Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #1,471 of 2,798
I also just got in my MJ3 today. The Yggy GS made my bass tighter, sharper, and more pronounced while the MJ3 made the bass have more rumbling timbre while the mids and highs have less sibilance. Very enjoyable.
sounds like a fantastic pairing. With the Stealths?

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #1,472 of 2,798
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #1,473 of 2,798
sounds like a fantastic pairing. With the Stealths?
Yes, the stealths sounds amazing on the MJ3. I’m just going through all my HPs to see how they sound. It certainly has much more power and clarity than my Jot2.

However, my Grados didn’t like the MJ3. It made the HP have sibilance on high frequencies. The Hemp (not burnt in) became unbearable to listen to. The Grado SR2e did much better. Strangely, they do much better on the Magni Unity, instead.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,474 of 2,798
Yes, the stealths sounds amazing on the MJ3. I’m just going through all my HPs to see how they sound. It certainly has much more power and clarity than my Jot2.

However, my Grados didn’t like the MJ3. It made the HP have sibilance on high frequencies. The Hemp (not burnt in) became unbearable to listen to. The Grado SR2e did much better. Strangely, they do much better on the Magni Unity, instead.
That's what I wanna hear! Jot is no slouch. Did you try Push-Pull on the Grados (ofc u did but im still askin')
There is no perfect all-arounders I've found. And that's great in a way bc it keeps the synergy puzzle game going strong. I can't wait to get my Mjonir3, Bro. And Then I can eye a YGGY GS or hopefully the new Gumby will be sick and out again soon. After reading Jason's book over in the monster Schiit Happened thread has me really liking these cats and I want a Mike Moffat DAC fasho.

What even is the difference between the Yggy+ and the Yggy GS? Bc that price difference goes from pure unobtanium for me to a possible.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #1,475 of 2,798
That's what I wanna hear! Jot is no slouch. Did you try Push-Pull on the Grados (ofc u did but im still askin')
There is no perfect all-arounders I've found. And that's great in a way bc it keeps the synergy puzzle game going strong. I can't wait to get my Mjonir3, Bro. And Then I can eye a YGGY GS or hopefully the new Gumby will be sick and out again soon. After reading Jason's book over in the monster Schiit Happened thread has me really liking these cats and I want a Mike Moffat DAC fasho.

What even is the difference between the Yggy+ and the Yggy GS? Bc that price difference goes from pure unobtanium for me to a possible.
The Yggy GS2 is the Yggy + chassis with the most recent firmware update, but the boards are used A1 boards (from original Yggy). Owners were given the opportunity to trade-in their A1 boards for the new (at the time) A2 boards. They got a lot of them back in trade and use them in the GS2 to use them up. Sounds great in my opinion!

Leo

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,476 of 2,798
Has anyone received a shipping notification this week?? A full week with no new shipping notifications??

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,477 of 2,798
The Yggy GS2 is the Yggy + chassis with the most recent firmware update, but the boards are used A1 boards (from original Yggy). Owners were given the opportunity to trade-in their A1 boards for the new (at the time) A2 boards. They got a lot of them back in trade and use them in the GS2 to use them up. Sounds great in my opinion!

Leo
Yeah that's pretty much as pro-sumers as a company can really get.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #1,478 of 2,798
Based on previous reviews, I didn't expect to care much for PP or feedback modes... and I don't care for feedback, but I actually really like PP for classical, especially with the HD800.

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #1,479 of 2,798
Based on previous reviews, I didn't expect to care much for PP or feedback modes... and I don't care for feedback, but I actually really like PP for classical, especially with the HD800.
Does it bring in the sound or expand it?

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #1,480 of 2,798
Does it bring in the sound or expand it?

PP mode loses a little dynamics and smoothness vs SE mode, but it adds focus, detail, and texture, particularly in the higher frequencies. The loss in dynamics doesn't matter for classical, which is already dynamic af, and the extra detail/texture makes horns and strings sound more real, especially in the upper registers. I also feel like maybe there's a very slight bass roll-off for PP vs SE with less slam? But that could also just be the loss of dynamics.

Just switched from classical ("Mythologies" by Anna Clyne) to "Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino and I definitely prefer the dynamics/slam and smoothness of SE mode, but PP is really, really good for classical.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,481 of 2,798
PP mode loses a little dynamics and smoothness vs SE mode, but it adds focus, detail, and texture, particularly in the higher frequencies. The loss in dynamics doesn't matter for classical, which is already dynamic af, and the extra detail/texture makes horns and strings sound more real, especially in the upper registers. I also feel like maybe there's a very slight bass roll-off for PP vs SE with less slam? But that could also just be the loss of dynamics.

Just switched from classical ("Mythologies" by Anna Clyne) to "Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino and I definitely prefer the dynamics/slam and smoothness of SE mode, but PP is really, really good for classical.
Great info, Man. I do appreciate your posts. I've read several now where you just have a knack for explaining things.

Yes, of course the important thing is "which mode for X genre vs Y". So, yeah, a little bass roll-off when you are listening to Frederick Chopin doesn't matter but the extra detail certainly is great. Or, better as you said, detail and texture; wonderful additions to classical.

So, it would stand to reason that rap, rock, edm, pop, etc would be best in Single-Ended. I dislike thinking about "lost " potential detail in modern music, of course, but more dynamics and slam are going to be the more meaningful characteristics. Very cool that the option is there.

So, where does the feedback fit in to all this? I guess it'd be rare-to-use but there must be some use cases. Maybe certain cans?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #1,482 of 2,798
To be honest, I don't care for feedback at all. It seems to reduce dynamics and adds a slight haze to the sound.

Maybe someone else who uses feedback can comment?

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #1,483 of 2,798
feedback mode needs more time with my ears, but mostly not using...but, the push-pull, having fun with that. just listened to Glenn Gould goldburg variation, and good. now onto PJ Harvey disc and push-pull a bit heavy handed....

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #1,484 of 2,798
To be honest, I don't care for feedback at all. It seems to reduce dynamics and adds a slight haze to the sound.

Maybe someone else who uses feedback can comment?

That's exactly what I heard when switching the feedback on and off on the MJ3.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #1,485 of 2,798
I did end up using SE mode more. The push pull sounded too sharp for the HEK stealth. I could even hear a bit distortion on Pushpull mode on high volumes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back