Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,876 of 3,099
Mar 1, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,877 of 3,099
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,880 of 3,099
That's a pretty negative review, particularly so if you have followed this reviewer for a while, as I have. The amps that he says were in a different league from the MJ3 (and that it wasn't even close) like the Violectric v281 and the Hifiman Prelude were previously compared with the Ferrum Oor, the GSX mini, and other mid-fi amps in the $1,500 range, and those comparisons were were much closer than the comparison to the MJ3 (just watch some of the older reviews). So while it may sound like it's not too bad that the MJ3 didn't compete with amps in the $2,500 range, if you combine it with his previous reviews, it didn't stack up to those amps like some others in its own price range.

I have not heard the Vio (either the 281 or the 550), but to my ear, the MJ3 is in a different class than the Oor or the GSX, so I'm somewhat surprised as I have a similar love for the HE1000SE to WaveTheory.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #1,881 of 3,099
I love wavetheory, and for the most part I agree with his takes on a lot of products. We just don't hear the same thing in regards to mj3's value. I can't argue his claims because I don't have anywhere near the products on hand he does. Though, when I compared amps like GSX mk2, gsx mini, and Wa22 to mj3 it was obv mj3's above it's price in performance.
I plan on getting a Prelude in the coming months because of his positive review of it, and I plan to post comparisons when I get one. It seems retailers are choosing to not even stock the product though so hopefully that's not a sign.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,882 of 3,099
That guy is tough on all products that receive high praise, and it’s getting old fast. I haven’t heard the prelude or 281, but he more than over sold the hifiman serenade in my opinion, that thing is decent at best. Also, the soloist 3x gt 2023 sits around $2500 if I’m not mistaken, and the MJ3 stands superior to it (again, my opinion). I wouldn’t say that he likes to go against the grain but he sorta walks along those lines you know. I recall him shooting down the R26 as well and while i haven’t heard it myself, people bowed down to that DAC!! lol let’s just hope wavetheory isn’t one of those guys because I’m starting to feel like he dares to be different lol

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,883 of 3,099
My opinion of the MJ3 is completely flipped from his. I much prefer the sound of my 300 ohm hd600/650/800S over the sound of my lower impedance focal elex on the mj3. I prefer elex on more boring (and cheaper) sources like a cheap ESS chip dongle dac, or straight out of MacBook Pro.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,884 of 3,099
At least he’s not parroting anymore lmao.
We’ve moved on to edgy reviews. Not surprising.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,885 of 3,099
I don´t see how that review was that negative? Seem pretty balanced to me. With good amps you are always splitting hairs anyway. His review suggested it was a good amp and no thx awfulness. I am so with him on that one :D

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,886 of 3,099
I don´t see how that review was that negative? Seem pretty balanced to me. With good amps you are always splitting hairs anyway. His review suggested it was a good amp and no thx awfulness. I am so with him on that one :D
Not a bad review, he just insists on there being a caveat when reviewing hyped products. It could be me, who knows. I’ve had 6 products on my desk in the last 2 months (Aune S17, Aune S9c, Hifiman Serenade, Burson Soloist 3XGT, Bifrost 2/64, and MJ3) and while the Bifrost stays for now, the MJ3 stays for good! Mind you i didn’t dislike any of the products, the MJ3 really is that special.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #1,887 of 3,099
That's VERY helpful quawn. I have an MJ3 on order, might get here in April. I really like WaveTheory, but his review started me thinking do I need to spend more. For me personally, I don't think so.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #1,888 of 3,099
That's VERY helpful quawn. I have an MJ3 on order, might get here in April. I really like WaveTheory, but his review started me thinking do I need to spend more. For me personally, I don't think so.
He was right about many things, like the tuning (although his remark about the high mids being a bit forward should be taken with a grain of salt as it’s true at high volumes but absolutely excellent at normal volumes) the impact, and bass being clearly present but not thumping quite like thors hammer, all true in my opinion. However, the raw performance does indeed compete with models costing twice as much, the 3XGT being one of them hands down. The MJ3 isn’t for everyone (design wise), but when you forget that theres a huge warm 16lb truck sitting on your desk and your about 30 minutes into listening, you just get it man. You just understand lol

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,889 of 3,099

Seems to me to be a quite balanced and fair review. Not sure why people are so negative about it. It wasn't negative at all. He explained his reasoning and his sonic preferences. Just another data point in the conversation.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #1,890 of 3,099
Agree totally with Luckyleo. His reviews seem to me to be about the most honest and thorough out there. The fact he teaches college physics gives me more confidence in what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back