Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #586 of 2,784
I’ve definitely noticed improvements once the MJ3 warms up. I’d say after 20-30 minutes, but this is complete guesswork on my part.
Yeah, leaving it on overnight, the balanced cable has had an effect. Could be it's just a much better cable than the stock cable.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #587 of 2,784
Jason just confirmed that the Mjolnir 3's max power output in both SE and P-P modes are the same, and is as stated in its specs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8699#post-17819991

So all that amazing punch and dynamic contrast you hear is coming from the 2 most bad-ass watts on the planet!! :sweat_smile::L3000:
That is an unacceptable "mistake" from Jason. Its missleading if you want to say it verry nice but fraud would be the more correct word.
Its not that it matters to me but I am thinking about canceling my order over this.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #588 of 2,784
That is an unacceptable "mistake" from Jason. Its missleading if you want to say it verry nice but fraud would be the more correct word.
Its not that it matters to me but I am thinking about canceling my order over this.
So no one is allowed to make a mistake or misspeak ever or off with their head? Seems like a bit of an over reaction.

It would be nice if they edited the Mjolnir 3 product page though, so it was clearer.

“And, just to prove we aren’t totally crazy, we also gave you the option to switch to push-pull Class A, for more power.”

What I wonder is if that means it actually makes less than 2W in single ended mode, and how much less? For comparison the little Asgard 3 with its wall wart is supposed to have its first 500mW as Class A before shifting into Continuity.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #589 of 2,784
Jason just confirmed that the Mjolnir 3's max power output in both SE and P-P modes are the same, and is as stated in its specs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8699#post-17819991

So all that amazing punch and dynamic contrast you hear is coming from the 2 most bad-ass watts on the planet!! :sweat_smile::L3000:
That's not what he confirmed, although he does back away from the 8W claim for push-pull. We don't know what the push-pull specs are except that they are higher

"for higher power, you can switch to push-pull Class A" says the FAQ. The FAQ also links to the Head-Fi post with the 8W claim.

Like @Monsieur Dionysos I am pretty shocked that Schiit made the claim on Head-Fi and haven't corrected it until now. Beyond the terse response that @XERO1 got, @Jason Stoddard should take the time to make and share a proper measurement of push-pull class A so those of us with pre-orders can decide if we want to wait or cancel.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #590 of 2,784
Yeah, leaving it on overnight, the balanced cable has had an effect. Could be it's just a much better cable than the stock cable.
Just FYI, the MJ3 also does not weigh 16 pounds like indicated in its website. Its weight is 12.2 pounds without the packaging materials and the power cord. I noticed FedEx indicated that the whole MJ3 package was 14 pounds when it shipped to my house so the amp itself cannot be 16 pounds...

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #591 of 2,784
Just FYI, the MJ3 also does not weigh 16 pounds like indicated in its website. Its weight is 12.2 pounds without the packaging materials and the power cord. I noticed FedEx indicated that the whole MJ3 package was 14 pounds when it shipped to my house so the amp itself cannot be 16 pounds...
16 pounds is when all chokes and capacitors are fully charged. LOL

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #592 of 2,784
While I understand some of the concern and confusion about the Mjolnir 3's power output specs, it would be a shame if you let that be the reason you chose to pass on it.

The Mjolnir 3 will have no problem driving 99.99% of all the headphones ever made. In fact, I can count on one hand the few ultra-hard-to-drive headphones it might not have quite enough power for. But to be fair, virtually every headphone amp ever made (including some of the amps that output over 10W) will have a difficult time driving them.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #593 of 2,784
While I understand some of the concern and confusion about the Mjolnir 3's power output specs, it would be a shame if you let that be the reason you chose to pass on it.

The Mjolnir 3 will have no problem driving 99.99% of all the headphones ever made. In fact, I can count on one hand the few ultra-hard-to-drive headphones it might not have quite enough power for. But to be fair, virtually every headphone amp ever made (including some of the amps that output over 10W) will have a difficult time driving them.

Even the Susvara sings beautifully with the MJ3. It really gives the bliss, oor and Prelude a run for their money when driving the Susvara seriously.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #594 of 2,784
It’s fraud but you gotta think about it? Ha! You do sound like modern day gods of religion.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #595 of 2,784
I am still waiting on my MJ3 to arrive, but as long as it drives my headphones well, and sounds good to me I really don't care how many watts it is rated at. All it has to do is sound better than my Soloist 3XP, and I will be happy. Hopefully I will have my unit in hand by next week to find out, but we shall see.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #597 of 2,784
Just to clarify: I would have bought the MJ3 with the actual specs aswell I just think its absolutly unacceptable of a company to leave it to the consumer to find out themselfs that they have been messed with. No matter if intentional.
Still waiting for my email from shiit clarifying. Did any of you get an official email? Or any other official statement directed to you?

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #598 of 2,784
That's not really the concern. It's more that we were promised one thing and will be getting something different.

Also that we don't know what we're getting because the class specs aren't published. We don't even know if the currently published 2W is for single ended (my assumption) or for push-pull ( @cats4cans question).

It's not a lot to ask for @Jason Stoddard to take measurements and make a clarification.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #599 of 2,784
That's not really the concern. It's more that we were promised one thing and will be getting something different.

Also that we don't know what we're getting because the class specs aren't published. We don't even know if the currently published 2W is for single ended (my assumption) or for push-pull ( @cats4cans question).

It's not a lot to ask for @Jason Stoddard to take measurements and make a clarification.
We dont even know if it has 2W of power at all. May be 1W. Mistakes happen, right? I lost my trust and if the amp dosent blow me out of the water I will send it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back