Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #1,321 of 2,767
Yeah, im an HE1000 Stealth guy myself and I am looking to snag a Mjolnir 3 asap. The DAC I have I don't dislike at all but I hear all the R2R hype all the time.
😂😂 Ok i get It now, me too and i had tried the bifrost 2/64 and gone to the cyan 2 hoping to be settled but in my case i found out that the Frerot with Pow 1 enanches all the traits that i love of the stealth with the genre i listen, i think that the r2r Is not my thing.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,322 of 2,767
😂😂 Ok i get It now, me too and i had tried the bifrost 2/64 and gone to the cyan 2 hoping to be settled but in my case i found out that the Frerot with Pow 1 enanches all the traits that i love of the stealth with the genre i listen, i think that the r2r Is not my thing.
I suspect I might be the same way because to me there is such a thing as "too smooth".

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,325 of 2,767
To everyone waiting, I've had my MJ3 for two months, listened to it every day, and it's going to be a permanent fixture in my endgame system. The wait is worth it.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,326 of 2,767
Had the bifrost 2/64 the cyan 2 If you like the bifrost signature Is the next upgrade for sure.
In my case the sinergy with the stealth was off as i explaind in the cyan 2 discussion, i'm not into hqplayer ecc and the cyan 2 closed the soundstage for me having the sound signature in front row and a lot of depth giving me a tunnel effect, but with the se or other hp like zmf i bet the cyan 2 Will pair great in my opinion.
In my case once i'll have the refund i'll get back the merason Frerot really loved that dac shouldn't have sold It but as i was saying you try and find out the signature you like for the music you listen, Is One of the beautiful aspects of this hobby at the end of the day you ears and your usage Is what matters. Considering all this the fact that i'm settled on the Mjolnir 3 speakes volumes on how good of an amp It is for me 😁.
I literally can’t wait till my MJ3 arrives, but to touch up on the dac stuff, the reason i like the Bifrost is because it sits somewhere between d/s and r2r, it’s really Schiits multibit approach that does it atleast for me, so as far as upgrades, I’d say it’s the yggy for me, or even the gungnir 2 thats been confirmed by Schiit, r2r was always too loose and lush for me (atleast from the stuff I’ve heard) and d/s was always too tight and lifeless for me.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,327 of 2,767
I literally can’t wait till my MJ3 arrives, but to touch up on the dac stuff, the reason i like the Bifrost is because it sits somewhere between d/s and r2r, it’s really Schiits multibit approach that does it atleast for me, so as far as upgrades, I’d say it’s the yggy for me, or even the gungnir 2 thats been confirmed by Schiit, r2r was always too loose and lush for me (atleast from the stuff I’ve heard) and d/s was always too tight and lifeless for me.
What R2R DACs were too loose and lush?

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,328 of 2,767
A seller on eBay was auctioning off a Ladder Schumann DAC so I grabbed it because my whole system is S right now and while it sounds wonderful, I am compelled to diversify at least a little. It's still burning in (yes I'm a believer) but it's slowly getting more euphonic. Anyways, one thing I noticed moving from the Bifrost 2/64 to the Schumann is that the latter is more unforgiving of compressed audio via USB or coax. Even 256 kbps AAC sounds notably more artifacty on the Schumann than on the Bifrost. At least through this truth teller of an amp. All that is to say, the upgrade-itis is really just not slowing down for me, despite my tastes getting more high-end :cry: I am experimenting with I2S now because why not really just overdo it and aim for a DDC? Which is only really possible because DAPs exist and are so useful and awesome.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #1,329 of 2,767
speaking from the things I’ve heard, the ares and hifiman serenade (both r2r), even the ru7. To be a bit more specific they all shared the same traits to me, different levels Ofcorse, but they were all full, smooth, and just too soft for me. I do get the r2r hype though, i get it, voices do sound more true to life. I get a really easy laid back listen with them, but the music as a whole just doesn’t do it for me. it’s like r2r lives in the mids and mids only, like the hd600 series. Their good at what their good at you know, atleast from my experience.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #1,330 of 2,767
speaking from the things I’ve heard, the ares and hifiman serenade (both r2r), even the ru7. To be a bit more specific they all shared the same traits to me, different levels Ofcorse, but they were all full, smooth, and just too soft for me. I do get the r2r hype though, i get it, voices do sound more true to life. I get a really easy laid back listen with them, but the music as a whole just doesn’t do it for me. it’s like r2r lives in the mids and mids only, like the hd600 series. Their good at what their good at you know, atleast from my experience.
I have a hard time telling apart my Airist R2R and my Bifrost 2/64 unless I am comparing them back to back with a switch box. You must have pretty good ears!
Telling the difference between ladder style and delta sigma is easy. Differenting between two ladder DACs or two delta sigma DACs is very difficult for me.

