Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #256 of 592
Midgard is Impressive! It runs Susvara with dynamics unheard of at the 200 USD new price market! It can power Susvara at 100+ dB SPL at just a bit more than 3pm on the knob without losing steam! It's about 90-95% as dynamic sounding as the Schiit Mjolnir 3 for 1/5th the price. Halo works plenty well even with Susvara as it does extend the width and depth of the presentation though loses at vertical height reach compared to the MJ3 using the Susvara only.

Side note: it actually beat the Schiit Jotunheim 2 in slam and bass by quite a noticeable margin using the Susvara :) The circuit in the Jot doesn't play well with the Susvara it seems

1700357389454.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #257 of 592
Midgard is Impressive! It runs Susvara with dynamics unheard of at the 200 USD new price market! It can power Susvara at 100+ dB SPL at just a bit more than 3pm on the knob without losing steam! It's about 90-95% as dynamic sounding as the Schiit Mjolnir 3 for 1/5th the price.

Will-Ferrell-Holy-crap.gif

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #258 of 592

Suffice to say, I’ll be getting this amp without a doubt!

I haven’t tested it with other headphones from the Schiitr aside from the HD6XX but indeed it matches well with planars and dynamics alike! The HD6XX sounds really great with the Midgard Halo output!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #259 of 592
Midgard is Impressive! It runs Susvara with dynamics unheard of at the 200 USD new price market! It can power Susvara at 100+ dB SPL at just a bit more than 3pm on the knob without losing steam! It's about 90-95% as dynamic sounding as the Schiit Mjolnir 3 for 1/5th the price. Halo works plenty well even with Susvara as it does extend the width and depth of the presentation though loses at vertical height reach compared to the MJ3 using the Susvara only.

Side note: it actually beat the Schiit Jotunheim 2 in slam and bass by quite a noticeable margin using the Susvara :) The circuit in the Jot doesn't play well with the Susvara it seems

1700357389454.png
I was considering the MJ3 as my next upgrade, are you saying the Midgard is nearly as good in all respects to the MJ3, or just dynamics. I am running Audeze LCD-2C, thanks.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #260 of 592
I was considering the MJ3 as my next upgrade, are you saying the Midgard is nearly as good in all respects to the MJ3, or just dynamics. I am running Audeze LCD-2C, thanks.

Just dynamics with Susvara. MJ3 is still a more matured, nuanced amp. However, you won't really notice it unless you have both amps side by side. Midgard is a highly competent amp for its price IMHO. It doesn't have that "prickly sound" that other amps have at its price range including the Magni Piety, Magni+ and even the Asgard 3. It beats the Jotunheim 2 in bass articulation in my opinion.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #261 of 592
Just dynamics with Susvara. MJ3 is still a more matured, nuanced amp. However, you won't really notice it unless you have both amps side by side. Midgard is a highly competent amp for its price IMHO. It doesn't have that "prickly sound" that other amps have at its price range including the Magni Piety, Magni+ and even the Asgard 3. It beats the Jotunheim 2 in bass articulation in my opinion.
Thanks, I am going round a bit different than most folks. Upgrading my chain first, then will get TOTL headphones sometime next year. Wanting to push the LCD-2C to the max it can perform (using BF 2/64) with MJ3, and enjoy that for a bit longer; then move to a more detailed planar (Meze Elite or LCD-5) next year.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #262 of 592
Hey everyone, I wanted to drop my 2 cents (ok a bit more then that) into the discussion of the Midgard. I've been fortunate enough to spend ample (oh yes pun intended) with it recently. I just uploaded my video impression of this amp to my YouTube. I'll link that below for anyone who cares to watch.

A couple of things to share first:
This Halo technology has so much potential. I am very excited to see what else Schiit does with it! I know they've already called it Halo, but to me it's like a chameleon. It just morphs so well to a headphones capabilities (not all the time).

For instance: My Auteur Classic is a mid-forward/focused headphone. I own it because I adore the midrange of it. I was surprised to hear how this amp highlighted that aspect of the headphone. Not in a way that made it too forward, or too pronounced...but just...it handled it well. Call it grip, call it control or just call it what you want. That is what I heard. It did the same thing with my Arya Organic. Another headphone I adore and really dug the sound of it through the amp. It has 5W of power at 32ohm, but that isn't really the main thing here. It's just how it handles. I do use high gain quite a bit with this amp. I was worried at first that it may alter the sound just enough to dislike, but that is not true.

If you care to watch, you'll see I used other headphones with this as well. Typically it synced up very well. I also used this through my Bifrost 2/64. So the obvious case of synergy will come in to play.

