Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #2,296 of 3,098
Glad you liked your unit. It does micro dynamics exceptionally well. I can hear floorboards creaking, fingers sliding up and down the guitar. Good stuff. I’ll try some power cords and see if I can fatten up that midrange a bit. It definitely has a lot of redeeming qualities. Nimbus is on my list of amps to audition.
You should give it some time to burn in, i kid you not, i thought the MJ was kind of bright when I first got it too, but now it’s the mids and timbre that grab my attention, im using a Bifrost 2/64 but id imagine the dcs isn’t responsible for the harshness you’re hearing, let the amp run, forever lol you’ll see

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #2,297 of 3,098
Can't see what headphones you using, but as others have said, let MJ3 play for 150 hours or so before judging. Would also recommend using balance in and out to get the most out of it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #2,298 of 3,098
I'd say it depends on how closely the DX7Pro hews to your ideal DAC sound signature. In my experience, the Mjolnir will reveal the quirks of the gear up and down stream of the amp, so it will reveal the good and bad of any piece of equipment. How much it will underwhelm depends on the rest of your gear, probably, and vice versa.
Well said.

I might need to look for a warmer, less dry DAC. :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #2,299 of 3,098
Can't see what headphones you using, but as others have said, let MJ3 play for 150 hours or so before judging. Would also recommend using balance in and out to get the most out of it.
I am trying to lock down my amp before playing with Totl cans. At the moment, He-500, DC-Stealth and Audeze X. I’ll go grab my JVC Cd player and let it burn in more.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #2,300 of 3,098
I am trying to lock down my amp before playing with Totl cans. At the moment, He-500, DC-Stealth and Audeze X. I’ll go grab my JVC Cd player and let it burn in more.
Give it the 100+ hours , but, if you do decide to try again Flux Mentors will be back in stock.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #2,301 of 3,098
Just received the repaired Mjolnir 3 back (two blown capacitors per Schiit)... Also just upgraded my DAC from Bifrost 2/64 to Yggdrasil GS2 (with Unison USB)...

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #2,304 of 3,098
Just received the repaired Mjolnir 3 back (two blown capacitors per Schiit)... Also just upgraded my DAC from Bifrost 2/64 to Yggdrasil GS2 (with Unison USB)...
Sweet! Fun weekend for you, although don't judge Yggy until about mid-week as it will get better all week.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #2,305 of 3,098
Sweet! Fun weekend for you, although don't judge Yggy until about mid-week as it will get better all week.
Thank you for the advice... I will hold my judgement... already sounded very good to my "beginner" ears...

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #2,306 of 3,098
I tried that theory of power cables improving sound quality. I bought some expensive power cables for the Yggy. So the humming sound and vibration from the Yggy mostly disappeared. Ambient sound near the Yggy is much quieter. The headphone sound quality didn’t seem to improve though.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #2,307 of 3,098
I tried that theory of power cables improving sound quality. I bought some expensive power cables for the Yggy. So the humming sound and vibration from the Yggy mostly disappeared. Ambient sound near the Yggy is much quieter. The headphone sound quality didn’t seem to improve though.
A bit more subtle on DACs. Did your Mentors come with the Neotech NEP-5002?

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #2,308 of 3,098
Wow I guess it really is a widespread problem with the first run of Mj3s. Bunch of us here had same problem. What were the signs of something going wrong with your amp? Or did you just notice when you looked in at the physical caps?

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #2,309 of 3,098
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #2,310 of 3,098
Wow I guess it really is a widespread problem with the first run of Mj3s. Bunch of us here had same problem. What were the signs of something going wrong with your amp? Or did you just notice when you looked in at the physical caps?
Good to know that this is a widespread problem...
My MJ3 was received October 13, 2023. I think mine was part of the second run.
The sign was a prominent static-like noise from both channels even when I paused music. I did not open the unit. I just reported my findings to Schiit and sent the unit in. Schiit repaired it and informed me the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back