Do any of you know if using splitter cables from my DAC to two amps simultaneously will affect the sound? Does it like split the voltage or something? Currently I use that OneLittleBear switchbox from NobSound instead of splitter cables.

example splitter cable: https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Split...disino+xlr+splitter+cable,aps,155&sr=8-3&th=1

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #1,331 of 2,767
I have a hard time telling apart my Airist R2R and my Bifrost 2/64 unless I am comparing them back to back with a switch box. You must have pretty good ears!
Telling the difference between ladder style and delta sigma is easy. Differenting between two ladder DACs or two delta sigma DACs is very difficult for me.

Do any of you know if using splitter cables from my DAC to two amps simultaneously will affect the sound? Does it like split the voltage or something? Currently I use that OneLittleBear switchbox from NobSound instead of splitter cables.

example splitter cable: https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Splitter-Balanced-Microphone-Adaptor/dp/B07DHHF2BD/ref=sr_1_3_pp?crid=1BUUYHLGBVWAV&keywords=Disino+XLR+Splitter+Cable&qid=1707363774&sprefix=disino+xlr+splitter+cable,aps,155&sr=8-3&th=1
Back in 2019, I had Airist R2R and Gungnir MB and it was pretty easy to tell them apart. Bass was stronger and mids were more natural out of Gungnir and felt more plasticky out of Airist in direct comparison.
It’s another thing that I still have Airist R2R and enjoy it from time to time at my desk. Never got a chance to compare it with Bifrost though.

The best way to compare I feel is not A-B but listen to a device for a week or 10 days till you get used to it and then switch and you will notice the difference immediately. A-B comparison using switch doesn’t work all the time.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #1,332 of 2,767

Denafrips (non 12th Anniversary), Hifiman R2R, Airist R2R, Schiit Bifrost 1 Multibit, Schiit Modi 1 Multibit

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #1,333 of 2,767
Back in 2019, I had Airist R2R and Gungnir MB and it was pretty easy to tell them apart. Bass was stronger and mids were more natural out of Gungnir and felt more plasticky out of Airist in direct comparison.
It’s another thing that I still have Airist R2R and enjoy it from time to time at my desk. Never got a chance to compare it with Bifrost though.

The best way to compare I feel is not A-B but listen to a device for a week or 10 days till you get used to it and then switch and you will notice the difference immediately. A-B comparison using switch doesn’t work all the time.
Yes I agree completely. Comparing components over the years, I find quickie A/B is for discerning frequency response differences (this one is brighter, etc.) But the full essence (true timbre, space, alive dynamics and presentation) shows over hours and days of listening to and enjoying (or not) music.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,334 of 2,767
I ordered mine on 11/27/23 and received an email on 2/6/24 that mine was ready to ship but my PayPal authorization had expired, and they sent me a new invoice through PayPal to pay. I paid on the same day and received shipping notice tracking info. today 2/8/24. So, keep an eye out for an email if you ordered with PayPal a while ago as it might need to be reauthorized and cause a shipping delay if you miss it.

Edit 2/10: Ordered a Silver unit to match my Gungnir Multibit.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,335 of 2,767
I ordered mine on 11/27/23 and received an email on 2/6/24 that mine was ready to ship but my PayPal authorization had expired, and they sent me a new invoice through PayPal to pay. I paid on the same day and received shipping notice tracking info. today 2/8/24. So, keep an eye out for an email if you ordered with PayPal a while ago as it might need to be reauthorized and cause a shipping delay if you miss it.
How long does it take to get to Anchorage?
Will you use it to help keep you warm :) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back