Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,186 of 2,770
Has anyone tried the MJ3 as a preamplifier to a loudspeaker amplifier?
I may possibly sell my integrated and get a stereo amp and was wondering how the MJ3 performs as a preamp.

In my experience, my best results were going amp-direct from my Lumin T3 using its LEEDH volume control into either a Van Alstine SET 120 or a PS Audio Stellar S300.
Soooooo holographic and transparent. I foolishly sold the Van Alstine and the PS Audio was my friend's.
I use the MJ3 as both my headphone amp and as a preamp into a Vidar2 feeding a pair of small Klipsch in-wall speakers (plus a REL sub). I find it works just fine, but need to remove the headphones from the MJ3 otherwise they're always on. The MJ3 as my preamp is a sonic improvement over its predecessor, the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Love the MJ3. It's a piece of equipment I see being with me forever.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #1,187 of 2,770
I use the MJ3 as both my headphone amp and as a preamp into a Vidar2 feeding a pair of small Klipsch in-wall speakers (plus a REL sub). I find it works just fine, but need to remove the headphones from the MJ3 otherwise they're always on. The MJ3 as my preamp is a sonic improvement over its predecessor, the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Love the MJ3. It's a piece of equipment I see being with me forever.
Thanks for the input.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,188 of 2,770
Has anyone tried the MJ3 as a preamplifier to a loudspeaker amplifier?
I may possibly sell my integrated and get a stereo amp and was wondering how the MJ3 performs as a preamp.

In my experience, my best results were going amp-direct from my Lumin T3 using its LEEDH volume control into either a Van Alstine SET 120 or a PS Audio Stellar S300.
Soooooo holographic and transparent. I foolishly sold the Van Alstine and the PS Audio was my friend's.
For what its worth, I tried mine as a pre amp on my Denon PMA A110 and the Mjolnir pre is to my ears about the same laegue as the pre on the Denon integrated, I can't distinguish the two in a blind test..(I use Harbeth SHL+ 40th speakers)

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,189 of 2,770
I just wanted to explain the reason I'm considering the MJ3 as a preamp. The Lumin T3 outputs its RCA and XLR signals at the same time, obviously. Going back and forth with its LEEDH volume processing from variable (speaker listening) to 100% fixed (headphone listening), I just know I'll sooner or later send a full, unattenuated signal to the speakers.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #1,190 of 2,770
For what its worth, I tried mine as a pre amp on my Denon PMA A110 and the Mjolnir pre is to my ears about the same laegue as the pre on the Denon integrated, I can't distinguish the two in a blind test..(I use Harbeth SHL+ 40th speakers)
Much appreciated.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #1,191 of 2,770
I just wanted to explain the reason I'm considering the MJ3 as a preamp. The Lumin T3 outputs its RCA and XLR signals at the same time, obviously. Going back and forth with its LEEDH volume processing from variable (speaker listening) to 100% fixed (headphone listening), I just know I'll sooner or later send a full, unattenuated signal to the speakers.

Yeah, that's an accident waiting to happen. I'd get any kind of preamp on that setup ASAP before you accidentally blow your speakers. :confounded::sweat_smile:

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #1,192 of 2,770
Would you mind touching up on the differences? What about the Mjolnir led you to no longer use the GT?
It`s hard to explain, but I guess it might be related to the headphones I use. To me Mjolnir has more charm & character. It keeps you immersed better and for longer periods of time, with no fatigue. The Burson perhaps felt a little too clinical and dry. I got tired more rapidly and felt the music lost alot of charm compared to the Schiit.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,193 of 2,770
Yeah, that's an accident waiting to happen. I'd get any kind of preamp on that setup ASAP before you accidentally blow your speakers. :confounded::sweat_smile:
Lol. Right.
When you are only using a stereo amplifier for loudspeakers, it's actually very safe.
When you constantly leave it on variable volume output, you're not switching back and forth from variable to full output. Plus there is a failsafe designed in the software where you can lower the max volume output and leave it there permanently and then just adjust volume with your phone as you like it but it will never go past your failsafe setting.

But headphone listening is my priority and it comes before the speaker system. Hence, the system is prioritized with the MJ3 taking precedence.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #1,195 of 2,770
Disclaimer this are my subjective impressions on the Mjolnir 3 paired with the He1000 stealth and bifrost 2/64 connected via xlr used It on High gain with the hifiman xlr cable. I listen mostly to post rock genre Sorry for any grammatical errors.

