Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #631 of 2,776
Great review, @Currawong!

I think you really nailed describing the SQ of the Mjolnir 3 when you said that it's "So resolving that it becomes smooth." Even though that sounds like a contradiction of terms, once you really get to listen to the MJ3 for a while (with a great DAC or turntable, of course), that description will make perfect sense.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :o2smile:
How is it with a turntable? My fear was it would be a bit too resolving for vinyl but maybe my fears were incorrect.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #632 of 2,776
Great review, @Currawong!

I think you really nailed describing the SQ of the Mjolnir 3 when you said that it's "So resolving that it becomes smooth." Even though that sounds like a contradiction of terms, once you really get to listen to the MJ3 for a while (with a great DAC or turntable, of course), that description will make perfect sense.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :o2smile:

I experienced the same thing but on the DAC side of things. Yggdrasil+ MIB is also incredibly resolving that it becomes smooth especially when compared to the Bifrost 2 and you get lost to music easily and I'm sure it'll synergize excellently with the Mjolnir 3 as well.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #633 of 2,776
How is it with a turntable? My fear was it would be a bit too resolving for vinyl but maybe my fears were incorrect.

I currently don't use a turntable, but I have in the past with my headphone amps, and I always really enjoyed the sound, even though it did somewhat magnify the usual 'ticks and pops' that comes with playing records.

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #635 of 2,776
Even the Susvara sings beautifully with the MJ3. It really gives the bliss, oor and Prelude a run for their money when driving the Susvara seriously.

Looks like my post aged like a fine wine when Currawong mentioned Mjolnir 3 can sound like an average 3-4K amp on his review at 16:07 :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #636 of 2,776
Yeah, that Currawong review really puts into focus what I'm hearing, but taken to another level because of how high-end the rest of his gear is. But just because you're not running Susvaras via ultra pure interconnects doesn't mean the Mjolnir won't be deeply impressive (at least it was to me). Also, glad to get some opinions on the pre-amp feature, as there wasn't a lot of comments on that aspect. Eventually, I'd like to get a power amp that can bring some of the Mjolnir's sound to speakers.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #637 of 2,776
Yeah, that Currawong review really puts into focus what I'm hearing, but taken to another level because of how high-end the rest of his gear is. But just because you're not running Susvaras via ultra pure interconnects doesn't mean the Mjolnir won't be deeply impressive (at least it was to me). Also, glad to get some opinions on the pre-amp feature, as there wasn't a lot of comments on that aspect. Eventually, I'd like to get a power amp that can bring some of the Mjolnir's sound to speakers.
When the MJ3 arrives, my plan is to put it in place of the Freya+, and get a sense of, thru speakers.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #641 of 2,776
Any one can possibly share how MJ3 compares to Violectric V281 sound signature wise? I am looking at some warmth in vocals and highs, as my ears are a bit treble sensitive.

From my demo, it’s neutral but full bodied notes with extended yet nonfatiguing treble. MJ3 is a very refined sounding amp so you should never hear fatigue unless your DAC or source is inducing it

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #642 of 2,776
I understand enough about this product to know that it is exactly the sort of odd product that I really want to own. But with merely a pair of Sennheiser HD660S headphones, it would be a waste for me. I should be thinking about getting some S2 headphones, instead. But this "class A" amp sounds super cool.
As an owner of the S2 and MJ3, I'm a big fan of the pairing. It won't make you forget multi-kilobuck headphones exist, but I was taken with how well the S2 scales with pricier gear, and how engrossing the sound is. GAS has been satiated...for now!

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #644 of 2,776
I’ve been mainly using my 6xx with MJ3 and the Focals with Vali2+ and Piety. Ain’t a damn thing wrong with the Senns.

Agreed! Some people even sourced esoteric chains like Abbas NOS DACs and Eddie Current 445 or Studio B amps to fully maximize their 6XX/650s.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #645 of 2,776
Agreed! Some people even sourced esoteric chains like Abbas NOS DACs and Eddie Current 445 or Studio B amps to fully maximize their 6XX/650s.
I’ve got the Yggdrasil GS2+ arriving Friday (longest ten days of my life) and then things get interesting trying to figure out what synergies work best. Gungnir MB has been great with my two channel but I’m initially planning on the Yggy there and Gungnir MB with MJ2. Then consider some planars. I didn’t plan this for my retirement but it’s working so far. Old me is shaking his head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back