Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,276 of 3,099
Anyone else's MJ3 from the first run have a gain switch go a little wonky? When flipping to high gain the right channel bumps immediately but left stays in low gain. Have to slightly wiggle the switch for the left channel to jump. While it's a minor inconvenience that I don't believe is worth paying shipping both ways to repair, it does annoy me slightly. Have only had it about 5 months now.
either the port has a problem, your cable, or your hp. If you have another amp to test it out it would be good.

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,278 of 3,099
... it sucks to wait multiple months on something you really want, ...
I've heard mention of an amp (or something) manufacturer that takes multiple quarters of a year to deliver. We'll see if Schiit can be better than that....
Anyone else's MJ3 from the first run have a gain switch go a little wonky? ...
How often are you using the gain switch? I haven't touched mine....

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #1,279 of 3,099
I have the S17 in for review. It's a bit behind the MJ3. Similar kind of dynamics to the sound, but a bit more "closed-in"-sounding, making the bass seem a bit warmer, but more entertaining with headphones in some respects,
Could you please share some more comparison insights between MJ3 and S17? From all I read, it seems like S17 is indeed slightly warmer sounding, more into bass as MJ3, which could be a good thing when pairing with HE1000SE. But it's half the price of MJ3 which is already well priced. So what exactly is that detail that separates them technically? I would assume the dual mono architecture of MJ3 is more demanding.
Both are Class A, So what exactly do I lose when picking S17 over MJ3.. Maybe the S17 runs even hotter than MJ3 (up to 69 degrees).

Though one thing is clear - I hate that big front display on S17, I'd just need to cover that with something thick CNC made probably :).. Aesthetic-wise I totally prefer MJ3.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,280 of 3,099
Both are Class A, So what exactly do I lose when picking S17 over MJ3.. Maybe the S17 runs even hotter than MJ3 (up to 69 degrees).
I went for MJ3 instead of S17 because the S17 thread is full of temperature issues. MJ3 just lets you sleep better. :wink: Including 5 years warranty. My MJ3 hardly becomes hot and I don't need any fans.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,281 of 3,099
Could you please share some more comparison insights between MJ3 and S17? From all I read, it seems like S17 is indeed slightly warmer sounding, more into bass as MJ3, which could be a good thing when pairing with HE1000SE. But it's half the price of MJ3 which is already well priced. So what exactly is that detail that separates them technically? I would assume the dual mono architecture of MJ3 is more demanding.

Though one thing is clear - I hate that big front display on S17, I'd just need to cover that with something thick CNC made probably :).. Aesthetic-wise I totally prefer MJ3.
I'm also an owner of the S17 for some months, I think the MJ3 is more powerful than the S17 because I seen reports that the S17 cannot drive Tungsten SS version adequately enough but the MJ3 drives them completely fine, so the S17 might have less juice in the power department, that's if you have very demanding cans, like really demanding, the S17 might struggle a bit.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #1,282 of 3,099
I went for MJ3 instead of S17 because the S17 thread is full of temperature issues. MJ3 just lets you sleep better. :wink: Including 5 years warranty. My MJ3 hardly becomes hot and I don't need any fans.
There may have been some QC issues in the first batch of the S17, but except for two issues I had that I solved by switching cables, my S17 hasn't gone up pass 61 degrees, which is well within the recommended temps by the manufacture, and that's without having the turn my make-shift cooling fan solution for the amp

It's also a kind of misunderstood issue with the temps, what happens is if you reach 69 degrees, the amp will automatically switch back to 50ma mode, it doesn't turn off or anything like that, but if you mainly prefer the 100ma it can be kind of annoying but I think the owners of S17 are overreacting a little bit with the temp concerns, and I include myself in that bunch, but bottom line, for the price is really hard to beat the proposition that Aune is making with this amp.

The reason that I'm deeply interested in the MJ3 is because I like the Schiit house sound, I've own both a magni heresy and magni+ and because I'm interested in the ModHouse SS tungsten HP and in case that my S17 cannot drive them well enough and to my satisfaction, I want to know if MJ3 is going to do that and if this is going to be an overall upgrade from my current amp.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,283 of 3,099
Has anyone received shipping notification for a MJ3 since the website change on 1/24?

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #1,284 of 3,099
Has anyone received shipping notification for a MJ3 since the website change on 1/24?
So far just one person this week who placed their order 11/19. I’m guessing they’re shipping in order which makes sense, i can’t imagine them shipping out but so many orders in a day, the waiting is becoming annoying though

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #1,285 of 3,099
It would be nice if it was transparent on how estimated wait for each micro batch of order is or what backlog is. Some kickstarter projects would have batches and shipping schedules being transparently displayed when they start shipping so that you can manage expectation, etc. Proactive vs reactive. Feels like to me Schiit has gone on reactive solution for this product which I am not appreciating. I've been waiting for 2 months now. The only person who posted here got his shipped after 2.5 months of waiting it seems.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,286 of 3,099

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,288 of 3,099
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,289 of 3,099
Oh, I thought that Luckyleo reduced the issue to one manageable point! 🤪🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,290 of 3,099
Oh, I thought that Luckyleo reduced the issue to one manageable point! 🤪🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Says the other supremus lol you guys have spent way too much time on here

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back