So in the last year and half i tried out a lot of stuff i'm more of a one set up guy, settled on the hifiman he1000 Stealth After i bought and sold the se version the zmf verite ecc. On the amp i First started with the burson soloist 3xp, than Vio v222, Feliks Euforia, Vio v281 and finally the Mjolnir 3 in all honesty i took It to try It out and If i wasn't convinced i could use the 14 days policy to return It... Needless to Say that It won't happen i've found the perfect amp for me It keeps you immersed better and for longer periods of time in the music, with no fatigue.
In single mode It's more neutral and i find It perfect for acoustic and strings songs when i want more grip and kick with the push-pull mode It delivers It perfeclty! The feedback mode It's Always off because for me It make the soundstage smaller on the he1000 stealth. Here is a list of songs and some Discovery that i've made
Mono - Ashes in the Snow 7:03 Min violins in the background that i never noticed
*Shels - Conference of the birds 6:10 Min there Is a trumphet solo that Is clearly audible and is not covered by drum and guitars
Raphael Weinroth-Browne - Tumult I-II-III live testing the highs on the cellos and It's a mystic experience
This Will Destroy You - A Three-legged Workhorse from minute 4:20 to 6:10 really busy passages with lot of instrument and electronics elements and i can here EVERYTHING
Tool - Vicarious in the First minute Danny Carey does a drum roll on the cymbals in crescendo that i've never Heard so clearly from the first attack
Coheed And Cambria - The Audience 2:00 Min there Is a second Guitar in the distant background that Is doing a lot of stuff but with the bifrost you have to focus a lot to hear It when i had the merason Frerot + pow1 i could hear It more clearly and naturally.
The Mjolnir 3 in single mode Is more similar to the v222, like really a lot similar.
In push-pull mode It feels like a mix between the v281 and the v222 but a more evolved One.
Warmish-neutral very detailed great extension without fatigue and huge soundstage on the bass It delivers when It's needed but Is less "boomy" than the Vio v281.
It's really a wonderful piece of equipment and It dersevs all the praizes.
So for me i've found the amp and hp that i was looking for! But i feel that the bifrost, even if It's a great dac, that there are Better synergies out there sadly i sold the Merason Frerot would love to know if anyone has them both and could give me a feedback, It would be great even if someone could tell me how the Mjolnir 3 pair with the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and the Gustard r26/a26 i have the feeling that It will pair great with the holo audio cyan 2 still waiting for the EU distributor to have it in stock. To all of you that are waiting for the Mjolnir 3 i can wholeheartedly Say that the wait It's ***kin worth It!💪🏼
I really love the black color but my only gripe with the Mjolnir 3 Is the color of the volume pot Is It possible to change It? Otherwise i'll have to paint It to black 😂
PS
It's the First time in my Life that a gambe paid off 🤣 i sold the Vio v281 because i wanted more incisiveness i got It and i found a lot more than i was expecting for.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,196 of 2,770
PPS
I didn't notice vibrations from the amp if i'm really near it without the hp i can hear a Little noise but nothing worth mentioning about how hot It gets i can touch the grill with the hand and It's warm but nothing that i feel will burn me, and i have It on for hours maybe on the set up that i have it has space to breath i don't know 😅

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #1,197 of 2,770
Disclaimer this are my subjective impressions on the Mjolnir 3 paired with the He1000 stealth and bifrost 2/64 connected via xlr used It on High gain with the hifiman xlr cable. I listen mostly to post rock genre Sorry for any grammatical errors.

So in the last year and half i tried out a lot of stuff i'm more of a one set up guy, settled on the hifiman he1000 Stealth After i bought and sold the se version the zmf verite ecc. On the amp i First started with the burson soloist 3xp, than Vio v222, Feliks Euforia, Vio v281 and finally the Mjolnir 3 in all honesty i took It to try It out and If i wasn't convinced i could use the 14 days policy to return It... Needless to Say that It won't happen i've found the perfect amp for me It keeps you immersed better and for longer periods of time in the music, with no fatigue.
In single mode It's more neutral and i find It perfect for acoustic and strings songs when i want more grip and kick with the push-pull mode It delivers It perfeclty! The feedback mode It's Always off because for me It make the soundstage smaller on the he1000 stealth. Here is a list of songs and some Discovery that i've made
Mono - Ashes in the Snow 7:03 Min violins in the background that i never noticed
*Shels - Conference of the birds 6:10 Min there Is a trumphet solo that Is clearly audible and is not covered by drum and guitars
Raphael Weinroth-Browne - Tumult I-II-III live testing the highs on the cellos and It's a mystic experience
This Will Destroy You - A Three-legged Workhorse from minute 4:20 to 6:10 really busy passages with lot of instrument and electronics elements and i can here EVERYTHING
Tool - Vicarious in the First minute Danny Carey does a drum roll on the cymbals in crescendo that i've never Heard so clearly from the first attack
Coheed And Cambria - The Audience 2:00 Min there Is a second Guitar in the distant background that Is doing a lot of stuff but with the bifrost you have to focus a lot to hear It when i had the merason Frerot + pow1 i could hear It more clearly and naturally.
The Mjolnir 3 in single mode Is more similar to the v222, like really a lot similar.
In push-pull mode It feels like a mix between the v281 and the v222 but a more evolved One.
Warmish-neutral very detailed great extension without fatigue and huge soundstage on the bass It delivers when It's needed but Is less "boomy" than the Vio v281.
It's really a wonderful piece of equipment and It dersevs all the praizes.
So for me i've found the amp and hp that i was looking for! But i feel that the bifrost, even if It's a great dac, that there are Better synergies out there sadly i sold the Merason Frerot would love to know if anyone has them both and could give me a feedback, It would be great even if someone could tell me how the Mjolnir 3 pair with the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and the Gustard r26/a26 i have the feeling that It will pair great with the holo audio cyan 2 still waiting for the EU distributor to have it in stock. To all of you that are waiting for the Mjolnir 3 i can wholeheartedly Say that the wait It's ***kin worth It!💪🏼
I really love the black color but my only gripe with the Mjolnir 3 Is the color of the volume pot Is It possible to change It? Otherwise i'll have to paint It to black 😂
PS
It's the First time in my Life that a gambe paid off 🤣 i sold the Vio v281 because i wanted more incisiveness i got It and i found a lot more than i was expecting for.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back