Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,381 of 2,798
Here's my 24 hour review....

Thurston smirk.gif

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,383 of 2,798
That's a big number. Lol.
Curious how the Mjolnir compares to the Ragnarok on your Stealths; even already knowing it'll probably sound "better".

Anybody here with a Ferrum Oor w/ HYPSOS and Mjolnir3?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,384 of 2,798
It beats everything I've tried under £3000. I have never tried anything over this.
I'm interested in hearing details about your various experiences. What amps have you heard before that you believe the MJ3 exceeds?

I'm a curious guy! What can I say.

Leo

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,385 of 2,798
Curious how the Mjolnir compares to the Ragnarok on your Stealths; even already knowing it'll probably sound "better".

Anybody here with a Ferrum Oor w/ HYPSOS and Mjolnir3?
Believe me, so am I. It's all I've been thinking about.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,386 of 2,798
I'm interested in hearing details about your various experiences. What amps have you heard before that you believe the MJ3 exceeds?

I'm a curious guy! What can I say.

Leo
Yes, good question. I'd like to know what amps the poster has heard in comparison.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,387 of 2,798
So, after all this fun, I’m just wondering - is there common consensus that MJ3 is currently the best headamp under 1500, or is it still “it depends”? :) I already have an order and made the decision, but I don’t want to play that game to try and change.

The problem is I can’t test it before buy. It’s the same with things like Violectric, Flux or whatever. Here where I am, nothing can be tested, just ordered (thanks for that at least).
I think everything's got a little of "it depends" to it, just because of gear matching. But my guess is the sound quality is good enough you’d consider upgrading your other gear and keeping the Mj3 instead. At least the amp will make it easy and reveal any flaws in your chain 😂

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #1,388 of 2,798
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #1,389 of 2,798
I bet! I vote to postpone the Florida trip :wink:
LMAO!!!

I'm going to Florida to meet up two friends who are audio nuts like us and we are going to the Florida expo show. I feel as though the whole time I'm there all I'm going to think about is MY DAMN MJ3 IS HOME IN NEW JERSEY AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT NOW!

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #1,390 of 2,798
Yes, good question. I'd like to know what amps the poster has heard in comparison.
Sure. I'll just comment on things I have owned and lived with for a while, rather than heard in listening sessions:

Burson Soloist 3XGT, class A. I found the MJ3 miles better than this, which was far too dry for me.
McIntosh MHA200, Tube. This is close to the MJ3, but I preferred the MJ3's extra musicality and life. (This costs a chunk more in the UK than the US which is why I said £3000.)
Chord Hugo 2. MJ3 is much better on musicality, but to be fair I have it connected to a Chord DAC.
Lehmann Linear II. Had me searching still.
Dave and M Scaler: adding an MJ3 makes this sound better than just plugging right into the Dave's headphone socket, although the DAVE is marketed as a headphone amp at times. My assessment of the D/MS is they're brilliant DACs but need a dedicated headphone amp. Which is a. not ideal, and b. the MJ3 is for my headphones.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #1,391 of 2,798
Sure. I'll just comment on things I have owned and lived with for a while, rather than heard in listening sessions:

Burson Soloist 3XGT, class A. I found the MJ3 miles better than this, which was far too dry for me.
McIntosh MHA200, Tube. This is close to the MJ3, but I preferred the MJ3's extra musicality and life. (This costs a chunk more in the UK than the US which is why I said £3000.)
Chord Hugo 2. MJ3 is much better on musicality, but to be fair I have it connected to a Chord DAC.
Lehmann Linear II. Had me searching still.
Dave and M Scaler: adding an MJ3 makes this sound better than just plugging right into the Dave's headphone socket, although the DAVE is marketed as a headphone amp at times. My assessment of the D/MS is they're brilliant DACs but need a dedicated headphone amp. Which is a. not ideal, and b. the MJ3 is for my headphones.
Wow. Pretty impressive.
Thank you.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #1,392 of 2,798
funny thing happened on the way to the forum...never been into headphones, never a headphone amp....bought the Mjolnir3 deaf and blind..bought an old used LCD2.
I have no clue about all the other great headphones and headphone amps out there. Slowly to find other headphones later, no need for headphone amps. Fortunately, by the time I found head-fi.org, my wallet was already empty

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #1,393 of 2,798
LMAO!!!

I'm going to Florida to meet up two friends who are audio nuts like us and we are going to the Florida expo show. I feel as though the whole time I'm there all I'm going to think about is MY DAMN MJ3 IS HOME IN NEW JERSEY AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT NOW!
\It's definitely perfectly true-to-form for this mad lad hobby. I can see you going around the meet only looking for a Mjolnir3 lolol

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #1,394 of 2,798
I haven’t listened to my Mod House Argons in a number of years on my main setup. I keep them upstairs for late-night tv watching when I don’t want to disturb the family.

Well tonight I got the urge to see how they’d sound on the MJ3. My set is single-ended, which I regret now, but I didn’t have any balanced amps back when I got them. Even without a balanced cable, these sound amazing on the MJ3! The bass these headphones are so known for is extremely well-controlled with the MJ3. I’m in low-gain in push pull mode with no feedback and the volume is between 11:00-12:00. I used to drive these with the Emotiva A100 speaker amp, but I swear they never sounded this good back then.

I have a much better setup now, so who knows how much of what I’m hearing is the amp and what is the Yggy. Nevertheless, I’m very impressed at how good these sub-$400 planars sound. They are a smooth listen without any harshness to speak of. Two thumbs up!

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #1,395 of 2,798
How long does it take to get to Anchorage?
Will you use it to help keep you warm :) ?
With USPS Priority Mail usually 2-3 days same as the rest of the US, my expected delivery is Monday. Anchorage is the worlds third busiest air cargo hub, so generally things are fast getting here. My Meze Liric only took two days to arrive from Romania with DHL Express and that was the free shipping method they used. Its only bad if the cheapest budget shipping method is used such as media mail for example as they come up on an ocean barge and take 4-6 weeks.

Let's say I have not been to particularly worried about the comments regarding its heat, we just recently finished up two weeks of record breaking cold and I will take anything that can add some warmth as a side benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back