Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #541 of 2,789
So, what you're saying is I better start saving, eh? lol Tbh, I need to upgrade my source first. I wish Mac and iPhone wasn't so closed off from bit-perfect audio, forcing me to consider something like the R7 in my chain in order to make any downstream upgrades worth it. It'll take some time for the Mjolnir 3 to be fully complemented, but I'm glad I'm pretty flippin happy with the current sound.
With the exception of a bit of casual listening via my AppleTV, all of my listening happens curtesy of one of my M1 Mac minis and Roon.

I haaaaaaate Roon's UI with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but their audio pipeline is second to none. Tell Roon to talk to your DAC in "hog mode" (or "exclusive mode" as Roon calls it) and you're golden. This will bypass macOS's habit of resampling entirely and will ensure that the audio stream that leaves your USB port is always at the same sampling and bit rate as the stream or file you're playing. It'll also show you what the pipeline is doing at any given time, so you always know what's going on. Won't get any more bit-perfect than that.

iOS's USB out is bit-perfect by default, iOS doesn't resample audio streams to external DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #542 of 2,789
... how good/pointless would it be to pair the Mjolnir 3 with something as endgame as the ...
So...

I've paired the MJ3 with a OG Gumby and a Linn Akurate Katalyst (streamer/DAC). The Gumby, new, was around $1300. The Linn Akurate DS Katalyst new was $9500 in today's money (converting from pounds in 2018 to dollars today. Maybe cost even more in the U.S due to import etc).

I could clearly hear the differences between the two.

P.S. On the 2ch rig I had to compare the GMB and the Linn, they sounded the same to me. For years I used the GMB as the DAC using the Linn only as a streamer.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #543 of 2,789
I love the fact that you found the 2W(32Ω) MJ3 to have a fuller sound and better punch in the bass than the 24W(32Ω) Rag2 on the very hard-to-drive HE6SEv2!! :grinning:

This is just another great example that the old audiophile saying that "Not all watts are created equal" is absolutely true! :gs1000smile:
Likely this was using push pull mode: so 8W(32Ω) , not 2W(32Ω).

See Jason's article for more..
that’s why MJ3 will also have a front panel switch so you can run push-pull Class A. And suddenly it’s an 8W/32 ohm amp.

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #544 of 2,789
I just have to laugh, placed the order for a silver Mjolnr 3 on October 3rd and I was hoping it would ship November 1st even though it said estimate on their web page. Now the estimated ship date has been puished back to Novemeber 20th. I guess they were too busy building the Yggdrassil+ More is Better (MIB) since it just appeared on their web page and will ship in 1-3 days.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #545 of 2,789
I have to say, while the MJ3 sounds fine after warming up for 1/2h, I think it sounds even more detailed now that it's been on for 3-4 days hours.

Originally wrote "days" but then remembered I unplugged it for approx 1/2h to rearrange the rack.

stand.jpg

(waiting for casters before putting LPs on rack)

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #546 of 2,789
I just have to laugh, placed the order for a silver Mjolnr 3 on October 3rd and I was hoping it would ship November 1st even though it said estimate on their web page. Now the estimated ship date has been puished back to Novemeber 20th. I guess they were too busy building the Yggdrassil+ More is Better (MIB) since it just appeared on their web page and will ship in 1-3 days.
yeh empathy... i placed order MJ3 on October 13th, and order Urd on October 17th. both now pushed back. trying to convince self there is no hurry.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #547 of 2,789
So...

I've paired the MJ3 with a OG Gumby and a Linn Akurate Katalyst (streamer/DAC). The Gumby, new, was around $1300. The Linn Akurate DS Katalyst new was $9500 in today's money (converting from pounds in 2018 to dollars today. Maybe cost even more in the U.S due to import etc).

I could clearly hear the differences between the two.

P.S. On the 2ch rig I had to compare the GMB and the Linn, they sounded the same to me. For years I used the GMB as the DAC using the Linn only as a streamer.
OG DS Gumby?

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #549 of 2,789
Does anyone else get a random click every now and then? I have no idea what it is and I emailed Schiit about it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back. The amp seems to be working fine, but I'm a bit worried about this clicking sound as if some failsafe is triggering. Would like some peace of mind.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #550 of 2,789
Does anyone else get a random click every now and then? I have no idea what it is and I emailed Schiit about it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back. The amp seems to be working fine, but I'm a bit worried about this clicking sound as if some failsafe is triggering. Would like some peace of mind.
Do you have a yggdrasil dac as well? Yggy dac will click with an internal relay.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #552 of 2,789
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #553 of 2,789
About heat...

You can see above, barely, that I have my MJ3 on some aluminum feet (aluminium for you across the pond); between it and the streamer/DAC under it.

You know that prickling sensation in your fingers when you touch something hot, but not too hot?

After a few hours, that's the sensation I get touching one of the alumin(i)um feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back