Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #796 of 2,798
This is what I heard from Currawong's review and I did ask at the Schiit happened forum, but no answer(s).
The concern is, at pre-amp mode, if left the headphone plugged in, will the volume up of the pre-amp will bring the headphone volume at the same time or not?
Yes, the volume controls both at the same time. A rising tide floats all boats as it were.

Probably best to unplug your headphones when using MJ3 as a pre-amp.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #797 of 2,798
Nope, the headphone jacks are always on, regardless of pre-amp being enabled or not (toggling the switch as I type this).
The switch only toggles the pre-amp outs, no effect on the headphone circuit.

The phrasing in manual is a bit vague/misleading ...

2 Preamp enable. Up to enable the preamp
outputs, down to disable them. Useful for
when you’re using both headphones and
powered monitors or speaker amp
Thanks. Would have been ideal if it disabled the headphones, for my use. However, I have heard about people listening to headphones while a sub only was active, to get bass hits to the body - might be a fun thing to try, when the wife is not home 😄

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #798 of 2,798
Yes, the volume controls both at the same time. A rising tide floats all boats as it were.

Probably best to unplug your headphones when using MJ3 as a pre-amp.

Thank you !

I informed my friend (this info), he got the MJ3 8 hours ago.

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #799 of 2,798
I have the BF2/64-MJ3-HE1000SE combo. If you have similar sonic preferences as mine, you will love the combo. I prefer this combo even better than the BF2/64-MJ3-LCD5 combo. The LCD5 can be a bit unforgiving with bad recordings and it needs EQ to sound its very best. The MJ3 is the “smoothest” and “least fatiguing” solid state headphone amplifier that I have tried in the fourteen months that I have been seriously involved in this hobby…
Very similar combo here (other than the DAC). With the MJ3, I think I can comfortably say that people who find the HE1000SE too bright will change their mind...This is a killer match!

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #800 of 2,798
Picts or it didn't happen! (mostly just want to drool over silver Schiit).

(yes, echoing myself from the other thread...)
Updated with real configuration. Need to find my spacers for the Asgard 2 / Jotunheim stacking. And "better/longer" XLR split cable.

MJ##2.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #804 of 2,798
Do any of you MJ3 owners also have an Atrium Closed? I’m wondering if it’s a good pairing. My main chain is a Yggy A2 > MJ3. I currently have an Atrium Closed on order, so it would be great to hear from some fellow MJ3/AC owners.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #805 of 2,798
I feel like mjolnir 3 has warmed up slightly from when I first got it, and I have had more amps to compare it to. It sounds warm compared to the Niimbus. When I first compared it to the bliss kte I thought the mj3 had more of a v shape compared to the bliss. The bliss is warm for a ss amp. The reality is to my ears the bliss had slightly rolled off treble compared to the hdva600 and mjolnir 3.

After trying more amps I think the mijolnir 3 is neutral, leaning on the side of warmth without any rolling of the treble. The mjolnir 3 is extremely detailed but lacking behind the Niimbus in precision. I just made a post in Niimbus thread comparing them more.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #806 of 2,798
Anyone able to compare the MJ3 to Headamp GSX Mini ?
Since my current amp is a Headamp GSX Mini, extremely interested in a comparison between these two amps. Have been considering a CFA3 also, so any comparisons with a CFA3 would be welcome. My Mini is extremely capable and sounds great to my ears with my LCD-4z (new style pads from Audeze, mandatory). I did own the original Mjolnir a long time ago, with the original Gumgnir pre-multibit. Put many hours in listening with that stack.

Edit: I will be able to write my own comparison of M3 and GSX Mini very soon.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #807 of 2,798
Anyone able to compare the MJ3 to Headamp GSX Mini ?
I can compare it to the Gilmore Lite mk2 I have right now and say that the MJ3 blows it out of the water. Way more lively and enjoyable. If my memory of the full GS-X mk2 remains accurate, I think they sound pretty similar, at least in resolution and detail. Not sure where the Mini falls between those two.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #808 of 2,798
Ended up buying a rack for my various components, and got the splitters so I could run line to both speaker amp and sub at the same time. The MJ3 is a very good pre-amp, it woke up my KEF speakers which had started to sound a bit bland to me recently, the dynamics and details are greatly improved. And, you still get good dynamics at low volume.

I found this cheap rack, and it is so good for the money, super easy to assemble and well made:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Xef2F...MIzY6br9aNgwMV2jatBh0mlgt8EAQYASABEgJ35_D_BwE

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #809 of 2,798
Ended up buying a rack for my various components, and got the splitters so I could run line to both speaker amp and sub at the same time. The MJ3 is a very good pre-amp, it woke up my KEF speakers which had started to sound a bit bland to me recently, the dynamics and details are greatly improved. And, you still get good dynamics at low volume.

I found this cheap rack, and it is so good for the money, super easy to assemble and well made:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Xef2F...MIzY6br9aNgwMV2jatBh0mlgt8EAQYASABEgJ35_D_BwE
I think I have that same rack.

Attachments

• 20231213_164740.jpg
    20231213_164740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back