Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #1,726 of 3,099
Just return it and demand repair or refund. Maybe my hearing is bad. I don’t hear any of the grains or issues other reviews and owners have with this amp. Just is just smooth like honey to my ears.
The complaints I'm hearing from other people privately are not the ones described in the manual.
The things they are hearing are much more aggressive and disturbing than what the manual lists.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #1,727 of 3,099
The complaints I'm hearing from other people privately are not the ones described in the manual.
The things they are hearing are much more aggressive and disturbing than what the manual lists.
Then it’s a defective product or something is wrong down their chain. The MJ3 is a detail monster. It shows every defect of the chain from loose wires to vibration problems. I put mine on top of 4 speaker spring loaded legs which seems to help with the vibration noise people were talking about.

Here’s what I used.
What I like about these is that they don’t allow the amp to slide like the other feet. They are also pretty tall. It also keeps the MJ3 from transferring heat to my wooden shelf.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #1,728 of 3,099
Oh boy... I'm speaking with a few MJ3 owners who've had problems with the unit. I have a feeling that in the not too distant future, this thread is going to have more and more posts describing quality issues with the MJ3.
As a happy first-run MJ3 owner it's disappointing to hear that your MJ3 wasn't up to snuff ...
Hopefully you find an amp that makes your ear bones happy, and I look forward to reading about it when you do! :)

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,730 of 3,099
Good point. Might be people just passing off glitchy units. But, being as it has a 5 year warranty I wouldnt worry too much.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #1,732 of 3,099
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #1,733 of 3,099

Here’s what I used.
What I like about these is that they don’t allow the amp to slide like the other feet. They are also pretty tall. It also keeps the MJ3 from transferring heat to my wooden shelf.
I considered those but the springs looked like they would be finicky. Have they been? (like, constantly falling out or being a challenge to put into feet?)

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #1,734 of 3,099
It's a classic gaslighting technique to say, "I know people who say <bad things> about X" without ever saying what the bad things are or how those people are known.

Can we please stick to first-hand accounts?

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #1,735 of 3,099
At times, I think it's a little too bright/shrill.
I wondered if there were any problems with that. Back in the day when I used my Jot 1, my main headphones were a Grado PS1000e and an HD650. I never used the Grado with Jot, because of the brightness factor. It paired pretty well with the HD650 which IMO is a darker sounding headphone. Has anyone else thought of the Mj3 as an amp that can lead to brightness in the sound? I have one on order, it was going to replace my Niimbus, which is going to stay downstairs.

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,736 of 3,099
... Has anyone else thought of the Mj3 as an amp that can lead to brightness in the sound? ...
"Brightness" can be tricky, as discussed on the Modi MB thread. If the MJ3 makes it possible to hear a triangle being struck that you could barely hear before, is it bright, resolving or transparent?

IMO, it's resolving because I can clearly hear differences with other devices that I couldn't hear with another chain. In this sense, if something else one has is bright, MJ3 will show that to you. Most would think, in that situation, that the MJ3 introduced some brightness when in reality it just revealed some brightness that was already in the chain.

hst, I probably don't hear bright anything anymore :)

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,737 of 3,099
In my experience, MJ3 is a warmish amp more than anything. Push pull can add some cleanliness to the treble in particular and bass. If you find the MJ3 bright, it means you are using potentially a source with treble issues, or a very bright headphone, and also possibly a bright headphone cable. I agree with others that it is good to use an incisive source with MJ3 to help out with the sound, actually. My favorite headphone with MJ3 is HD800s. I have no issues with treble whatsoever with MJ3. 6x0 are great with SE and HD800s with PP. I think MJ3 really seems to suit Sennheisers - plenty of headroom with 1w of class A power at 300ohms for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #1,738 of 3,099
Recent posts got me wondering about the MJ3 on order, supposedly arriving in April. But after watching Lachfen's review, and Currawong's again, I'm not worried.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #1,739 of 3,099
Recent posts got me wondering about the MJ3 on order, supposedly arriving in April. But after watching Lachfen's review, and Currawong's again, I'm not worried.
They had me wondering about it too, but I'm staying the course! It seems most people love their MJ3's, and we do get 15 days to try it out.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #1,740 of 3,099
You can always return it for a fee or sell it off here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back