Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #63 of 597
Time for the late Roy Hall (of Music Hall) quote “…relax, there’s never been a Hi-Fi emergency”.

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #66 of 597
No, it is not tubey. It is not an op-amp design like the Magnius, but is a simple discrete solid state design. If you want tubey, Schiit and others make headphone amps with a tube front-end and solid state power stage that might be more to your liking.
I haven't heard the Magnius yet but I did try FiiO K7 which had a THX AAA 788+ amp. And I thought it was so boring I turned it off after 2 songs lol. So linear amp is not for me.

And yes I already have Lyr 3 but there are times I wish I have a solid state amp where there is no delay start, also don't have to worry about wearing down tube life on stupid things like YouTube / Zoom calls.

So I'm still in the process of finding a tube sounding solid state amp. Magni Piety had too much power even at low gain.
What are you talking about? We are discussing the difference between the $199 Magnius and the $219 Midgard amps.
Lol he meant like instead of sending 5+ messages to reply to everyone you could've just send 1 message.

You could use the "+Quote" button to add multiple quotes. Then use the "insert quotes" to add them to your messages.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #67 of 597
I haven't heard the Magnius yet but I did try FiiO K7 which had a THX AAA 788+ amp. And I thought it was so boring I turned it off after 2 songs lol. So linear amp is not for me.

And yes I already have Lyr 3 but there are times I wish I have a solid state amp where there is no delay start, also don't have to worry about wearing down tube life on stupid things like YouTube / Zoom calls.

So I'm still in the process of finding a tube sounding solid state amp. Magni Piety had too much power even at low gain.

Lol he meant like instead of sending 5+ messages to reply to everyone you could've just send 1 message.

You could use the "+Quote" button to add multiple quotes. Then use the "insert quotes" to add them to your messages.
Too much power? Is there such a thing? The Piety isn’t even particularly powerful by modern amp standards. Of course maybe the volume knob doesn’t have the right range, sort of like the McIntosh tube headphone amp.

The Mjolnir IIiI seems to be getting a lot of love in single ended mode from those who like a tubier sound.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #68 of 597
Of course maybe the volume knob doesn’t have the right range
I think Jason mentioned it in the Schiit Happened thread. I think Piety's volume pot had different scaling than the new Magni+.

In Magni+ they adjusted so it start rather low so it's more iem friendly. So Piety's volume pot even at low gain starts quite high.

Basically I need Magni+'s volume pot in Piety LOL.
The Mjolnir IIiI seems to be getting a lot of love in single ended mode from those who like a tubier sound.
Oh yeah I see a lot of people going from Lyr 3 or MJ2 upgrading to MJ3.

I currently do not have enough desk space nor the budget yet.

But I'll keep this in mind as long term goal lol.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #69 of 597
Everyone will claim the Midgard is better than the Magnius, because the later is an op-amp design. I personally have the Magnius and think it is the best headphone amp I hae heard, but I want the truth, because I can handle the truth, and don't want my amp to sugar coat stuff.

Jason originally didn't even want to release the Magnius, but his staff over-ruled him after listening to it. Jason doesn't listen to stuff as much as he fantasizes how it should sound based on the design, rather than based on actually double blind listening tests. However, I expect the Midgard to sound just fine, but I will keep my Magnius.
Inaccurate and mischaracterization. The full story is up in each chapter--Magnius and Midgard both.

Magnius--we tried two designs, both op-amp based. I liked one. Staff liked another. I was outvoted. There was never any intention of not releasing it. The only question was which form.

The Midgard--yes, I forgot we did Magnius. This can be a good thing: it's a reliable, trouble-free product. And it did help break the back of the "schiit can't make measurements" thing that was going around at the time.

But yes, I will lean towards discrete. A more linear stage without the need for tons of feedback to get good measurements, based on our own tech that can be improved, rather than me-too waiting for the latest new op-amp from TI or AD...that always wins for me. But that's me. And that's leaving aside the opportunity to introduce Halo.

If you're in the area, come to my Measurements presentation at the Dallas CanJam. It's very illuminating in all contexts...from us being measurements-driven (starting 30 years ago, before Schiit even existed) to the problems inherent in the "one number to rule them," to what we can do about it to get some balance. I'll put the PDF up here on my thread, I'm sure, afterwards as well.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #70 of 597

I didn't think it's that big of a deal to respond separately, and I would hardly call it spam mail. I actually would think it is rude to respond to multiple people in the same message.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #72 of 597
Sorry if any of any of my comments were wrong. They were based on my recollection of a video you did explaining it. I don't recall you saying that there were two versions of Magnius in the video, I just recalled you saying you got out-voted on the one that was released (which is apparently accurate). As I said in my comments, I own a Magnius and think it sounds great, far better than the Singxer SA-1 that I originally bought and sold right away at a $200 loss because it sounded so bad (I could not return it). Just to be clear (no pun intended), I don't like the Magnius because it measures well, I like it because it sounds very transparent and accurate.

There's nothing technically wrong with Magnius, and I'm happy you like it. I even say this straight out in my Midgard chapter:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8540#post-17770909

However, discrete, high linearity, current feedback, low-loop-gain designs are what we are about. Plus Halo. So, it's Midgard time.

My previous headphone amp for about 23 years was a Creek OBH-11 SE, a true Class A discrete design. When I say discrete, I am mean there were no IC's of any kind, only individual diodes, resistors, capacitors, and transistors. Unfortunately, it died about a year ago.

When I say discrete, I mean the same thing. I wrote a chapter on it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7997#post-17603364

If you're puzzled by some of the parts used in Midgard, there are a number of dual matched power transistors that look like ICs. These kinds of parts are called out in the discrete chapter.

Fun fact: 30 years ago, the only way to get to "the best measuring DAC" was a discrete current-input stage. If you're super bored, look up the Stereophile review of the Theta Gen V DAC. Why do I mention this? Because I designed that stage.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #73 of 597
There's nothing technically wrong with Magnius, and I'm happy you like it. I even say this straight out in my Midgard chapter:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8540#post-17770909

However, discrete, high linearity, current feedback, low-loop-gain designs are what we are about. Plus Halo. So, it's Midgard time.

When I say discrete, I mean the same thing. I wrote a chapter on it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7997#post-17603364

If you're puzzled by some of the parts used in Midgard, there are a number of dual matched power transistors that look like ICs. These kinds of parts are called out in the discrete chapter.

Fun fact: 30 years ago, the only way to get to "the best measuring DAC" was a discrete current-input stage. If you're super bored, look up the Stereophile review of the Theta Gen V DAC. Why do I mention this? Because I designed that stage.

Is current-feedback the same thing that Questyle does with their current-mode amps?

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #75 of 597
So I'm still in the process of finding a tube sounding solid state amp.
Asgard 2:
Class A, single-ended MOSFET with zero negative feedback. As tubey as Solid State gets. I preferred it to a Bottlehead Crack with my DT 1990 headphones.

Measurements are solid, not class leading, but beguiling sound and enough power for 99.9% of headphones. Doubles as a preamp and mutes the output when the headphone jack is used, which I love because I don't like to turn off my power amps.

I would like to hear a Midgard though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back