit too resolving for lower end to mid level DACs or you may not hear its best performance. I have the BiFrost and jot2 combo which was great. The MJ3 was just mildly better than my Jot 2 on Bifrost DAC. But the MJ3 showed a big improvement the moment I connect to my Yggy GS2.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #2,429 of 2,800
I’m curious what DAC you have. That’s important because MJ3 can be a bit too resolving for lower end to mid level DACs or you may not hear its best performance. I have the BiFrost and jot2 combo which was great. The MJ3 was just mildly better than my Jot 2 on Bifrost DAC. But the MJ3 showed a big improvement the moment I connect to my Yggy GS2.
I have a bifrost uber with 4490 upgrade and unison USB.
I just started to combine my listening equipment and bought this dac November last year as a temporary solution. The idea was to budget denafrips ares once I get an amp, but I can stretch to something like Yggy (or its successor by the time when I will become ready) or Merason Frerot (it has nice esthetics and, as far as I understood from @GeraltDHowl posts, it pairs nicely with MJ3).
headphones are focal celestee and senh hd6xx
Currently using Moondrop Bravo Ocean amp that was landed by my colleague

So, I am still not sure that I completely understand where I'm getting myself into. And I am not sure whether it is an adequate path. As I've mentioned the idea to swap 30-dollar headphones and bose QC35 for something that can make music more enjoyable came to me not so long ago. I hope for some advice or direction. The aim is to buy amp and settle with it for next 10 years or more.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #2,430 of 2,800
I have a bifrost uber with 4490 upgrade and unison USB.
I just started to combine my listening equipment and bought this dac November last year as a temporary solution. The idea was to budget denafrips ares once I get an amp, but I can stretch to something like Yggy (or its successor by the time when I will become ready) or Merason Frerot (it has nice esthetics and, as far as I understood from @GeraltDHowl posts, it pairs nicely with MJ3).
headphones are focal celestee and senh hd6xx
Currently using Moondrop Bravo Ocean amp that was landed by my colleague

So, I am still not sure that I completely understand where I'm getting myself into. And I am not sure whether it is an adequate path. As I've mentioned the idea to swap 30-dollar headphones and bose QC35 for something that can make music more enjoyable came to me not so long ago. I hope for some advice or direction. The hope is to buy amp and settle with it for next 10 years or more.
The MJ3 with the merason Frerot Pow1 pairs great but you have to be aware of the hp of choise with the hek1000 stealth the highs were fatiguing i've never had an amp so dac sensitive in my life 😅 If you can streatch the budget the holo sping 3 can be the end game for sure with the cyan 2 the higher voltage of the dac was really good on the mj3 and the decay of the instruments was tuby like, really marvelous, my only gripe was the Front row effect and the smaller soundstage but i was using It via usb and didn't use hqplayer and the spring 3 should resolve that issue by default but having used the bifrost 2/64 if you like that sound signature the cyan 2 Is really the next upgrade, in the realm of sanity 😂 my issue was all caused with the dammit hek stealth that Is my hp of choise so i was trying to reach the perfect combo for those hp, than i had some issue and sold both the merason and mj3 right now i've downgraded to the hifiman serenade and for the time being i'm enjoying the music, but I'll Say this that all in one is really good for the hek stealth specially on the bass and It's not fatiguing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back