Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #256 of 2,724
How did FV compare to ZMF/Decware? Two themes on the same tubes ... check out Nitsch Piety if you like Schiit products with personality.
I had previously wrote a little something here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/post-17611370

From what I remember when compared to folkvangr the zmf otl is a bit more refined and has better technicalities across the broad. So it's better in all areas by little amounts as one would expect for the big jump in price, but it's how all these bumps in performance come together that makes it seem like a more significant jump in being an upgrade to folkvangr (so it is a noticeable step-up). The zmf decware has better stage depth and much more precise imaging. Stage width from memory is pretty close to the same since both sound pretty romantic and lush (they both have a midrange bloom), but the decware has better extension up top and down below vs the folkvangr.

While I'm no tube amp expert the best way to describe the zmf otl is that it is like a football player trying to dance like a ballerina. Meaning like the folkvangr it has a punchy full bass but the zmf shows more clarity and control on the overall sound. The folkvangr will come off as more macro oriented and harmonically thicker in its sound vs the zmf decware which shows better defined details overall. In fact the reason why I bought the zmf otl was because I was so impressed by how my zmf dynamic headphones sound on the schitt otl that I wanted to see if I could take this kind of sound even further and that's why I upgraded to the zmf decware amp.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #257 of 2,724
Schitt audio is now two for two with impressing me. I really like how (the MJ3) is so direct and engaging but somehow not abrasive.

This nicely sums up my experience with the Mjolnir 3 so far.

To my ears, this is Jason's most dynamic and resolving yet still refined and natural sounding headphone amp that he's designed so far. It's exactly what I always wanted the Jotenheim amps to sound like.

But make no mistake, the MJ3 is a resolution MONSTER!! You will hear EVERYTHING, both good and bad, that's going on with the SQ of the recording itself, the quality of your source, the limitations of your headphones, etc. But it always stays perfectly balanced right on the knifes edge of having both incredible resolution and also having lifelike tone and texture. It's so good, that it has actually stopped my jonesing for the best headphone amp I've ever heard (tube or SS), the $6250 Enleum AMP-23R. While I doubt it quite equals it in every respect, it gets close enough that I no longer really care, and I'm now more interested in going down the path of upgrading my DAC to see just how good the Mjolnir 3 can really sound!

Here is what I've discovered while living with the Mjolnir 3:

- Balanced-In/Balanced-Out sounds the best. If you are using the SE 6.35mm output, unfortunately you are not going to hear everything that the amp is capable of delivering. And by going balanced in and out, you get an additional 12dB of gain (without any downsides), which so far has allowed me to keep it in the Low Gain setting with even the quietest recordings.

- Low Gain sounds the best. But the High Gain setting is pretty close in SQ. High Gain is just a bit more up-front sounding, and with some laid-back headphones, High Gain may actually be the better sounding option. Thankfully, it has much less of the harshness and brightness that the High Gain setting causes in most other Schiit amps.

- Single-Ended Mode sounds the best. However, Push-Pull Mode sounds really close to the Single-Ended Mode with my headphones, so with more difficult-to-drive headphones, Push-Pull Mode might be the better sounding option.

- Feedback Off sounds the best. With feedback switched on, there is a subtle blurring of the MJ3's sonic clarity that takes away from what makes this amp sound so special. But I'm glad Jason included this option, as it clearly proved to me that negative feedback should be avoided whenever possible.

- Don't let its relatively low (by Schiit standards) 2W power rating fool you. The MJ3 is one of the most viscerally dynamic amps I've yet heard! It can kick like a mule whenever the music requires it to or it can just as easily 'float like a butterfly'. It simply becomes whatever the music playing through it requires it to be.

- It doesn't need much warm-up time to sound great. When new, it just needs around 20-30 hours of normal use to break in. After that, the amp doesn't need to (literally) warm up to sound great. It sounds really good from the moment it's switched on, and then maaaybe its SQ might slightly improve once it reaches its peak operating temperature, which usually takes 30-45 minutes. And it does get quite toasty (but not burning hot). :sweat_smile:

The Mjolnir 3 is a truly amazing sounding amp, and is definitely in the "Desert Island" category for me. While it is relatively expensive, I consider it one of the best purchases I've made so far in this crazy hobby and I honestly think I'll be keeping mine forever!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #258 of 2,724
Got mine setup yesterday evening. Letting it run for a bit to get nice and ready for some critical listening

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #259 of 2,724
Highly sensitive and low to mid impedance cans like Grado, Focal get a little hum (inaudible with any music) in PP on, through the SE output (silent still from balanced hp out, but I can't use that with Grado unless I pay $175).

