Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #856 of 3,096
Any mj3 owners have a kara or freya+ to compare the mj3 to? What about valhalla?

I have a speaker setup at a different location than my headphone setup. I'm using tekton electron se speakers and was considering my pre options. I took advantage of hifimans sale and also ordered a sundara stealth refurbished to have as a headphone at the second set up away from my 1266/susvara setup.
Freya+ gives you pass-through or 6N8S rolling + motorized remote. Skip the LISST and get a Kara if you don't want to mess with tubes.

Valhalla 2 you gotta get up and mess with volume while rolling/replacing E88CC with new production Genalex Gold Lion or Telefunken Black Diamond (2x matched =$140). JJ's would be my last option for new production stock replacements @$33 each.
NOS 1960's (1970's are even insane) Telefunken white diamond will set you back $340+ for a PAIR. The output tubes are 28$~ While you could roll... you're gonna have to compare too many stats to make it worth your while (gain/transconductance/plate bias etc.). While you can use Low Gain for 5.7Ohms Zout, this piece of kit is at home with 150-300Ohm cans. The Sundara 2020 revision will give you a damping factor of 6.49 in low gain which will affect FR but not terribly; unsuitable for high gain use at 19Ohms and with Abyss.

MJ3 is the best Schiit they've done for headphones yet. From a pre-perspective the Kara or Freya+ makes way more logistical sense and grants full balanced active gain or passive attenuation.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #859 of 3,096
having just listened to a 15 minute long PJ Harvey CD, was gonna listen to another, but the Urd/USB/BF2\64 went into fizzle mode and the power off/power on sequence did not restart...so I powered them off and left them off for a cool down. Put on a vinyl Tom Waits via Freya+ boosted MJ3 and settled in with a fresh can of local 7% hazy, for some music.
I fully enjoy the perfect sound of CD, but, vinyl through the Mjolnir3 is more perfect.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #861 of 3,096
Any mj3 owners have a kara or freya+ to compare the mj3 to? What about valhalla?

I have a speaker setup at a different location than my headphone setup. I'm using tekton electron se speakers and was considering my pre options. I took advantage of hifimans sale and also ordered a sundara stealth refurbished to have as a headphone at the second set up away from my 1266/susvara setup.
I don’t have MJ3 but I’m addicted to using Freya +with any amp. In active mode with right tubes it gives good oomph to headphones

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #862 of 3,096
<big sigh> if I add a Yggy to my order, will my MJ3 ship faster?

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #863 of 3,096
Listened to "Halo" by Pendulum with t+a dac 200 -> mj3 -> hd6xx. Overkill for that headphone but I had a few days off my system and wanted to start at the bottom. Sounded amazing with the 6xx. Just put on the susvara through the same chain and had my mind blown.

Same thing with "I need someone" Alok remix Faithless, and "Encoder" by Pendulum. Haven't heard Pendulum's music in years and saw they had a new album.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #864 of 3,096
Listened to "Halo" by Pendulum with t+a dac 200 -> mj3 -> hd6xx. Overkill for that headphone but I had a few days off my system and wanted to start at the bottom. Sounded amazing with the 6xx. Just put on the susvara through the same chain and had my mind blown.

Same thing with "I need someone" Alok remix Faithless, and "Encoder" by Pendulum. Haven't heard Pendulum's music in years and saw they had a new album.

Glad you're loving the DAC200 + Susvara + MJ3 combo :).

I won't forget how blown away I was when I first heard the LIM+MJ3+Susvara combo back in Nov. 12/23 and that's the first time I've discovered how good the MJ3 drives the Susvara

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #865 of 3,096
Glad you're loving the DAC200 + Susvara + MJ3 combo :).

I won't forget how blown away I was when I first heard the LIM+MJ3+Susvara combo back in Nov. 12/23 and that's the first time I've discovered how good the MJ3 drives the Susvara
I also have a yggdrasil og a2 and it is an incredible performer with the susvara. It felt like "endgame" to me. I was questioning how much better it can get.

In my experience trying "high end" amps the mj3 is one of my favorites. It is more musical than the Niimbus. Niimbus is crystal clear and I can hear finer details with it that are covered by the very small amount warm bloom the mj3 can have. However the mj3 has more punch, more meat to the sound with a bit of warmth and I switch back and forth between them daily. I think Bliss kte is technically less distorted than mj3 but bliss seemed to have less energy in the treble region that mj3 is not lacking. I really enjoy the sound of the mj3.

I wasn't sure how much better a dac above yggdrasil og a2 could get given mj3 sounded amazing even compared to amps more expensive than it. I was pleasantly blown away by t+a dac 200. It is a very big purchase for me I bought it brand new with the hdmi arc option. I have more comparisons with t+a dac 200 on the thread for that dac. I didn't realize how much better dacs could get. I feel this is truly endgame for anyone who isn't pulling in millions every year.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #867 of 3,096
Welcome to the club. I was perfectly happy with my Lyr 3...Now extremely happy with my Mjolnir 3

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #868 of 3,096
I was initially going to wait it out for a fair price in the classifieds, but i remembered an email from Schiit about how warranty’s aren’t transferred with personal selling of Schiit products, so f it, i just ordered one, site says 1-2 weeks, hope thats accurate. Now the waiting game…………………….

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #870 of 3,096
Damn you all! I was perfectly happy with my Asgard 2.

MJ3 ordered.

:beerchug:
JC
surprise.gif

Get Ready For A Surprise!! :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back