Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,426 of 2,798
It has finally arrived!

Top: Schiit Mjolnir 3 (obviously)
Middle: Gustard R26 DAC
Bottom: Pi2AES, Aune XC1, fiber optic media converters
Also shoutout to the ZMF Grand Silver Palladium cable driving the Atticus!

Right away, it's significantly cleaner than Jotunheim 2, holds together better during chaotic/complex passages, and presents a deeper stage. More impressions to come with burn-in.

I also like Pangea cables, but mostly DIY my own power cables. It's really easy if you can braid cables.

Attachments

• 2024-02-12 15.25.18.jpg
    2024-02-12 15.25.18.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,427 of 2,798
Very, very nice!
Are you running balanced into the MJ3?

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #1,428 of 2,798
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #1,429 of 2,798
It has finally arrived!

Top: Schiit Mjolnir 3 (obviously)
Middle: Gustard R26 DAC
Bottom: Pi2AES, Aune XC1, fiber optic media converters
Also shoutout to the ZMF Grand Silver Palladium cable driving the Atticus!

Right away, it's significantly cleaner than Jotunheim 2, holds together better during chaotic/complex passages, and presents a deeper stage. More impressions to come with burn-in.

I also like Pangea cables, but mostly DIY my own power cables. It's really easy if you can braid cables.
Congratz my friend.

If you don't mind me asking, what are those shelves your using for your set-up and where can I get them?

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,430 of 2,798
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,432 of 2,798
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #1,433 of 2,798
I finally got mine (black) I ordered after Thanksgiving today. Loving it so far, it’s probably the first amp I’ve gotten that can truly maintain all the micro-detail from my DAVE but giving it that extra sweetness to round out the sound. I have others that pair very well with it but always seem to lose something in translation while gaining other traits.
This is good info. I have a Chord Dave and the problem you’re describing it having with other amps is very real. If the MJ3 can maintain all that is good from the Dave and add what’s missing from its overall sound then I really need to hear this amp.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #1,434 of 2,798
Side note: I've been breaking in the ZMF Bokeh with the Mj3 and I'm kinda digging this headphone with feedback on. This amp continues to surprise me. As much as I dig it when you can set it and forget it, I also dig it when multiple setting are useful.
cool on the ZMF..been looking over the range of ZMF...someday. one set LCD2 for now.
I've been listening to MJ3 with the three switches down for some weeks. Switched over from a study of PJ Harvey to Thelonious Monk just recent. found this one disc Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie to sound a bit lean, but switching to feedback on, is better...so sticking with feedback switch up for a while. Found this other 2 disc set of Monk with big band and quartet recorded concert Philharmonic Hall 1963 to be in my ears excellent...

IMG_2702.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,435 of 2,798
What are you finding preferable with feedback turned on? I can’t say I’ve given it much of a chance on my MJ3.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #1,436 of 2,798
Initially I found on a disc with Female vocal that switching feedback on was a definite no. and I've left it switched off. On that disc, Sam Philips : Martinis&Bikinis, feedback on seemed to diminish her upfront breathy voice, setting it slightly back in the mix. Recently with several PJ Harvey discs, all three switches off which is normal for most of what I might listen to. But the Monk and Coltrane live recording felt too lean, but switching on feedback made me feel the sound was fuller, and maybe warmer. So I'm leaving the feedback switch up as I go thru some more Monk and Mingus, switch it back off after some time.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,437 of 2,798
This is just based on my listening observations but with the Bokeh, switching feedback on makes the Mj3 drier and arguably less interesting, but it allows the Bokeh to have a bit of a sharper leading edge against the acoustic resonances of the cup's internal damping.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #1,438 of 2,798
cool on the ZMF..been looking over the range of ZMF...someday. one set LCD2 for now.
I've been listening to MJ3 with the three switches down for some weeks. Switched over from a study of PJ Harvey to Thelonious Monk just recent. found this one disc Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie to sound a bit lean, but switching to feedback on, is better...so sticking with feedback switch up for a while. Found this other 2 disc set of Monk with big band and quartet recorded concert Philharmonic Hall 1963 to be in my ears excellent...

IMG_2702.jpeg

Have you tried the Monk and Coltrane CD in push-pull, feedback off mode?

:beerchug:
JC

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,439 of 2,798
Have you tried the Monk and Coltrane CD in push-pull, feedback off mode?

:beerchug:
JC
yes. just now. different time of day, different listening mood. still early west coast time. Listened to the first track "monk's mood". The sound of the recording is good, different than previously thinking it 'lean'. I'll have to listen more. Push-pull, feedback off is good, and so is all switches off, maybe preferred. Feedback mode on...maybe not what I thought previously. The differences not so differentiated this morning.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #1,440 of 2,798
I seem to go back and forth between using low gain or high gain, but at present I'm using low gain since I rarely have to go past 12:00 on the volume pot. I used to use SE Class A for my dynamics and Push Pull for my planars, but now I just leave it in Push Pull all the time. Ask me next week and I might be using high gain and SE again, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back