Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #2,341 of 2,798
Have you looked at the interconnect or, power cable/PSU upgrade?
My power cable is a pangea 14se, nothing spectacular although it did provide a more defined and precise sound, XLR is where i may need to experiment as well, lastly my eyes are set on the forza noir hybrid cable, it looks and seems fantastic for the Mjolnir.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #2,342 of 2,798
My power cable is a pangea 14se, nothing spectacular although it did provide a more defined and precise sound, XLR is where i may need to experiment as well, lastly my eyes are set on the forza noir hybrid cable, it looks and seems fantastic for the Mjolnir.
Maybe some XLR pair of higher level quality is a must as MJ3 is quite capable of revealing sound details :wink: I have also Pangea 9se, though Cardas Clear Cygnus power or even Cardas Clear Beyond / Beyond XL are leap step ahead. Even though Pangea internally uses Cardas wires.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #2,343 of 2,798
I know, the MJ3 appears to be a transparent amp revealing the quality of other components in the audio chain, but £3500 for XLR interconnects seems a bit excessive. :) I hope, my Chord Clearway will be just fine (which I am quite happy with). :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #2,344 of 2,798
MJ3 does scale higher with better, more appropriate cables. I was testing out different power cords on the MJ3 and was surprised the change in cables can make it sound "just good" to "extremely good" in my system.

For example, I have a modest Silnote Audio Poseidon GL Reference power cord on the MJ3 all this time. Figured I will swap in my Harmonix XDC Studio Master power cord (which was connected to my Freya N) onto the MJ3 and put the Silnote on the Freya N preamp. Just a simple switcheroo between two components, changed the sound.

When Silnote was on the MJ3 and Harmonix on Freya N, the sound is much more real and engaging. More clarity across the board, more natural decays and contrasts between instruments and vocals. More open soundstage and cleaner window into the presentation, more details. Better layering and separation.

When Harmonix was on the MJ3 and Silnote on Freya N, the sound took a big hit. Less real, less engaging, details were not as apparent. Everything I mentioned above configuration, was lacking on this configuration.

My conclusion, not only finding the right power cord is important, but placing it on the right components to reap the most out of it is just as important. Needless to say, I swapped back the cords in their optimal positions.

I get similar effect when rolling tubes on the Freya N, but that's another rabbit hole discussion.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #2,345 of 2,798
Some test lab setup shots. Forgot to mention that also Cardas Clear Beyond XL power cable was in there. It is an endgame neutrally sounding cable, though an overkill for some. Anyway it really makes the MJ3 to fully shine :wink:
Why and in what do you have your TT2 wrap in? Curious.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #2,346 of 2,798
Why and in what do you have your TT2 wrap in? Curious.
Audiowise DAC wrap, it is quite effective way of mitigating EMI/RFI and the SQ of the DAC is enhanced so no step back. Overal tuning the signal path is never ending as there are always some bottlenecks, though when sorted out properly , simply magic :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,347 of 2,798
Thanks, I read the Mentor thread as well, but thought it is better to ask here since I have the MJ3 on order for now.
I populate both threads as well, certainly nothing wrong with asking, I hope that came across correctly in my previous post.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #2,348 of 2,798
I know, the MJ3 appears to be a transparent amp revealing the quality of other components in the audio chain, but £3500 for XLR interconnects seems a bit excessive. :) I hope, my Chord Clearway will be just fine (which I am quite happy with). :)
Y'all are really trying to make me side-eye my World's Best XLR interconnects LMAO.

They are THE WORLDS BEST, damnit! I dont need better...

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #2,349 of 2,798
I will back up the claims that the DAC feeding the MJ3 makes a big difference in the overall sound. I had an OG BF2 for years and loved it with my Quicksilver Tube Amp (now sold), Cayin iHA-6, and SW51+. I am amazed at how much better the MJ3 sounds with the Yggy A2 I got. The Yggy also elevated the sound coming from my iHA-6 and SW51+, but not as much as on the MJ3. I have concluded that the MJ3 can simply scale higher than most amps at its price point and below.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,350 of 2,798
I recently upgraded my digital source to the fiiO R7 and while it is a step up from using my Mac Mini as a digital source, I think I prefer the more relaxed sound of my Cayin DAP's USB output. The fact that the DAC and amp can make those distinctions clear is impressive. The fact that I'm now looking to save up for a DDC to convert USB to I2S is going to keep my bank account low for years. Not only that, but I think I miss the Denafrips house sound to the point where i'm considering the Venus as my endgame DAC.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,351 of 2,798
I recently upgraded my digital source to the fiiO R7 and while it is a step up from using my Mac Mini as a digital source, I think I prefer the more relaxed sound of my Cayin DAP's USB output. The fact that the DAC and amp can make those distinctions clear is impressive. The fact that I'm now looking to save up for a DDC to convert USB to I2S is going to keep my bank account low for years. Not only that, but I think I miss the Denafrips house sound to the point where i'm considering the Venus as my endgame DAC.
the Venus is my wishlist endgame DAC too.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #2,352 of 2,798
Not only that, but I think I miss the Denafrips house sound to the point where i'm considering the Venus as my endgame DAC.
Just curious why Venus and not Terminator 2? I know cost is one factor, but from what I read it's only Terminator that has the best galvanic isolation on USB input, thus potentially removing the need for external DDC. For Venus it is still recommended I believe. If true it could be the less expensive solution after all.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,353 of 2,798
Just curious why Venus and not Terminator 2? I know cost is one factor, but from what I read it's only Terminator that has the best galvanic isolation on USB input, thus potentially removing the need for external DDC. For Venus it is still recommended I believe. If true it could be the less expensive solution after all.
Terminator is just suuuuper pricey @ $6600 over double the Venus and almost 4 times the Pontus.
Im sure the Terminator is the best, of that I have no doubt.

$3,000 for Venus II is out of my budget currently as well, but, there's a possibility. $6600 aint never going to happen around these parts.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #2,354 of 2,798
$3,000 for Venus II is out of my budget currently as well, but, there's a possibility. $6600 aint never going to happen around these parts.
Looking into Vinshine page it is now 3070 vs 4920. Still a substantial difference. But if Venus needs at least Hermes and Terminator not, then it is 4400 vs 4920.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back