Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 592
… with nothing in between … 🤔🤣👍

Correct! Those are the only requirements! ...Although a picture of a cat wouldn't be remiss.*

*bonus points of it's a tuxedo cat

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #17 of 592
Having owning a Magnius for almost a year, I'm interested in the Midgard, but I'm going to acquire a Modius first (or perhaps a Modius 2?). It's always great that the Schiit headphone amps keep increasing the output power per channel in new lower end models, because there's nothing wrong with more headroom for planars.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 592
I'm curious which direction this amp is going.

For example it says it measure really well, so is it meant to sound like Magni Heretic? So if I want something more in the tubey direction like Magni Piety, should I skip this?

Then there's the Halo thing which I actually have no clue what it does yet, I guess I'll wait for more impressions lol.

Hopefully someone can do an Asgard vs Midgard comparison.
Based on the measurements, the Midgard will have no coloration. That makes sense, because it's replacing the Magnius, which was made to measure well, not to sound warm or laid back.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #19 of 592
But I remember reading about @XERO1 saying he really didn't like the Magnius but thought Midgard sounded really good.

If they measure the same shouldn't they sound the same?

Kind of why I want to wait for more listening review first before making any judgement lol.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 592
This is the biggest, most prevalent misconception in audio, period !!

(…where to start…🫤)

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 592

(…where to start…🫤)

It's a delightfully fun can of worms to open, isn't it?

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 592
It's a delightfully fun can of worms to open, isn't it?
… it’s also a delightfully fun ‘can’ of sound to put on 😄🤪😀

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 592
But I remember reading about @XERO1 saying he really didn't like the Magnus but thought Midgard sounded really good.

Absolutely! Single figure of merit measurements never deceive the keen audio mind. :wink:

The Meze 99 classic and Senn HD600 both measure in at 260 grams. And we all know they sound exactly the same. :fearful: :sweat_smile:

(…where to start…🫤)
Don't get me started! :ksc75smile:

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 592

Ah yes, and it gets brought up with far too much.... frequency.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #25 of 592
The ASR dictum: ‘If they measure the same, they will sound the same!” [Recited ad nauseum without listening …]

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #26 of 592

(…where to start…🫤)
lol don't worry I always go by my own ears.

Even the exact same chain same device I've heard different results than my friends. I think it's a bit of different ear shape + hearing capability + personal preference.

Like there's more than enough times that I've been disappointed by the raved reviews lol.
The Meze 99 classic and Senn HD600 both measure in at 260 grams. And we all know they sound exactly the same. :fearful: :sweat_smile:
LOL I always bring up this analogy in reddit.

Honda Civic Type R has less than 1 second of a difference compare to the Porsche GT3 at the Nürburgring track in Germany.

Therefore Honda Civic and Porsche GT3 are the same car. :joy:
The ASR dictum: ‘If they measure the same, they will sound the same!” [Recited ad nauseum without listening …]
LOL at this rate ASR can employ ChatGPT to help write their future reviews. Just feed ChatGPT the "stats".
Ah yes, and it gets brought up with far too much.... frequency.
Oh a side note, I can't think of any audio puns at the moment....... my brain draw blank.......

I tried.......

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 592

(…where to start…🫤)

Please don't.....:sweat_smile:

It's one of life's strange ironies that it's virtually impossible to convince a cult member that they're actually in a cult.

Which is why I always try to steer clear of that topic here on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 592
(…where to start…🫤)
It was summer of 1983, John had a little bit too much to drink at the Venice Beach.....

Barbara asked "are you feeling alright my dear?".....

John replied "did you know that despite 2 audiotronic devices measuring the same, they might not sound the same?"

Barbara said "...... Please my dear....would you just come over here and eat your hotdog and stop thinking about those crazy things?"

It was that day, a star was born......

Please don't.....:sweat_smile:
LOL ok I don't know where I was going with this but I'll stop.

Oct 15, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 592
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-midgard-balanced-headphone-amp-review.48653/

I'm usually not a big fan of Amir, mainly because he's the Great Leader of the "Measurements Uber Alles" camp, but his measurements are legit and they can show you where a product does well and were it doesn't, at least as far as its measurements go.

But what's truly impressive to me is that the Midgard measured even better than his favorite Drop x THX AAA 789 'Measurement Champ Amp' in certain tests!

And the fact that Jason achieved this result without using any op-amps in its circuit design is pretty impressive!

Even though I only briefly heard it at CanJam SoCal, I feel pretty confident in saying that I think it's SQ is a significant step above all the other op-amp based amps that are anywhere near it's price range. :k701smile:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #30 of 592
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-midgard-balanced-headphone-amp-review.48653/

I'm usually not a big fan of Amir, mainly because he's the Great Leader of the "Measurements Uber Alles" camp, but his measurements are legit and they can show where a product does well and were it doesn't, at least as far as its measurements go.

But what's truly impressive to me is that the Midgard measured even better than his favorite Drop x THX AAA 789 'Measurements Champ Amp' in certain tests!

And the fact the Jason achieved this result without using any op-amps in its circuit design is pretty impressive!

Even though I only briefly heard it at CanJam SoCal, I feel pretty confident in saying that I think it's SQ is a significant step above all the other op-amp based amps that are anywhere near it's price range. :k701smile:

That's truly impressive. I think Jason started chasing measurements just to shut this crowd up, so they'd realize that yes, Schiit makes good products. But I also think the company could have ignored this segment of the market and been just fine, and in a way, that this was a fool's errand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back