Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,111 of 3,097
MJ3 sound is far from a tube amp. MJ3 is a high end solid state amp through and through. Yes you will hear very noticeable differences with MJ3 against Midgard if your headphones are transparent enough
My main daily drivers are the LCD-5 and HE6se, but I have a TH909, ZMF Auteur, Sony Z7M2, and Focal Elex that I sub in when I feel like it, but plus a Grado PS1000 that I’ve never found a great pairing with to really enjoy.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #1,112 of 3,097
The issue with tube amps are they’re more of a specialized amp that works bombastically well with one or two headphones and they will make other headphones sound broken as heck rather than all-rounder amp. It doesn’t matter if the tube amps are OTL or OPT. MJ3 and Midgard are all-rounder amp to me where everything you plug into it will sound great. A hybrid tube amp that has both MJ3’s refinement and tube flavor would be the Kallyste Amethyste. Lyr+ isn’t close to bringing out fine nuances that MJ3 portrays

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,113 of 3,097
Agree... demand may be too high. I ordered it October 6th and received it October 13th (fortunately). I ordered the MJ3 to evaluate it myself rather than waiting for reviewers to comment on it. I used LCD-5, HE1000SE, and Focal Clear... smoothest SS amp I have heard to date (need to let it warm up for AT LEAST 2 hours for optimal sounding IMO)...
Interesting, I ordered Friday October 13, delivered December 7. Well worth the wait. I have no history with headphones or headphone amps...and no interest in other brands...though would consider an MJ2 for fun compare

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,114 of 3,097
Damn! Just saw this. I hope that's in reference to later or recently placed orders.
Well, I ordered in November and just received an email stating it's been moved to Jan 31. :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #1,116 of 3,097
How do you guys burn in your Mjolnir 3? Push-pull activated? Using low or high impedance headphones?
Based on my experience, just let it warm up for 20 min or so before use and it'll be pretty much at its peak. It sounds amazing after just a bit of warm up. Not sure if it actually needs burn in to sound amazing.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #1,117 of 3,097
How do you guys burn in your Mjolnir 3? Push-pull activated? Using low or high impedance headphones?
I didnt burn in my amp. I dont burn in my headphones. I buy them cause I like them then I put them on my head and listen to music. If there is any such thing as burn in then the change isnt drastic enough for me not to enjoy the product before burned in.

Also pls explain how burn in of an amp should work. I honnestly think its horse poop.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #1,118 of 3,097
I didnt burn in my amp. I dont burn in my headphones. I buy them cause I like them then I put them on my head and listen to music. If there is any such thing as burn in then the change isnt drastic enough for me not to enjoy the product before burned in.

Also pls explain how burn in of an amp should work. I honnestly think its horse poop.
😂

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,119 of 3,097

My preferred burn-in method is to connect a headphone to the output that you plan on using the most (6.35mm or XLR4) and then continuously play music (never use white noise, pink noise or test tones) through the amp and headphone at a moderate volume for 24 hours. After that, everything in the amp should be electrically and thermally pretty well settled.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #1,120 of 3,097
Hey guys. Need your suggestion.
i have got Burson soloist 3xp with linier power supply.
I have got two dacs. 1. Schiit bifrost 2 OG & Gustard R26 with lhy ock 2 external clock.
Headphones i am using are focal clear OG, hifiman edition xs. I recently got the hifiman he 1000 v2 Stealth edition.

1. Do you think going from soloist to MJ3 is an upgrade?
2. I am looking for an amplifier with smooth treble? as focal and 1000 stealth are on bright side.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,123 of 3,097
So i've Just took the chance on the Mjolnir 3 (followed a gut feeling) bought It Yesterday from Schiit Europe and today Is being shipped ☺️ really curios how It Will pair with the bifrost 2/64 and the HE1000 Stealth, Will give you a feedback for sure!
As a Stealth owner I am curious about your impressions and as someone who purchased the MJ3 and is still waiting for shipment, I am jealous about your speedy delivery.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,124 of 3,097
As a Stealth owner I am curious about your impressions and as someone who purchased the MJ3 and is still waiting for shipment, I am jealous about your speedy delivery.

I've read that i feel for you, i've Always ordered overseas usually i have to wait some weeks, but here in Europe the Mjolnir 3 costs with shipping 1477€ the black One and the silver One 1567€ if Is of any consolation 😅 Just sold mio Vio v281 and took the chance i'm looking for something more incisive from what i've read It should be the right choise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back