Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #616 of 2,878
I feel like the S17 is going to be the Class-A amp for a lot of folks who are priced out of the Mjolnir, which as long as it doesn't overheat (no top venting!), I'm stoked that there's a sub-1K option for them.
I have been following this thread and did snag the S17 pro from Amazon early this week when they had few in stock and has been running long hours, it does get warm but seems to stay stable at that temperature, interesting that Aune chose a sealed top cover and perhaps may be by design? I am impressed with the sound and able to use my Beyer DT 770 Pro without those shrills highs.
S17 pro sound sounds like what everyone seems to be describing Mjolnir, it would be great to compare the 2. I am south of the border in SCAL and have to find some one in the vicinity who has Mjolnir or brave a 4 hour drive to Schitt store in Newhall

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #617 of 2,878
That Currawong picture about Susvara pairing with the MJ3 in his upcoming video is gonna be lit! I would consider him nitpicking too much if he starts to say it doesn't give off the very expansive soundstage of a SET amp or a visceral impact of the WA33 amp. I just can't find any 1K brand new amp that can even touch the MJ3 overall in driving the Susvara. Midgard at $219 gets close but it's clearly less refined in the snap of transients compared to MJ3. I'd like to hear the Aune S17 though which to me is promising given the hype in the YT space.
I don't own a Susvara, but I might suggest the Burson Soloist 3XP as a possible alternative (preferably with the SC-3A PSU) ... Class A, 8w into 32 Ohm, balanced, so should drive Susvara OK, I would think. Currently on sale and similar price to MJ3. It's on the brighter side of neutral and would suit warmer headphones more. It sounds very good with Meze Empyrean, for example.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #618 of 2,878
I don't own a Susvara, but I might suggest the Burson Soloist 3XP as a possible alternative (preferably with the SC-3A PSU) ... Class A, 8w into 32 Ohm, balanced, so should drive Susvara OK, I would think. Currently on sale and similar price to MJ3. It's on the brighter side of neutral and would suit warmer headphones more. It sounds very good with Meze Empyrean, for example.
Is the Soloist 3xp full time Class A or is it high biased into Class A?

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #619 of 2,878
Is the Soloist 3xp full time Class A or is it high biased into Class A?
You might like to ask Burson about that and get your answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

EDIT: I have asked them on your behalf

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #620 of 2,878
It might get hot… I sidestepped that issue… ordered a

My Mj3’s Running cool as a cucumber? What’s up with that phase?…
Mj3 yes… the unit gets hot and the heat sinks do there job, radiating heat. Hand warmer heat style. As a tube guy I've always managed to configure some kind of forced air cooling system. For Mj3 I installed (unit sits directly on top the Mj3) This in stylish class A fan. Sold by “ACInfinity Aircom” Model S9… top exhaust.. is it running? It’s that dead quiet, for a cooling fan…designed with 3 full size boxer fans draw air up and out. Mj3 runs cool (slightly warm/cool) on the lowest speed setting… it’s just not audible 17”w 1.5”H perfect match…

Hot is an adjective.
how many BTU can produce and dissipate into the room via the heatsink from the MJ3 which consumes 50W from the power line? nothing to worry about...

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #621 of 2,878
Hot is an adjective.
how many BTU can produce and dissipate into the room via the heatsink from the MJ3 which consumes 50W from the power line? nothing to worry about...
Good point. My Lab Gruppen is spec'd at between 320 (on but idle) to 928 BTU/hr at 1/4 power. It sucks close to a kilowatt when running (it's driving 2 subs, bridged, and 4 other speakers, thing is a beast!)

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #622 of 2,878
My main complaint with these headphones on my previous setup (multibit card -> jot 1) was not enough engagement, but this fixes that problem entirely. It feels like I'm experiencing the music instead of just having it presented to me if that makes sense.
One downside to this is that it's harder to listen to music while doing other things because it makes me want to stop and listen.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #623 of 2,878
Here's a pic of the upcoming 'silver' (brushed aluminum) top for the Mjolnir 3. :heart_eyes:

2E500A7D-932F-45B4-9125-9D6F31710ABE.jpg

If you bought a MJ3 from the first batch, but are a fan of the brushed aluminum finish, some silver tops should be available to purchase by themselves ($TBD) around the first or second week of December. :L3000:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8730#post-17831959

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #624 of 2,878
Here's a pic of the upcoming 'silver' (brushed aluminum) top for the Mjolnir 3. :heart_eyes:

If you bought a MJ3 from the first batch, but are a fan of the brushed aluminum finish, some 'silver' tops should be available to purchase by themselves ($TBD) around the first or second week of December. :L3000:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8730#post-17831959
That is cool. I've preferred the sound of black cases since 1995, so the black powder coat looks good to me

i don't use emoji so i edit to say joking about the "sound" of case finnish.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #625 of 2,878
That is cool. I've preferred the sound of black cases since 1995, ...(edited to continue the jk)
One never hears about cryo-black cables because the sound becomes the sound of silence.
Cryo-silver on the other hand is the sound of angels frolicking on the beach.

Similarly for black and silver casework.

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #626 of 2,878
Maybe limited run, brand new boutique products just aren’t for everyone.

l acquired a Folkvangr this week (my first ever Schiit product save for the lowly but great modi) and immediately fell in love with it so much I went and ordered a M3 this morning, it feels like you’re part of an exclusive club owning these rare pieces.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #627 of 2,878
Currawong just dropped his review for this amp.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #628 of 2,878

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #629 of 2,878
Glad Currawong said a couple of times about MJ3 driving Susvara excellently. Of course speaker amps will get you more impact (such as the Riviera AIC 10 Balanced) but I seriously would take the Mjolnir 3 with Susvaras at a desert island and not miss anything much aside from the classic tube sound that you have to pay many times the Mjolnir 3 to even beat the Mjolnir 3 noticeably in terms of sound presentation with Susvara.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #630 of 2,878
Great review, @Currawong!

I think you really nailed describing the SQ of the Mjolnir 3 when you said that it's "So resolving that it becomes smooth." Even though that sounds like a contradiction of terms, once you really get to listen to the MJ3 for a while (with a great DAC or turntable, of course), that description will make perfect sense.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back