I had previously wrote a little something here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/post-17611370

From what I remember when compared to folkvangr the zmf otl is a bit more refined and has better technicalities across the broad. So it's better in all areas by little amounts as one would expect for the big jump in price, but it's how all these bumps in performance come together that makes it seem like a more significant jump in being an upgrade to folkvangr (so it is a noticeable step-up). The zmf decware has better stage depth and much more precise imaging. Stage width from memory is pretty close to the same since both sound pretty romantic and lush (they both have a midrange bloom), but the decware has better extension up top and down below vs the folkvangr.

While I'm no tube amp expert the best way to describe the zmf otl is that it is like a football player trying to dance like a ballerina. Meaning like the folkvangr it has a punchy full bass but the zmf shows more clarity and control on the overall sound. The folkvangr will come off as more macro oriented and harmonically thicker in its sound vs the zmf decware which shows better defined details overall. In fact the reason why I bought the zmf otl was because I was so impressed by how my zmf dynamic headphones sound on the schitt otl that I wanted to see if I could take this kind of sound even further and that's why I upgraded to the zmf decware amp.
Thanks for your response. I read your other posts as well.

does the DecZ have the same power as FV (less power tubes, ergo ..)

Agatha or DecZ? Your comparison to FV was great. You seem to identify both Agatha and DecZ as more transparent than FV ... how do they compare with one another?

I'd really like to hear someone compare Kenzie to Agatha (1626 - vt137 to 300b). I've always assumed the 'baby 300b' sounded more linear than an actual 300b, but after reading your description I feel like I need to challange that assumption.

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #260 of 2,724
I previously bought a schitt folkvangr and really enjoyed it for the time I had it. I decided to now try the mjolnir 3 and after trying it for the first time today I can say I am again surprised by how fun sounding this brand is.

Reading the manual it says single ended class A is the purest kind. So, I decided to try my zmf aeolus first on single ended (meaning no push pull), low gain, no feedback, using balanced in, balanced out and my aeolus sounds great out of it. Volume wise I'm hovering above or below 9 o'clock on low gain so there is plenty of volume and power to play with here.

It definitely reminds me of the folkvangr in that its timbre is really good and there is a pleasing richness to the sound (it kinda softens sharp edges to the sound but somehow remains very direct and engaging), it does have less midrange bloom than folkvangr from my memory of it. I agree with comments I've read here and on other sites in that there is better extension up top and at the bottom vs the folkvangr which was going for a more unique sound. Bass has a bit of a pronounced thump to it so the amp to my ears has a bit of warmth which I really like.

I've never heard schitt products until I bought the folkvangr and now the mjolnir 3, but consider me a fan of the brand now.
They have a really fun way of presenting music that I have trouble trying to find in other brands. Not that there's anything wrong with amps that may be more on the clinical side, I just prefer what's going on here a little more.

Schitt audio is now two for two with impressing me. I really like how it's so direct and engaging but somehow not abrasive.
Was wondering how you like your Berkeley dac?

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #261 of 2,724
This nicely sums up my experience with the Mjolnir 3 so far.

To my ears, this is Jason's most refined and natural sounding SS amp that he's designed so far. It's exactly what I always wanted the Jotenheim amps to sound like.

But make no mistake, the MJ3 is a resolution monster! You will hear EVERYTHING, both good and bad, that's going on with the SQ of the recording itself, the quality of your source, the limitations of your headphones, etc. But it always stays perfectly balanced right on the knifes edge of having both incredible resolution and lifelike tone and texture. It's so good, that it has actually stopped my jonesing for the best amp I've ever heard, the $6250 Enleum AMP-23R. While I doubt it quite equals it in every respect, it has gotten close enough that I no longer really care, and I'm now more interested in going down the path of upgrading my DAC to see just how good the Mjolnir 3 can really sound!

Here's a few points I've discovered while listening to the Mjolnir 3:

- Balanced-in/balanced-out sounds the best. If you are using the SE 6.35mm output, unfortunately you are not hearing everything the amp is capable of delivering. And by going balanced in and out, you get an additional 12dB of gain (without any downsides), which so far has allowed me to stay in the Low Gain setting with even the quietest recordings.

- Low Gain sounds the best. But the High Gain setting is pretty close in SQ. It's just a bit more up-front sounding, and with some laid-back headphones, High Gain may actually be the better sounding option. Thankfully it has much less of the harshness that the High Gain setting in most other Schiit amps have had.

- Single-Ended sounds the best. However, Push-Pull mode sounds really, really close to the Single-Ended mode with my headphones, so with more difficult-to-drive headphones, Push-Pull might be the better sounding option.

