Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #241 of 592
I got it used, so it's new to me. But certainly an earlier production run than the Midgard since the Midgard is so new.
Maybe it lost its colour due to age? Just a thought.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #242 of 592
I don't think so... On the Schiit product pages if you look closely you can see the color difference too. Not a huge deal, but just something I noticed with them in person.

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #243 of 592
Been using the Atticus and Midgard a lot this week, they pair wonderfully together. The more neutral tuning and clarity really open the Atticus up, adding some air to it's dark nature. This morning I even did a few hours of back and forth between the Midgard and LTA MZ2 for fun, and preferred the Midgard on a lot of metal tracks as it gave the guitars more presence vs the darker and more euphonic sounding MZ2. For acoustic music, folk, jazz, and blues, the MZ2 won out. But today I'm in a metal mood so I turned off the MZ2 and am enjoying the Midgard and an old school metal run of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Scorpions, Exmortus, Sigh, Sepultura (Max vocals albums only), Morbid Angel, Goatwhore, Kreater, etc. Such an impressive amp for the price. I want to bring my Gilmore Lite MK2 to work and do another comparison as that's one of my all time favorite solid state amps.

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #244 of 592
Here is what I'm talking about regarding the silk screening and powder coat for reference. Again I'm splitting hairs here, they are so so so close! But the color and sheen are definitely different even if every so slightly. That said, its an amazing combo and they sound incredible.

PXL_20231116_214326225.jpg

PXL_20231116_214339325.jpg

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #245 of 592
Been listening to Modius E and Midgaard with my OG Utopia great combo that is really clear and dynamic.

Very odd thing about the Midgaard is when you touch the volume pot you hear a ground hum in the driver, especially on high gain. Bit annoying, I might buy a wood aftermarket volume pot.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #246 of 592
Been listening to Modius E and Midgaard with my OG Utopia great combo that is really clear and dynamic.

Very odd thing about the Midgaard is when you touch the volume pot you hear a ground hum in the driver, especially on high gain. Bit annoying, I might buy a wood aftermarket volume pot.
This doesn't sound right. No hum even with iems

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #247 of 592
This doesn't sound right. No hum even with iems

Yup, you should contact Schiit about that. Doesn't happen with mine.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #248 of 592

Sounds like a ground loop. It probably originated in some other device in the chain. I had that happen to me and the origin of it was the PC - a small Intel NUC with grounded PS.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #249 of 592

@Jason Stoddard is Midgard potentiometer shaft grounded to chassis /signal ground? On some units there is increased hum/buzz when contacting the volume control knob. Perhaps on those units with set-screw knob vs non-conductive insert?

(Added) more noticeable on high-gain & higher volume settings

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #253 of 592
I thought running it with the balanced inputs eliminates ground loops. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back