Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,682 of 3,099
Dammit now you've made me curios about the Rag 2 😅 i never listend to It having the hek stealth like me can you give me more info on the handling busy passages part with some song reference?
Thanks

Don't forget that the Rag2 uses a IMO quite terrible resistor-ladder volume control. It has noticeable input lag from the volume knob and it's always audibly clicking and popping when being adjusted, the clicking noise comes from inside the chassis (which didn't really bother me) but the popping noise comes through the headphones while listening to music (which did really bother me). To my surprise, many owners don't seem to mind it, but for me it was an instant dealbreaker. Same goes for the Lyr+. I initially thought its volume control was better than the Rag2's, but I recently got to try one again and I hated it just as much as I do the Rag2. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,683 of 3,099
Don't forget that the Rag2 uses a IMO quite terrible resistor-ladder volume control. It has noticeable input lag from the volume knob and it's always audibly clicking and popping when being adjusted, the clicking noise comes from inside the chassis (which didn't really bother me) but the popping noise comes through the headphones while listening to music (which did really bothered me). To my surprise, many owners don't seem to mind it, but for me it was an instant dealbreaker. Same goes for the Lyr+. I initially thought it was better than the Rag2, but I recently got to try one again and I hated it just as much as do the Rag2. Just my 2 cents.
After watching videos, I was certain that I couldn't live with the clicking both from the unit and the minor dropouts in the headphones when you turn the dial. Surprisingly, neither bothered me enough to sell it. I sold it for other reasons.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,684 of 3,099
I don’t want to dismiss criticism of the Mjolnir but I can’t help but wonder if some of what folks are not liking is how it reveals differences, limitations or flaws in the rest of their chain… The bass dynamics from the Ares 2 didn’t bother me when I had the Jot2 but once I upgraded to the Mj3 the lack of bass pushed me to sell the Ares. Alternately, the Mj3 really showed me how much I love aspects to the Denafrips house sound, like the sweet treble and staging, so much that I’m considering the Venus as an endgame option. A similar thing happened to me with my headphones, where I’m rethinking my collection.

That said, I do respect Lachlan’s reviews and I think his comments about grain or texture in the Mj3 aren’t totally off base.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #1,687 of 3,099
Schiit doing the Fat shaming.... probably the reason why Zeos doesn't like Schiit products very much....
Bwahahahahahaha. Those sausage fingers.

I love that guy.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #1,688 of 3,099
Schiit gears saved my wallet. It landed me right into the middle of hi-fi territory without the exuberant costs. If people want slightly better quality, they’d have to prepare at least twice as much money.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,689 of 3,099
In some ways, yes.
I feel the added power of the Rag 2 controlled my HEK Stealth better during complex material.
My MJ3 is probably fully broken in by now (around 100 hours). At times, I think it's a little too bright/shrill.

If I had to do it over again, I would have probably kept the Rag 2 and never purchased the MJ3.
As I said in another post the MJ3 has a touch more sweetness and romanticism but it certainly isn't the difference I thought it was going to be. If I never heard the Rag 2 and I went straight to the MJ3, I would have been much more impressed. The MJ3 is a decent amplifier, however I don't think it's as good as many of the posts in this thread claim it to be. To a newbie reading this thread, they would assume that the MJ3 is god-tier. I really wouldn't go that far. Like I said, it's a decent amplifier that does some things very well.

To make matters worse for the MJ3, out of curiosity I tried the headphone output of my Lindemann Musicbook and the sound I was getting wasn't $1,300 less than what the MJ3 provided. Yes the MJ3 had more resolution and control but not $1,300 more. It was pretty darn close actually.

So, I think I'm going to go in a different direction. I'm within my 15-day trial period so I received an RA number last night.
You heard about the Flux Mentor?

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #1,690 of 3,099
Dammit now you've made me curios about the Rag 2 😅 i never listend to It having the hek stealth like me can you give me more info on the handling busy passages part with some song reference?
Thanks
For those interested, Amazon has Rag2 in silver for 1299 right now.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #1,691 of 3,099
I don’t want to dismiss criticism of the Mjolnir but I can’t help but wonder if some of what folks are not liking is how it reveals differences, limitations or flaws in the rest of their chain… The bass dynamics from the Ares 2 didn’t bother me when I had the Jot2 but once I upgraded to the Mj3 the lack of bass pushed me to sell the Ares. Alternately, the Mj3 really showed me how much I love aspects to the Denafrips house sound, like the sweet treble and staging, so much that I’m considering the Venus as an endgame option. A similar thing happened to me with my headphones, where I’m rethinking my collection.

That said, I do respect Lachlan’s reviews and I think his comments about grain or texture in the Mj3 aren’t totally off base.
This is one Helluva hobby LMAO
Some days it's cursed, others it's glorious.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,694 of 3,099
I'm familiar with the brand but not the model. I did a quick Google search. Looks interesting...
Yeah i think im sold. Works great with Tungsten, class A goodness. Hell I even like that they are Ukrainians building in Kharkiv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back