Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #271 of 2,776
Question to MJ3 owners, I noticed when I turn on the headamp, there is no relay click to let you know the amp is ready for operation which is unlike my Jot2, Freya N, and Vali2 which all do click after 14 to 45 seconds after being turned on. Just wanted to make sure my MJ3 is normal.
That's a good question. I'd call Schiit. I believe that Jason also reads posts on this thread, so he might post an answer to your question here.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #272 of 2,776
Seems right. There is no microprocessor in this amp (old skool) so nothing to run a post turn-on operations check, and I assume no relays either.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #273 of 2,776
Question to MJ3 owners, I noticed when I turn on the headamp, there is no relay click to let you know the amp is ready for operation which is unlike my Jot2, Freya N, and Vali2 which all do click after 14 to 45 seconds after being turned on. Just wanted to make sure my MJ3 is normal.
On mine, I do here what sounds like three relay clicks when turning it on or off. They're not very loud so you might need to put your ear closer to it.

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #274 of 2,776
On mine, I do here what sounds like three relay clicks when turning it on or off. They're not very loud so you might need to put your ear closer to it.

Same here.

Once its switched on, it takes 8-10 seconds, then there are three faint clicks, and then the amp turns on.

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #275 of 2,776
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #276 of 2,776
Thanks guys, I will need to pay attention next time I turn it on. If the clicks are there, it must be really, really faint because I haven't heard it the first few times I turned the MJ3 on.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #277 of 2,776
Placing my head near the hp amp, I was able to hear the 3 clicks after I turned on the MJ3 today. Quite faint, it clicks like about 5 secs or so after flicking the switch on. So all is good. Thanks guys.

Now on to listening some music!

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #278 of 2,776
Finally truly getting around to listening and damn y'all right the resolution is insane.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #279 of 2,776
Finally truly getting around to listening and damn y'all right the resolution is insane.
I can't decide if it's a scalpel cutting the notes so finely or a microscopic making the plankton look like elephants.

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #280 of 2,776
hmm I'm having a possible issue, I think something might be wrong with my right channel, I'm getting static/crackling on the right channel in single-ended/no feedback/balanced in and out. Weirdly when I switch it over to Push Pull the static goes away. tried it on multiple headphones, and the single ended (6.35mm) jack on the front and even without anything plugged into the amp still has a small persistent static in just the right channel. The left is dead silent. :slight_frown:

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #281 of 2,776
hmm I'm having a possible issue, I think something might be wrong with my right channel, I'm getting static/crackling on the right channel in single-ended/no feedback/balanced in and out. Weirdly when I switch it over to Push Pull the static goes away. tried it on multiple headphones, and the single ended (6.35mm) jack on the front and even without anything plugged into the amp still has a small persistent static in just the right channel. The left is dead silent. :slight_frown:

Hopefully this is just an isolated incident, but you're the second person on this thread (Melting735 is the first) to notice something amiss with their MJ3. I'd contact Schiit and
turn the MJ3 off until you can determine what is causing the hiss. Best of luck!

Melting735 said " I turned it on before dinner and listened to a couple of tracks, but I left it on without music playing. After I come back in 2 hours, I heard hiss in the right cup. I restarted the whole chain, and only heard music in the right cup. I tried a few more things to diagnose, the right channel died soon after."

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #282 of 2,776
Hopefully this is just an isolated incident, but you're the second person on this thread (Melting735 is the first) to notice something amiss with their MJ3. I'd contact Schiit and
turn the MJ3 off until you can determine what is causing the hiss. Best of luck!

Melting735 said " I turned it on before dinner and listened to a couple of tracks, but I left it on without music playing. After I come back in 2 hours, I heard hiss in the right cup. I restarted the whole chain, and only heard music in the right cup. I tried a few more things to diagnose, the right channel died soon after."
Wondering if heat is the culprit here? Lots of parts living really close to the heart of the heat packed pretty closely in there ...
Even though the MJ3 went through several design iterations (and limited user testing) prior to being released, there are still lots of variables that cannot be reproduced until units are actually out there in the wild.

Folkvangr had a heat related issue with the molex connection is some units.
An issue that I'm sure would have been addressed in subsequent iterations (if there were any).

Hopefully what ails these MJ3s is something simple, something that can be explained in layman's terms, and something that the rest of us can be on the look out for.

To those being affected, please do keep us posted as this all unfolds, and hoping for a speedy resolution!
:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back