- Feedback Off sounds the best. With feedback switched on, there is a subtle blurring of the sonic clarity that takes away from what makes this amp sound so special. But I'm glad Jason included this option, as it clearly proved to me that negative feedback should be avoided whenever possible.

- After around the first 20 hours of normal use, the amp doesn't need to (literally) warm up to sound great. It sounds really good from the second it's switched on and then maaaybe its SQ slightly improves once it reaches its peak operating temperature, which is quite toasty by the way! :sweat_smile:

It really is an amazing sounding amp, and is definitely in the "Desert Island" category for me. While it is relatively expensive, I consider it one of the best purchases I've made so far in this crazy hobby and I honestly think I'll be keeping the Mjolnir 3 forever!! :L3000:
Can anyone compare it to the Liquid plat and the flux fa-10? Especially the FA-10 as I think its the prime competition for the mJ3 considering they are in a similar price class, class A and a similar footprint, the FA-10 has loads more power though.

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #262 of 2,724
Highly sensitive and low to mid impedance cans like Grado, Focal get a little hum (inaudible with any music) in PP on, through the SE output (silent still from balanced hp out, but I can't use that with Grado unless I pay $175).

Thanks for your response. I read your other posts as well.

does the DecZ have the same power as FV (less power tubes, ergo ..)

Agatha or DecZ? Your comparison to FV was great. You seem to identify both Agatha and DecZ as more transparent than FV ... how do they compare with one another?

I'd really like to hear someone compare Kenzie to Agatha (1626 - vt137 to 300b). I've always assumed the 'baby 300b' sounded more linear than an actual 300b, but after reading your description I feel like I need to challange that assumption.
Folkvangr has more power 1.2w @300ohms and the DecZ is 450mw @250ohms.

The agartha is totally different from the other amps I have using 300b. It's the first and only 300b amp I've heard it has a very unique sound with a very wide stage. The DecZ is romantic and less wide.

I have not heard them back to back since I've been pretty busy this week. But off the top of my head the agartha has an even sound (no particular frequency is emphasized), it's a reference sound that is also very weighty. The DecZ is not as weighty and is much more lush. In other words the DecZ is more tubey to my ears vs the Agartha which shows more realism in your music.

The agrtha's 300b tubes make realistic vocals and insturments sound like they are live in the room with you. Agartha bass is even and again thick and compared to folkvangr and DecZ, the agartha won't punch as hard but it has a deeper subbass rumble effect. The agartha being even sounding doesn't mess with a headphones frequency response the way folkvangr and the DecZ would with their mid range bloom. The agartha has an unusually etheral treble (kinda reminds me of an estat sound at times). The DecZ treble has more bite to it.

I do not have enough funds to tube roll either amp yet, but I will eventually. They are both still using stock tubes so they will both improve once I can afford to try that. Resolution wise they're about the same, but since the agartha pulls me into the recording more it comes off as a bit more detailed. The difference is like the agartha pulls you into the recording but the folkvangr and DecZ pull you more into the music if that makes sense.

The agartha is not forward on the attack and is quite an easy and a very emotional listen. So it will depend on how you want to listen to your music. I really like both amps but I can understand some will either love 300b or are bored by it as the DecZ is more forward sounding and more punchy. Agartha has way more power 7w @8ohms so it can definitely drive planars.

When I think of how I would feel or other audiophiles would feel listening to the agartha vs the DecZ, it would be that the agartha is more likely to make you cry for sounding so emotional (can hit you right in the feels), but the DecZ (like folkvangr) is something to rock out to and feel more pumped (like an adrenaline rush).

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #263 of 2,724
The difference is like the agartha pulls you into the recording but the folkvangr and DecZ pull you more into the music if that makes sense.
Sounds like the m3 and the FV too.

Thanks, feels like not to many people would be so familiar with these 3 specifically ... I'm trying to reconcile and combine somehow.

Have you considered the Western Electric 300b? Pricey but you have the platform for it.

Yes, this is still the Mjolnir 3 thread. Still on the desktop (next to, actually) and enjoying the pc feed from Urd to m3. m3 is not fatiguing , I find myself reaching for it over Piety and FV right now.

