Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #571 of 3,097
foto_no_exif (4).jpgI recently upgraded from a Jot 1 with a multibit card to a MJ3 with a BF2/64 and wow. I was not expecting it to be this much better. This is fantastic. Headphones are the Arya V2.
Congrats on your new setup. I will be joining you in that regard once my Mjolnir 3 arrives. Bifrost 2/64 + Mjolnir 3 + Arya Stealth

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #575 of 3,097
foto_no_exif (4).jpgI recently upgraded from a Jot 1 with a multibit card to a MJ3 with a BF2/64 and wow. I was not expecting it to be this much better. This is fantastic. Headphones are the Arya V2.
Nice... I have Bifrost 2/64 + MJ3 + HE1000SE...

Nov 9, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #576 of 3,097
I recently upgraded from a Jot 1 with a multibit card to a MJ3 with a BF2/64 and wow. I was not expecting it to be this much better. This is fantastic.

leansecondhandalbino-small.gif

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #577 of 3,097
Aint it the truth...Schiit’s Bifrost 2/24 DAC; Mj3 Headphone Amp are superb combo… Warning: I noticed since the Mj3 arrived, I'm relistening to every album completely through… I skipping the normal audiophile hook, of listening to an odd track here, another album track there. Time’s now altered… I put on say an opera… next thing I notice, 3hrs disappear… and now it's 2 AM… Geez… now that's what I call Immersive Audio.
— ☈
Headgear〈 Dan Clark Ether C Flow 1.1 ~ Closed

Ronald E Smith
rsmithor@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #578 of 3,097
Aint it the truth...Schiit’s Bifrost 2/24 DAC; Mj3 Headphone Amp are superb combo… Warning: I noticed since the Mj3 arrived, I'm relistening to every album completely through… I skipping the normal audiophile hook, of listening to an odd track here, another album track there. Time’s now altered… I put on say an opera… next thing I notice, 3hrs disappear… and now it's 2 AM… Geez… now that's what I call Immersive Audio.
— ☈
Headgear〈 Dan Clark Ether C Flow 1.1 ~ Closed 〉

Attachments

• IMG_8363.jpeg
    IMG_8363.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #579 of 3,097
The thing I'm stuck on right now, with MJ3 is Bowie's Let's Dance album.

One of the tracks, although Bowie is still the main vocals, at one point it sounds like he's standing next to you, on the right, and singing directly to you.
Almost like he's decided to whisper the rest of the song into your ear.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #580 of 3,097
The thing I'm stuck on right now, with MJ3 is Bowie's Let's Dance album.

One of the tracks, although Bowie is still the main vocals, at one point it sounds like he's standing next to you, on the right, and singing directly to you.
Almost like he's decided to whisper the rest of the song into your ear.
in the 1985's i watched multiple big screen theater showings of David Bowie and Mick Jagger doing the dance moves of Let's Dance. saw so many viewings it is ingrained in my brain
my bad. was 'dancing in the streets'

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #581 of 3,097
Got some balanced headphone audio cables from Hart Audio (so many colors to choose from!).

Soundstage seems more coherent than with the stock Eta Mini-C cables. That is, the soundstage seems more like a stage rather than sounds original from the left or right.
Probably placebo or shiny-new-toy effect but it's not what I was expecting.

Then again, the MJ3 is relatively cold. Maybe it's the compression/congestion people mention with a cold MJ3?

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #582 of 3,097
Got some balanced headphone audio cables from Hart Audio (so many colors to choose from!).

Soundstage seems more coherent than with the stock Eta Mini-C cables. That is, the soundstage seems more like a stage rather than sounds original from the left or right.
Probably placebo or shiny-new-toy effect but it's not what I was expecting.

Then again, the MJ3 is relatively cold. Maybe it's the compression/congestion people mention with a cold MJ3?
I’ve definitely noticed improvements once the MJ3 warms up. I’d say after 20-30 minutes, but this is complete guesswork on my part.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #583 of 3,097
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #584 of 3,097
Jason just confirmed that the Mjolnir 3's max power output in both SE and P-P modes are the same, and is as stated in its specs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8699#post-17819991

So all that amazing punch and dynamic contrast you hear is coming from the 2 most bad-ass watts on the planet!! :sweat_smile::L3000:
I thought the main advantage to using push-pull over SE Class A was the higher power output. I have found myself preferring push-pull with my planar headphones (Meze Elite), but if power output is the same as SE Class A, there must be another subjective reason I like it more. Regardless, there is plenty of power in either mode for all my headphones, even in low gain.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #585 of 3,097
I believe it's the different presentation each mode brings to the table. In my setup, the SE pure class A presents the sound in a more laid back way while the PP presents the sound a bit more visceral/powerful manner. The word that keeps coming to my mind is "deliberate" presentation. So it seems more ballsy and powerful. I can see depending on setup, preference, or mood will draw someone to choose one over the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back