I'm thrilled at the price point for this amp because it will challenge the game as we know it. It's not like they just threw a bunch of watts at it and bragged on power, nope. They did so much more.

I'm intrigued about hearing it paired with a Susvara. That's damn impressive on it's own!

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #263 of 592
Call it grip, call it control or just call it what you want. That is what I heard. It did the same thing with my Arya Organic.

This! Driver control with Susvara is just unmatched against its competitors at the same price and even stretching it to 2x its price. That's with the Modius E pairing and I also tried Gungnir Multibit A2 and it indeed give even more bass slam though it does kinda push the amp to the limits. Modius E has a more controlled bass but definitely less expressive than the Multibit DACs. That Halo is a chameleon indeed!

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #264 of 592
Hey everyone, I wanted to drop my 2 cents (ok a bit more then that) into the discussion of the Midgard. I've been fortunate enough to spend ample (oh yes pun intended) with it recently. I just uploaded my video impression of this amp to my YouTube. I'll link that below for anyone who cares to watch.

A couple of things to share first:
This Halo technology has so much potential. I am very excited to see what else Schiit does with it! I know they've already called it Halo, but to me it's like a chameleon. It just morphs so well to a headphones capabilities (not all the time).

For instance: My Auteur Classic is a mid-forward/focused headphone. I own it because I adore the midrange of it. I was surprised to hear how this amp highlighted that aspect of the headphone. Not in a way that made it too forward, or too pronounced...but just...it handled it well. Call it grip, call it control or just call it what you want. That is what I heard. It did the same thing with my Arya Organic. Another headphone I adore and really dug the sound of it through the amp. It has 5W of power at 32ohm, but that isn't really the main thing here. It's just how it handles. I do use high gain quite a bit with this amp. I was worried at first that it may alter the sound just enough to dislike, but that is not true.

If you care to watch, you'll see I used other headphones with this as well. Typically it synced up very well. I also used this through my Bifrost 2/64. So the obvious case of synergy will come in to play.

I'm thrilled at the price point for this amp because it will challenge the game as we know it. It's not like they just threw a bunch of watts at it and bragged on power, nope. They did so much more.

I'm intrigued about hearing it paired with a Susvara. That's damn impressive on it's own!

Excellent review. Thanks for the effort

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #266 of 592
As someone who owns both a Gungnir MB A2 and a Yggdrasil OG/A2, I would disagree that the Gungnir pushes it to it's limit. The Midgard absolutely scales with the Yggy, from my experience.

In the context of driving the Susvara but it's not apparent unless you have the Mjolnir 3 side by side. That's the only time I felt Midgard is being pushed to the limits with the GMB A2 at high volume while the Modius E has less bass physicality which I didn't feel Susvara's dynamics become less as I turn up the volume

Strictly speaking macrodynamics and not detail retrieval or resolution. Midgard will NOT hide any resolution from the DAC at all. All the info is there but is a level or two behind the Mjolnir 3 in terms of how refined the details are presented

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #267 of 592
In the context of driving the Susvara but it's not apparent unless you have the Mjolnir 3 side by side. That's the only time I felt Midgard is being pushed to the limits with the GMB A2 at high volume while the Modius E has less bass physicality which I didn't feel Susvara's dynamics become less as I turn up the volume

Strictly speaking macrodynamics and not detail retrieval or resolution. Midgard will NOT hide any resolution from the DAC at all. All the info is there but is a level or two behind the Mjolnir 3 in terms of how refined the details are presented
Interesting, I don't have a Mjolnir 3 and I haven't heard it, but I would expect it to be more effortless and nuanced. With the HD650, the Yggdrasil A2 is a much better match with Midgard, even though it is a bit too thick and sharp. Dynamics and bass slam increased quite a bit compared to the Gungnir A2.

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #268 of 592
Midgard ordered! Shipping in 1-3 days as of now :) It will replace the Piety at my workplace

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #269 of 592
So with Magni Unity announced, would be interesting to have a 3 way MJ3 / Midgard / Magni Unity showdown. :thumbsup:

EDIT: if someone can outline the sound signature difference too that would be great.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #270 of 592
In the context of driving the Susvara but it's not apparent unless you have the Mjolnir 3 side by side.

I'm surprised the Mjolnir 3 can drive the Sus. I heard the Mjolnir at a meetup. We actually hooked it up to my RME ADI-2 for the meetup. Didn't notice anything amazing from it it on the headphones I tried besides the lack of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back