It doesn't show off Hemp quite as well as 3000x, but the Grado synergy is real here. The improved driver in the x series really shines here.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #264 of 2,724
Was wondering how you like your Berkeley dac?
The berkley ref dac is the first dac I've heard that's originally priced above $10k. I have heard very few dacs and since I enjoyed the berkley alpha dac 2 I decided to try their reference series dac. Overall it is a jump in performance and is a little more laid back than the alpha dac. The berkley dacs are neutral and they do great job of making digital music sound more analog to my ears. They cannot play dsd, but since I don't listen to dsd, these dacs are better for my situation. The only downsides to the berkley ref is that it weighs a ton and has no usb out. You need to use a seperate converter box to access usb. I've never had a dac be this heavy, it's built like a tank. I'd really like to try an r2r dac someday and hear how they are different. Still gotta save up for one and it might end up being either a schitt yggdrasil or a mojo audio dac as they are both described to be forward, fun and harmonically rich sounding. Either of them would make a good compliment to my neutral reference sounding berkley dac.

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #265 of 2,724
gg alpha dac 2 I decided to try their reference series dac. Overall it is a jump in performance and is a little more laid back than the alpha dac. The berkley dacs are neutral and they do great job of making digital music sound more analog to my ears. They cannot play dsd, but since I don't listen to dsd, these dacs are better for my situation. The only downsides to the berkley ref is that it weighs a ton and has no usb out. You need to use a seperate converter box to access usb. I've never had a dac be this heavy, it's built like a tank. I'd really like to try an r2r dac someday and hear how they are different. Still gotta save up for one and it might end up being either a schitt yggdrasil or a mojo audio dac as they are both described to be forward, fun and harmonically rich sounding. Either of them would make a good compliment to my neutral reference sounding berkley dac.

Thanks for your informative response! I know this dac was very expensive back in the day (about $16,000 US circa 2014) and I believe an updated version is still being made for about $25,000. I read a review that compared it to a $145,000 US dac which the reviewer felt was a bit better. But given the price difference he was more than happy with the Berkeley Reference dac, and felt that it was clearly better than any dac he had heard with the exception of the $145k dac.

From the photo the Berkeley does look like a cost no object component, exuding quality. You may even find that it's sonically
superior to the Yggdrasil. There is someone on this forum (jonathan c) who owns a Mojo Audio Mystique Pro dac and speaks highly of it.
It's the earlier style which aesthetically, I personally prefer to Mojo's newer gear.

My favorite sounding dac is a 2008 Audio By Van Alstine Insight dac. Old technology. Nothing fancy. Just good engineering. It doesn't have a USB input either so I use a Schiit EITR as a USB to S/PDIF bridge for streaming and it works well.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #266 of 2,724
Two questions (using a Linn Akurate DS Katalyst balanced into Eta Mini C, single ended).

Anyone hear a difference in quality between high and low gain? I thought one or the other was a bit fuzzier. Switching back and forth I'm less convinced. I want to use low gain to have a bit more play/adjustability on the volume control.

Should I bother with balanced output to the Mini Cs? Can I? other benefits besides an objectively lower noise floor (according to Benchmark)?

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #267 of 2,724
My MJ3 finally arrived over the weekend. First early impressions versus my Jot2, the MJ3 is a bit more crystal clear and clean with some refinement. Will give it more time to burn in and relisten in more depth.

This thing is hot, my thermometer gun shows 142 degrees Fahrenheit at the heatsinks after 1.5 hours being on. It sits underneath my Freya N (with footers) which is another hot piece of Schiit. Together, they will be my winter space heater.

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #268 of 2,724
My MJ3 finally arrived over the weekend. First early impressions versus my Jot2, the MJ3 is a bit more crystal clear and clean with some refinement. Will give it more time to burn in and relisten in more depth.

This thing is hot, my thermometer gun shows 142 degrees Fahrenheit at the heatsinks after 1.5 hours being on. It sits underneath my Freya N (with footers) which is another hot piece of Schiit. Together, they will be my winter space heater.

For what it's worth, if you have the room I'd place these units side by side. They really need more top clearance given the tremendous heat they produce. I have an Asgard 2 that runs very hot and I never put any component on top of it. I would also never leave these components on when I'm not home. Glad you're enjoying the MJ3!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #269 of 2,724
For what it's worth, if you have the room I'd place these units side by side. They really need more top clearance given the tremendous heat they produce. I have an Asgard 2 that runs very hot and I never put any component on top of it. I would also never leave these components on when I'm not home. Glad you're enjoying the MJ3!
100% this!
The bottom (right side in particular) of the MJ3 also runs really hot. Something to consider if stacking the MJ3 on top of other components.
Heat/placement caveats aside, I'm really, really enjoying the MJ3 so far :)

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #270 of 2,724
Question to MJ3 owners, I noticed when I turn on the headamp, there is no relay click to let you know the amp is ready for operation which is unlike my Jot2, Freya N, and Vali2 which all do click after 14 to 45 seconds after being turned on. Just wanted to make sure my MJ3 is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back