Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #557 of 2,881
Does anyone else get a random click every now and then? I have no idea what it is and I emailed Schiit about it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back. The amp seems to be working fine, but I'm a bit worried about this clicking sound as if some failsafe is triggering. Would like some peace of mind.

I’ve recently noticed the same here but so far no functional or sound issues to report. 😅🤞🏻

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #558 of 2,881
This would be a good pairing for MJ3 considering the sonic characteristics
It is an excellent pairing. My streamer/DAC's DAC is equally good and since I need the streamer....

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #559 of 2,881
I've never heard a clicking from the mj3 when in normal use. That is strange.

I’ve recently noticed the same here but so far no functional or sound issues to report. 😅🤞🏻

It was fine for a couple of months until last week or so. Fingers crossed it's nothing to be concerned about, but even if it's functionally okay... it is a bit annoying.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #560 of 2,881
Nov 4, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #561 of 2,881
MJ3 attracts my attention due to its power output which is within 1 to 2 watts on 32 ohms - SE/balanced which I feel is perfect for my headphones, I have dynamic headphones listed below, mostly lower impedance and a bit higher sensitivity.
Beyer dynamic DT 770 pro (32 Ohms/96db), Meze 99 Neo (26 Ohms/103db), Sony MDr-Z1R (64 Ohms/100db), JVC Dx 1000 (64 Ohms/102db).

Curious from current owners if I will sense any background noise from the amp on the sensitive phones specifically in the 100 to 103 db range? My JVC is SE and I can use Z1r and Neo to be balanced.

Sound signature wise I am reading that it is a bit on warmer side, of course depends on the source and my lean is certainly warmer and softer treble.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #562 of 2,881
Seems obvious in hindsight but the Mjolnir makes it a lot easier to tell whatever is going on with a DAC or a pair of headphones. Like, now I get why some folks prefer the Ares 2 and others prefer the BF2 in a side-by-side comp whereas before the differences weren't as clear. You don't know what's missing until you have it and lose it, I suppose.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #563 of 2,881
Seems obvious in hindsight but the Mjolnir makes it a lot easier to tell whatever is going on with a DAC or a pair of headphones. Like, now I get why some folks prefer the Ares 2 and others prefer the BF2 in a side-by-side comp whereas before the differences weren't as clear. You don't know what's missing until you have it and lose it, I suppose.
So, would you say that there would be a reason to upgrade from the BF2/64 to a Yggdrasil+ OG (down the road) once I get my Mjolnir 3 (waiting for it to ship)? I currently have an Arya Stealth, and I will be picking up a version of the Tungsten in the future.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #564 of 2,881
So, would you say that there would be a reason to upgrade from the BF2/64 to a Yggdrasil+ OG (down the road) once I get my Mjolnir 3 (waiting for it to ship)? I currently have an Arya Stealth, and I will be picking up a version of the Tungsten in the future.
I'm not familiar with the Yggy or any of its variants, but as long as the reviews you trust say there's an improvement that you think would suit your tastes, then yes. Tbh, I'm not very familiar with any kilo-buck DACs myself, so I'm going off the word of others in this thread who seem to think you should try to get the best source you can for this amp. What I've personally experienced, the Ares 2 does sound less smeared and more detailed in the upper registers than the BF2/64, but the Bifrost is more dynamic and has better bass. If I could get something that combines best of both and then improves upon that, I'd think that was worth the considerable upgrade fee.

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #566 of 2,881
I forget, does anyone have one of these connected to an MMB2?

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #567 of 2,881
I have been thinking that it would be nice if Schiit Audio comes out with a limited run version of the Gungnir Multibit. If that product ends up becoming a reality prior to me purchasing a new DAC I might go for it. It would make a nice pairing with the Mjolnir 3, but until that time I will enjoy it with my Bifrost 2/64.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #569 of 2,881
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg
I am thinking about getting the MJ3 or Ragnarok. It sound like the MJ would be better for both headphone and preamp duties. I am just wondering in degrees how hot does it get. Don't have many places to put this on my desk. Not sure if it's too hot to place it in front of my monitor or me. If not I will have to place it on top of my Rel Sub beneath the desk. Also, does anyone use a switched outlet to turn theirs on and off?
It might get hot… I sidestepped that issue… ordered a
Do you find your monitor is too hot? MJ3 at 50W generates about as much heat as a monitor or laptop. The heat is concentrated at the heatsinks.

I've checked with Schiit on other gear, and they've always said it was find to switch at the outlet instead of the inbuilt switch.
My Mj3’s Running cool as a cucumber? What’s up with that phase?…
Mj3 yes… the unit gets hot and the heat sinks do there job, radiating heat. Hand warmer heat style. As a tube guy I've always managed to configure some kind of forced air cooling system. For Mj3 I installed (unit sits directly on top the Mj3) This in stylish class A fan. Sold by “ACInfinity Aircom” Model S9… top exhaust.. is it running? It’s that dead quiet, for a cooling fan…designed with 3 full size boxer fans draw air up and out. Mj3 runs cool (slightly warm/cool) on the lowest speed setting… it’s just not audible 17”w 1.5”H perfect match…

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back