Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #751 of 2,798
MJ3 changed to: ships 1-2 weeks ....

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #752 of 2,798
I'm okay with waiting on mine. <despite the site stating it would ship in 1-3 days when I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago>

What I'd like is a response to my email asking for an ETA.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #753 of 2,798
Rolling Stones Some Girls side one vinyl low output MC. volume knob at 1300 (one o'clock) high gain, single ended class A, feedback clearly NO, XLR output. schiit thats good. feet planted on floor so as not to disturb the table, but air guitar (bass guitar), sort of like the 70's...good schiit

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #754 of 2,798
Finally got to see what all the talk was about for the mjolnir 3. I intially pre ordered a mjolnir 3 silver. While waiting patiently, checking ever so often on schiits website to see if it was out of production and shipped. While that time never came I got a invoice to pay through paypal. The same time I got a invoice, a black mjolnir came up on the headfi classifieds. I said why not, I don't need a silver one to match that bad. This might be a catch and release anyway, I told myself.

Let me tell everyone here, this is so far from a catch and release. It's been a long road to find a amp that would match my denafrips terminator. I finally found that amp. The combination of these 2 together is magic. I'm big on finding what amps and dacs synergize together. You usually find the best synergy from getting a amp and dac from the same mfg.

This is my favorite sounding amp I have experienced. I know its new to me, but I just can't stop listening to it. Every song I'm playing again and again, songs i've heard a hundred times. The match with the mjolnir 3 and the terminator is an amazing experience. I didn't get the same joy I got when it was hooked to its own artemis amp, the bliss, or burson gt.

For now, I say don't miss out on this amp, get one before its to late. It's doing something very special. In my opinon this does need to become a product that stays, once more people try it out, I don't think any other amp can match for the price and sound you get. Im keeping the mjolnir 3, because I finally found a mate for the terminator. Nothing beats this at ites price, you'll have to double and triple your cost to get this performance.

That feedback switch is really what was the icing on the cake, I use feedback on with the terminator. It sounds like nothing else, the terminator is highly resolving, details plenty, with the feedback on it is blissful. With feedback off it sounds close to the bliss. With feedback on it gives it that sound I enjoy more.

I will dive deeper into listening to it, to give some solid impressions of the mjolnir 3. Will also mess around with hooking it up to my other dacs. I'm off this weekend so fun will insue with the mjolnir 3. 20231208_082614.jpg

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #755 of 2,798
Finally got to see what all the talk was about for the mjolnir 3. I intially pre ordered a mjolnir 3 silver. While waiting patiently, checking ever so often on schiits website to see if it was out of production and shipped. While that time never came I got a invoice to pay through paypal. The same time I got a invoice, a black mjolnir came up on the headfi classifieds. I said why not, I don't need a silver one to match that bad. This might be a catch and release anyway, I told myself.

Let me tell everyone here, this is so far from a catch and release. It's been a long road to find a amp that would match my denafrips terminator. I finally found that amp. The combination of these 2 together is magic. I'm big on finding what amps and dacs synergize together. You usually find the best synergy from getting a amp and dac from the same mfg.

This is my favorite sounding amp I have experienced. I know its new to me, but I just can't stop listening to it. Every song I'm playing again and again, songs i've heard a hundred times. The match with the mjolnir 3 and the terminator is an amazing experience. I didn't get the same joy I got when it was hooked to its own artemis amp, the bliss, or burson gt.

For now, I say don't miss out on this amp, get one before its to late. It's doing something very special. In my opinon this does need to become a product that stays, once more people try it out, I don't think any other amp can match for the price and sound you get. Im keeping the mjolnir 3, because I finally found a mate for the terminator. Nothing beats this at ites price, you'll have to double and triple your cost to get this performance.

That feedback switch is really what was the icing on the cake, I use feedback on with the terminator. It sounds like nothing else, the terminator is highly resolving, details plenty, with the feedback on it is blissful. With feedback off it sounds close to the bliss. With feedback on it gives it that sound I enjoy more.

I will dive deeper into listening to it, to give some solid impressions of the mjolnir 3. Will also mess around with hooking it up to my other dacs. I'm off this weekend so fun will insue with the mjolnir 3.20231208_082614.jpg

Congrats!

Glad my hype was justified lol, but yes I've said it many times that it gives Ferrum OOR, Holo Bliss and Hifiman Prelude a run for their money

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #756 of 2,798

I will dive deeper into listening to it, to give some solid impressions of the mjolnir 3. Will also mess around with hooking it up to my other dacs. I'm off this weekend so fun will insue with the mjolnir 3.20231208_082614.jpg
I agree, there is some great synergy going on between the Denafrips DACs with the MJ3. I mated Hermes¹²th DDC/Pontus2 DAC to the MJ3 and very happy with the results.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #757 of 2,798
Update:
I adjusted the output on the Qutest from 2V RMS to 1V RMS. I now find that about 11:00 on the MJ3 is equivalent to 9:00 when using 2V output from Qutest. Not surprising. Question now is whether the Qutest is just as good at 1V vs its default of 2V??
A further update of my now 72 hour old MJ3. It really is an amazing amp. My concerns over the tight volume control are million times outweighed by the sound of this amplifier. Combined with the Chord Qutest, Vidar2, REL TX5, Meze Elites and Klipsch in wall speakers has moved my home office setup to almost on equal footing with my main listening room. I never got real enjoyment out of the office setup other than the welcomed background distraction from work. Now my concern is that it sounds so damn good that I might not get any work done in here anymore.

