Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,129 of 2,766
Is it only $1200 in the US or they add taxes and shipping?
yes, ordering directly from the US will grant you the "privilege" to gamble with Customs. Usually, for a package this size you will rarely skip paying taxes (23% in my Country) plus fees. But that is not the only issue. Ordering from the "source" instead of a dealer, in case of activating the warranty for any reason will force you to send it to the US, which will be obviously a lot more expensive and you will have to deal with Customs again, even if just for time and fees (if you are lucky).

So, 90% of the time it compensates to order directly from a dealer here in Europe, even if we pay a premium fee for the privilege of having Schiit products in our homes.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,130 of 2,766
Hey guys. Need your suggestion.
i have got Burson soloist 3xp with linier power supply.
I have got two dacs. 1. Schiit bifrost 2 OG & Gustard R26 with lhy ock 2 external clock.
Headphones i am using are focal clear OG, hifiman edition xs. I recently got the hifiman he 1000 v2 Stealth edition.

1. Do you think going from soloist to MJ3 is an upgrade?
2. I am looking for an amplifier with smooth treble? as focal and 1000 stealth are on bright side.
I preferred my MHA200 to my burson soloist 3x gt, and I prefer my MJ3 to my MHA200. So i'd say it is an upgrade.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #1,131 of 2,766
Hey all, looking for some educated advice.
Is there any solid way, how to lower the input volume level for such chain like iPad/iPhone/Mac -> Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC -> Mjolnir 3 -> Headphones?
Even though I'm sure now the sound quality will be pretty perfect, with sensitive headphones I might have small operation distance for the volume adjustments. I'm sure there must be a way how to lower the DB level of the input signal, so that I can have more granular volume settings to adjust on the Mjolnir, using the whole travel distance. I just don't know how to best approach it. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #1,132 of 2,766
Is there any solid way, how to lower the input volume level for such chain like iPad/iPhone/Mac -> Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC -> Mjolnir 3 -> Headphones?
Even though I'm sure now the sound quality will be pretty perfect, with sensitive headphones I might have small operation distance for the volume adjustments. I'm sure there must be a way how to lower the DB level of the input signal, so that I can have more granular volume settings to adjust on the Mjolnir, using the whole travel distance. I just don't know how to best approach it. Thanks.
Preamp…consider a passive one as they tend to cost less and you’re not looking for more level. Also be aware that Schiit doesn’t recommend IEM use with the MJ3

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #1,133 of 2,766
Preamp…consider a passive one as they tend to cost less and you’re not looking for more level. Also be aware that Schiit doesn’t recommend IEM use with the MJ3
Actually. I have Usher P307a, quite old one but still I use it in my speakers' setup: https://www.hifigear.co.uk/usher-p307a-stereo-preamplifier.html.
Maybe I can then reuse it also in the headphones chain.. But it will be one more component in the chain, I'm curious if it will affect the output sound in the headphones. I will try that once all components are collected. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #1,134 of 2,766
Actually. I have Usher P307a, quite old one but still I use it in my speakers' setup: https://www.hifigear.co.uk/usher-p307a-stereo-preamplifier.html.
Maybe I can then reuse it also in the headphones chain.. But it will be one more component in the chain, I'm curious if it will affect the output sound in the headphones. I will try that once all components are collected. Thanks.
Another reason to consider passive, they can’t add anything as there’s simply no power to do so, it’s more likely that one can change the sound sure, but as long as it’s of quality you should be fine. Powered preamps are more like to add flavor because gain is involved. Passive preamp offer no gain.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,135 of 2,766
Maybe try a iFi IEMatch

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,136 of 2,766
I’ve used, when needed, in line attenuators, such as those from Harrison or Rothwell. They’re passive, and have no volume pot. Everything we put in the path will damage the signal some, but I haven’t been able to hear degradation with these.

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,137 of 2,766
Expensive, boutique solution(s), you can get this in many configurations.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,138 of 2,766
Easiest would be the attenuation in your phone's player (Roon, etc). Next in line are the passive attenuators suggested above. Some can be had relatively cheap (a Schiit Sys will only cost you $49). From there, the sky's the limit. If I were you, I'd look for something that works purely in the digital realm (between your phone and DAC). Something like a miniDSP SHD Studio or Digital Flex (and you get the added bonus of other DSP and input/output options).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,139 of 2,766
Easiest would be the attenuation in your phone's player (Roon, etc). Next in line are the passive attenuators suggested above. Some can be had relatively cheap (a Schiit Sys will only cost you $49). From there, the sky's the limit. If I were you, I'd look for something that works purely in the digital realm (between your phone and DAC). Something like a miniDSP SHD Studio or Digital Flex (and you get the added bonus of other DSP and input/output options).
Impressive how many options there are. Digital Flex looks especially interesting, Seems like it can be had even with balanced connections (which for example SYS does not have, so it would break the true balanced chain).

But also the other suggestions are for me worth exploring further. Thanks!

In terms of the source, I'm just running Apple Music for now. My impression is it's all I need as it throws full (lossless) quality to the DAC anyway. But then there are things like DDC and the suggestions above that further prepare the source for DAC and headamp consumptions. I'm still not into the Roon as I don't really see the benefits compared to Apple Music from iPad for example, but I see I might be wrong here..

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,140 of 2,766
With the level of fidelity that a Pontus and Mjolnir provides I would not want to degrade the signal any. Heck, this is an amp that will make you question your cable choices, let alone something as important as attenuator, though I’ve never used one so I can’t speak from any personal experience. The joke answer is just get slightly less sensitive headphones. They’ll probably scale better with your chain anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back