Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #1,456 of 3,096
What has been the general break-in time period for the MJ3?
A day or two, I think is the consensus. Then 1/2-1hr warmup before peak on a daily basis.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #1,457 of 3,096
Those are some fine looking cables! My lottery-winner cables are the Hapa Audio ones. Some say they sound good but are they gorgeous to my eyes.
Oh, wow, those are gorgeous- truly jewelry!
Thanks, too.
Norne Cables are surprisingly affordable , especially for thick, chonky 17awg cables. Trevor is a good dude.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #1,458 of 3,096
Oh, wow, those are gorgeous- truly jewelry!
Thanks, too.
Norne Cables are surprisingly affordable , especially for thick, chonky 17awg cables. Trevor is a good dude.
For the price, I’d rather get the ZMFs for less cost. I got my Grand palladium 6 ft long when it was on sale for about 500 usd vs 900 silver of the norne.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #1,459 of 3,096
Have you tried the Monk and Coltrane CD in push-pull, feedback off mode?

:beerchug:
JC
I seem to go back and forth between using low gain or high gain, but at present I'm using low gain since I rarely have to go past 12:00 on the volume pot. I used to use SE Class A for my dynamics and Push Pull for my planars, but now I just leave it in Push Pull all the time. Ask me next week and I might be using high gain and SE again, who knows.
Listened to the Sam Philips 'Martinis and Bikinis' tonight with the Push-Pull switch on. It is as if I've never used the Push-Pull mode before, but wow! Urd is excellent in timing with Audioquest cinnamon USB into the Bifrost, and sure, the Yggy is reportedly way better, but Yggy will have to wait. The Freya+tube gain gives me a cleaner 'high gain' than does the MJ3 high gain switch, maybe that's just tube-psych. MJ3 volume at 0800, a comfortable level with details deep in the mix and solid bass and drum plus the almost scolding quality of this female voice. Back to Monk and Coltrane in the morning

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,460 of 3,096
I friggin can't wait to hear your impressions. I am leaning towards the MJ3 as I don't have speakers, but, I'm curious the H2H for sure. I know you are leaving town shortly but give us the early impressions tomorrow or something!
I'm with you, i love the audio jewelry, too. I had to retire 15-20 years early due to health so I don't have as much expendable as I'd really like and have to pick my shots. But, with HE1000 Stealth and THESE fresh Norne Drausk/Skolvar hybrid Custom Cables I'm getting pretty amazing music at this point. The K9 Pro ESS is great but I can't wait to get a Mjonir 3, hopefully in April.
Then I'm going to be craving for a YGGY or the return of Gungnir this year.norne.jpg
That cable is Thiccc 😍

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #1,461 of 3,096
For the price, I’d rather get the ZMFs for less cost. I got my Grand palladium 6 ft long when it was on sale for about 500 usd vs 900 silver of the norne.
I got this one for about the same. Contacting Trevor sometimes yields better than the advertised deal.
That said i do love the palladium. Also pure silver is up there. Lavricables might be the way to go there.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #1,462 of 3,096
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #1,464 of 3,096
Have you done any experiments using the MJ3 as a preamp after the Dave to other amps and does it carry the plankton better than running Dave direct to them?
I'm using the MJ3 as a preamp when it comes time to listen to my Odyssey Lorelei floorstanders. They're driven by a Lindemann Power 500 Hypex Ncore amplifier. It's obviously still early as I just got the MJ3 last night but I was really digging it's ability. I heard plenty of detail and resolution that I know the amplifier is capable of come right through. Stage was wide and plenty deep for my tastes.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #1,465 of 3,096
This MJ3 is a straight up winner. @JasonStoddard didn't even know fully how good what he was making was going to be when they engineered this. He was skeptical that we would want one! HA!
The old-school chokes have a definite positive impact on the quality it's sounding like.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,466 of 3,096
Here are my initial impressions of Mjolnir 3, coming from Jotunheim 2, after a few days of continuous burn-in/warm-up time:
  • Soundstage is much deeper and slightly wider
  • Fine details and textures pop out more easily
  • Maintains coherence/cohesion during chaotic passages extremely well
  • Bass slams like a... well, like a hammer
Overall, this is a satisfying upgrade from Jotunheim 2. I was mostly looking for better coherence during busy passages since I listen to a lot of metal and classical which can both be demanding in this sense, and I'm happy to report that Mjolnir 3 excels in that regard: it holds together perfectly and maintains full separation and detail no matter how dense things get.

A winner, indeed!

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #1,468 of 3,096
Here are my initial impressions of Mjolnir 3, coming from Jotunheim 2, after a few days of continuous burn-in/warm-up time:
  • Soundstage is much deeper and slightly wider
  • Fine details and textures pop out more easily
  • Maintains coherence/cohesion during chaotic passages extremely well
  • Bass slams like a... well, like a hammer
Overall, this is a satisfying upgrade from Jotunheim 2. I was mostly looking for better coherence during busy passages since I listen to a lot of metal and classical which can both be demanding in this sense, and I'm happy to report that Mjolnir 3 excels in that regard: it holds together perfectly and maintains full separation and detail no matter how dense things get.

A winner, indeed!
Can't wait to join the gang.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #1,469 of 3,096
I also just got in my MJ3 today. The Yggy GS made my bass tighter, sharper, and more pronounced while the MJ3 made the bass have more rumbling timbre while the mids and highs have less sibilance. Very enjoyable.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #1,470 of 3,096

Users who are viewing this thread

Back