Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #2,131 of 2,903
For reference purposes, I tried to get the clearest shot I could for anyone wondering which caps they are. (Marked C132 and C232 on the board)
IMG20240322103407.jpg
I don’t know much about capacitors but i can see that my MJ3 has a 10uf and and 47uf instead of two 47uf’s in those same spots, no clue what that means but my MJ3 is of the latest batch

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #2,132 of 2,903
hmm this made me check mine and i noticed this brown spot on top of one of the same caps on that same side 😫

IMG_9083.jpeg

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #2,133 of 2,903
If they did realize something was up with the old capacitors, and changed them in subsequent runs, I sure hope they replaced mine when it was just in for service for the gain switch. Will be a pain and another $40 dollars to ship it back to CA from NJ if the old caps fail.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,134 of 2,903
Yea also, both of the capacitors (well all 4 when you factor in left and right channels) are black on my unit (not blue). Again, don’t know that means in the capacitor world.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,135 of 2,903
They are bulging, meaning they are defective either through design problems or another reason and will only get worse, eventually leak, corrode and fail. I'd rather not let it get to the point of failure personally.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,136 of 2,903
If they did realize something was up with the old capacitors, and changed them in subsequent runs, I sure hope they replaced mine when it was just in for service for the gain switch. Will be a pain and another $40 dollars to ship it back to CA from NJ if the old caps fail.
yeah kind of annoying considering I had already sent this MJ3 back cause apparently the last repair said the bias pots had failed or were failing, causing static. So if I have to send this back a second time not really happy about that.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #2,137 of 2,903
yeah kind of annoying considering I had already sent this MJ3 back cause apparently the last repair said the bias pots had failed or were failing, causing static. So if I have to send this back a second time not really happy about that.
Yea i feel you man, this makes me really glad i purchased from schiit directly, because the 5 year warranty definitely means a lot more now. All in all im really enjoying the MJ3, it’s really perfect sounding to me. Hopefully everything gets sorted out with the design if it hasn’t already.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #2,138 of 2,903
Yea i feel you man, this makes me really glad i purchased from schiit directly, because the 5 year warranty definitely means a lot more now. All in all im really enjoying the MJ3, it’s really perfect sounding to me. Hopefully everything gets sorted out with the design if it hasn’t already.

Sounds like it was sorted out in a revision, your cap values are entirely different and the circuit has been modified.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #2,139 of 2,903
Yeah this is the same spot where the caps on mine failed. Schiit will likely swap them for something larger or change the circuit to compensate (and again, replace them). This isn't a batch of bad caps, it is very likely a design issue - probably corrected later on. I'd wager the earliest amps are impacted by this.
probably explains that timing gap in being able to fill orders.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #2,140 of 2,903
Ok, so those were replaced "just in case" or there was noticeable functioning problem with MJ3 ?
bro they are bulging and leaking...

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #2,141 of 2,903
Yea also, both of the capacitors (well all 4 when you factor in left and right channels) are black on my unit (not blue). Again, don’t know that means in the capacitor world.
What it means is they definitely changed the design. which is good, they are professionals over there.

they should definitely be covering shipping from that first batch.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #2,142 of 2,903
She’s a picky thing this MJ3 lol i started to notice some static noise in the left side of my Arya organics (16ohm) for the first time ever just now. I got worried and popped the hood off, and i don’t know if it was the hitting to get the shell off or she just wanted to breathe but i kid you not she’s running dead silent and completely open lol I’ll put the shell back on in a second but right now im just in awww lol isn’t she just gorgeous! Literally everything i want in an amp, so so natural sounding, my god! lol
IMG_3609.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #2,143 of 2,903
For anyone who’s on the fence about headphone cables, Stay away from apos flow cables, they are simply overpriced. People say cables make no difference but i assure you that periapt cables perform better. Ergonomically speaking the flow cable is nice. But if you want the best performance to price ratio then go with periapt. I haven’t heard other cables, but what i know for a fact is that apos is charging a lot more money than periapt is for a cable that performs worst sonically. Again, i assure you this. I can hear up to 18k. Trust me on this.
I have to disagree. My Periapt cable sounds veiled compared to the Appos Flow on HE1000v2 Stealth. YMMV I guess

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #2,144 of 2,903
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #2,145 of 2,903
I have to disagree. My Periapt cable sounds veiled compared to the Appos Flow on HE1000v2 Stealth. YMMV I guess
Well to be fair I’ve had the periapt for about 4 years now and it’s safe to say it’s broken in, I’ve been breaking in the flow cable for about 2 days now and it certainly has opened up to the point where I’m going to keep it as i am enjoying it, but to my ear the periapt does still sound better, it sounds like nothing is missing where as the flow cable just doesn’t sound quite as smooth and effortless. Just by a hair, but maybe things will change with time who knows. I will definitely update my statement if i start to enjoy the flow cable more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back