Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #1,246 of 3,097
I can't wait to get MJ3. See how it stacks up against the mighty Niimbus and the gsx mini too.

Listening to Yggy - Niimbus into my speaker rig in the basement, sounds great!!
VERY much looking forward to that...

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,248 of 3,097
This amp may be too good for me. I'm not a critical headphone listener. I use headphones while working or mucking around on the computer.

System: Mac Mini to Bifrost 2/64 to MJ3 to HifiMan Ananda Stealth. Swapping out the BF 2/64 and MJ3 for an Asgard 3 w/ MB card results in a slightly lower quality sound. Nothing I notice if I'm not concentrating on the music. For my purposes I'm leaning towards selling the MJ3 and using Asgard 3 for work/distracted listening.

But are there headphones that make the MJ3 sing, which might change my mind?
If you want to get the absolute most out of the Mjolnir, you need to upgrade both your DAC and headphones. I think that's the level this amp is playing at, which is kind of your original point about it being "too good"...Personally, I also have the BF2/64 as my DAC and I know that and the digital source is holding the amp back. The HD660S2 isn't the most technical headphone but it's not the bottleneck with my current rig.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,249 of 3,097
If you want to get the absolute most out of the Mjolnir, you need to upgrade both your DAC and headphones. I think that's the level this amp is playing at, which is kind of your original point about it being "too good"...Personally, I also have the BF2/64 as my DAC and I know that and the digital source is holding the amp back. The HD660S2 isn't the most technical headphone but it's not the bottleneck with my current rig.
I too have the bifrost 2/64 and have the same feeling, so i've Just ordered the holo audio cyan 2 from the EU distributor it Will be shipped in 14-35 days but i have the feeling that It Will be a great combo a Holo Schiit One (Sorry 😂)

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #1,250 of 3,097
How how the sound quality of a Bitfrost 2/64 and Asgard pairing?

It’s great. Deeper/heavier bass and more relaxed/smoother treble response compared to the A3’s internal MB module.

And the Bifrost and MJ3 combo are a wee bit better in every way.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,251 of 3,097
It’s great. Deeper/heavier bass and more relaxed/smoother treble response compared to the A3’s internal MB module.

And the Bifrost and MJ3 combo are a wee bit better in every way.
MJ3 might be a diminishing return compared to Asgard, but I would still keep MJ3. :) You get more options like Balanced, more powaaaa and push-pull. There are certainly headphones pairing well with MJ3, but those would be more expensive than Ananda.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #1,252 of 3,097
Yeah I’m not sure I care. I have to concentrate now to tell the difference between the Asgard 3 w/ MB module compared to MJ3 and Bifrost.

To make the next leap I’m guessing I’d need $2-3k headphones and a Schiit EQ. Likely a new DAC. I’m probably not going there for casual listening while I work. But we’ll see, I’m not in a rush to sell the MJ3.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,253 of 3,097
To make the next leap I’m guessing I’d need $2-3k headphones and a Schiit EQ. Likely a new DAC. I’m probably not going there for casual listening while I work. But we’ll see, I’m not in a rush to sell the MJ3.
It's better to invest in headphones rather than mere DAC. Bitfrost is already great and I don't see the benefits of things like Holo Audio. I'm a RME fan btw. Fite me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,254 of 3,097
Yeah I’m not sure I care. I have to concentrate now to tell the difference between the Asgard 3 w/ MB module compared to MJ3 and Bifrost.

Get a Susvara. MJ3 is enough to power them to sonic bliss. It’s a huge leap from your Ananda and you’ll probably don’t even need EQ for it

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,255 of 3,097

To make the next leap I’m guessing I’d need $2-3k headphones and a Schiit EQ. ...
I agree but! I don't think you need $2-3K headphones. I'm using the Eta Mini C to great effect with a very expensive DAC/streamer.

Go for broke on the DAC, is my current stance, re: MJ3.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,257 of 3,097
I agree with the folks, invest in a better dac and headphone when budget allows. The MJ3 will be able to reveal their full potential. From my experience when I was using BF2 OG with Jot2, the gap in performance between Arya V2 to Sundara was modestly noticeable. But when I upgraded to Pontus2 with MJ3, the gap between the Arya V2 and Sundara was further apart.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,259 of 3,097
I agree with the folks, invest in a better dac and headphone when budget allows. The MJ3 will be able to reveal their full potential. From my experience when I was using BF2 OG with Jot2, the gap in performance between Arya V2 to Sundara was modestly noticeable. But when I upgraded to Pontus2 with MJ3, the gap between the Arya V2 and Sundara was further apart.
It’s been said that there is no gap between the Pontus 2 and Bifrost 2/64, different strengths and weaknesses yea, but same level of performance all in all. I think the gap your hearing is solely due to the MJ3.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,260 of 3,097
Day 59 of the hostage situation for me... I'm anxious... very anxious (order still says "in production")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back