Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #602 of 2,880
Maybe limited run, brand new boutique products just aren’t for everyone. If your priorities are full documentation and prior testing and proof to the nth degree prior to the first sale perhaps large scale, consumer products are better suited to you. Something from one of those mega corporations that have 14,000 dedicated documentation and compliance engineers and only make products that ship a minimum of 10 million units. Please just cancel your order already.

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #603 of 2,880
We dont even know if it has 2W of power at all. May be 1W. Mistakes happen, right? I lost my trust and if the amp dosent blow me out of the water I will send it back.

Schiit earns a lot of trust with us through it's transparency. It's really out of character for them to leave uncertainty hanging over this product.

I don’t think it’s fair for you to make claims about transparency when Schiit has posted the full specs on its website: https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3 AND made the full measurements available for your perusal on that page as well, as they typically do: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Mjolnir 3.pdf.

Have you actually looked through the measurements of the amp before freaking out here? It looks like all the measurements were taken from the XLR output and done in the various modes switchable on the front (low gain and high gain, push pull vs. single ended, and feedback vs. no feedback). From what I can tell, Schiit, in typical fashion, rated the amp conservatively.

///

Regardless of whether the 2W or 8W push pull figure is correct, you’re using nowhere near that amount of power with any headphones unless you’re legitimately trying to make yourself go deaf. Most listening is done with fractions of milliwatts, maybe milliwatts if the headphone is inefficient. If you’re listening at super loud levels like 100 dB or more, then you may approach or breach the 1W mark with super inefficient headphones, but say goodbye to your hearing if you listen at those levels for long. See this post from AtomicBob about power needed even at these extreme volumes.

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #605 of 2,880
Nov 16, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #606 of 2,880
I don’t think it’s fair for you to make claims about transparency when Schiit has posted the full specs on its website: https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3 AND made the full measurements available for your perusal on that page as well, as they typically do: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Mjolnir 3.pdf.

Have you actually looked through the measurements of the amp before freaking out here? It looks like all the measurements were taken from the XLR output and done in the various modes switchable on the front (low gain and high gain, push pull vs. single ended, and feedback vs. no feedback). From what I can tell, Schiit, in typical fashion, rated the amp conservatively.

///

Regardless of whether the 2W or 8W push pull figure is correct, you’re using nowhere near that amount of power with any headphones unless you’re legitimately trying to make yourself go deaf. Most listening is done with fractions of milliwatts, maybe milliwatts if the headphone is inefficient. If you’re listening at super loud levels like 100 dB or more, then you may approach or breach the 1W mark with super inefficient headphones, but say goodbye to your hearing if you listen at those levels for long. See this post from AtomicBob about power needed even at these extreme volumes.
Bravo ! :clap:

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #607 of 2,880
After spending a while longer with with my new setup (BF 2/64 -> MJ3 -> Arya V2) I think I can give some thoughts about it. Everything across the board is better. Detail, sound stage, less annoying treble in certain songs, imaging, etc. It can sound so gentle with violins while also turning up the energy with guitars. It even makes songs that I thought just weren't going to sound great on hi-fi sound better. My main complaint with these headphones on my previous setup (multibit card -> jot 1) was not enough engagement, but this fixes that problem entirely. It feels like I'm experiencing the music instead of just having it presented to me if that makes sense. Thought I needed different headphones to get the engagement I was seeking.

I'm extremely satisfied with this and I can see myself being done with headphone gear for a long time. I was expecting a slight improvement and maybe some buyers remorse, but this exceeded my expectations. Do keep in mind that I'm not experienced with lots of gear so I don't know if this is better than stuff at similar price points. This is just me rambling about it to people that understand because I love it so much.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #608 of 2,880
@Velvet73 by all accounts this thing is a bargain.

HST and using the standard 1/5th on electronics and 4/5th on transducers, what would be the equivalent bargain headphones at up to 4x the price of MJ3? (or was it 1/3 and 2/3?)

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #609 of 2,880
After spending a while longer with with my new setup (BF 2/64 -> MJ3 -> Arya V2) I think I can give some thoughts about it. Everything across the board is better. Detail, sound stage, less annoying treble in certain songs, imaging, etc. It can sound so gentle with violins while also turning up the energy with guitars. It even makes songs that I thought just weren't going to sound great on hi-fi sound better. My main complaint with these headphones on my previous setup (multibit card -> jot 1) was not enough engagement, but this fixes that problem entirely. It feels like I'm experiencing the music instead of just having it presented to me if that makes sense. Thought I needed different headphones to get the engagement I was seeking.

I'm extremely satisfied with this and I can see myself being done with headphone gear for a long time. I was expecting a slight improvement and maybe some buyers remorse, but this exceeded my expectations. Do keep in mind that I'm not experienced with lots of gear so I don't know if this is better than stuff at similar price points. This is just me rambling about it to people that understand because I love it so much.
Well I am still waiting for it to come out in EU .. estiamted date used to be 15.10. That one is long past and current estimate is end october, early november. Feel like that has kind of passed too. Idk I hope its there before christmas.
Was verry excited when I ordered but I am slowly loosing excitement. Hope it comes back when I finaly have it in my hands.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #611 of 2,880
Does anyone know why there are still no reviews from big reviewers? I know that currawong has one standing around for a while now but still .. nothing.
Certainly not a "formal review" but you get where Currawong is leaning from this post
Given the nature of the MJ3, along with the limited release and price point, it's not too surprising that it hasn't made any noise with the standard online review gang
That said, the MJ3 definitely scratches that class A itch with a clean, powerful, and liquid sound that is hard to find elsewhere, very happy with mine!!
:beerchug:

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #612 of 2,880
Certainly not a "formal review" but you get where Currawong is leaning from this post
Given the nature of the MJ3, along with the limited release and price point, it's not too surprising that it hasn't made any noise with the standard online review gang
That said, the MJ3 definitely scratches that class A itch with a clean, powerful, and liquid sound that is hard to find elsewhere, very happy with mine!!
Niiice looks to me as if it would be a matter of days until we see his review. Thank you.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #613 of 2,880
I'm note sure why a reviewer/influencer would review something that (a) Schiit isn't going to "buy" the influence and (b) most of their viewers will not be able to purchase.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #614 of 2,880

That Currawong picture about Susvara pairing with the MJ3 in his upcoming video is gonna be lit! I would consider him nitpicking too much if he starts to say it doesn't give off the very expansive soundstage of a SET amp or a visceral impact of the WA33 amp. I just can't find any 1K brand new amp that can even touch the MJ3 overall in driving the Susvara. Midgard at $219 gets close but it's clearly less refined in the snap of transients compared to MJ3. I'd like to hear the Aune S17 though which to me is promising given the hype in the YT space.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #615 of 2,880
I feel like the S17 is going to be the Class-A amp for a lot of folks who are priced out of the Mjolnir, which as long as it doesn't overheat (no top venting!), I'm stoked that there's a sub-1K option for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back