The music has opened up, wider and deeper stage, more separation between instruments, significantly tighter bass, cymbals are clearer, and the mids are gorgeous. Upgrading to the MJ3 from the Brooklyn has been possibly the biggest upgrade I've heard in any of my listening rooms over all my years.

One comment on the heat from the amp - IMHO it's overblown. My office setup has me sitting about 20" from my equipment, just off my right side. I'm not feeling anything from it. Even resting my hand on top, yes a little warm but I can keep it on the amp without being uncomfortable. Maybe in the summer I'll be singing a different song, but right now it is absolutely fine.

Again, just 72 hours old. I can't wait for this thing to fully break in.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #758 of 2,798

One comment on the heat from the amp - IMHO it's overblown. My office setup has me sitting about 20" from my equipment, just off my right side. I'm not feeling anything from it. Even resting my hand on top, yes a little warm but I can keep it on the amp without being uncomfortable. Maybe in the summer I'll be singing a different song, but right now it is absolutely fine.
Nice!

re: heat. It gets hotter on the bottom, ime. Keep on eye on that. HST, I've kept mine on days at a time (fall weather helps!) with no downside besides not being able to listen to it due to other obligations.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #760 of 2,798
Finally got my Mjolnir 3. Currently doing some burn-in but these are my initial impressions compared to my Mjolnir 2. Current testing chain is:

Roon -> Google ChromeCast Audio optical -> Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG -> Snake Oil Taipan XLRs -> Schiit Mjolnir 2/3 -> Audeze LCD-5 with stock balanced cable.

Mjolnir 3 switches set to balanced, preamp off, low gain, single-ended mode, feedback off.

Test tracks: Dumbest Girl Alive / 100 gecs, Mission / Alex G, Fear of Dying / Alison Wonderland, Pressure in My Palms / Animé, Havana / Camila Cabello, Montero / Lil Nas X, Call of the Unicorn / Moore Kismet, Chan Chan / Buena Vista Social Club.

For the switches, I did not notice difference between gain settings. Feedback on and push-pull mode both felt like they added a film to the music, like looking through a dirty window.

Once I got to sit down and focus on the sound, I found the depth and width of the staging to be very impressive. Montero felt like sitting in front of a very complex stage setup. Instruments popped out in a 3 dimensional way that I can best describe as one of those Magic Eyes puzzles. Very impressive. Of the tracks I listened to, I was happy with how it handled the more complex, layered music. I did find the bass to be fairly recessed. None of my bass-heavy tracks massaged my brain like I know the LCD-5 has the capacity to. I also found recordings that were more analog to be harsher. The horns on Chan Chan were shrill. I could hear what sounded like digital artifacting in Alex G's voice on Mission. I do wonder if that is more of a sign of Mjolnir 3's transparency showing a weakness in the Yggdrasil.

Once I got a chance to do some comparisons between the Mjolnirs, I found that I still liked my Mjolnir 2 more. Yes, the Mjolnir 3 is still burning in and I will give it more time, but again, these are my initial impressions. I found that, in most aspects, they sounded similar enough that I could not notice a difference between the two after swapping XLRs and the LCD-5. Differences that I did notice were a slightly better bass with the Mjolnir 2, smoother analog highs in the horns of Chan Chan, and a more natural sound to Alex G's voice. My assumption is that the tubes of the Mjolnir 2 add an analog smoothness to the sound while the Mjolnir 3 is just shotgunning the pure, unadulterated digital audio from the Yggdrasil.

If the harshness of the highs mellows out a bit after burn-in, I would absolutely recommend this amp as a reasonable endgame. But we'll see in a couple days.

EDIT: I also have a Schiit Midgard coming whenever they decide to ship it. The Mjolnirs are battling for the living room while the Midgard will battle the office HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2, but I think a Midgard vs Mjolnir comparison will be fascinating.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #761 of 2,798
I think after 100 hours of playtime on the MJ3, it started to get more refined and mellow out a bit for me. Also warmup time on the MJ3 makes a difference to my ears. At least 1 hour turned on before it hits its stride. I usually turn mine on for 2 hours before I do any serious listening. But as with anything, YMMV. Good luck!

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #763 of 2,798
I think after 100 hours of playtime on the MJ3, it started to get more refined and mellow out a bit for me. Also warmup time on the MJ3 makes a difference to my ears. At least 1 hour turned on before it hits its stride. I usually turn mine on for 2 hours before I do any serious listening. But as with anything, YMMV. Good luck!
I find it to be 99% there within a minute. Unless my room is cold the mjolnir 3 seems to be sounding excellent for me even 10-20min in. After hours of listening the music does seem to start sounding better but I've noticed that even with changing different amps and dacs so it might be a mental aspect of long listening sessions..

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #765 of 2,798
Quick question: When I routed the MJ3 to my speaker Amp as a pre-amp it appears to disable all functions from the Amp except for just straight power, this means I am no longer getting a signal to my sub from the Amp pre-out. Would using an RCA splitter at the MJ3 pre-out to feed both Amp and Sub be an issue? BTW, the MJ3 is a way better pre-Amp than the the Amp internal pre-Amp, way stronger bass, highs, and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back