Schiit Mani
Mar 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #106 of 144
Hi, TAsme, thanks for that. To seriously improve my system I feel that I'm going to have to set my budgetary sights higher, around £500 or more, possibly a Rega Aria? Think I'll wait until to see what happens when the next RP6 (Planar 6?) breaks cover, keeping the 640P. I have to say that I'm very happy with my present set up, quite detailed - but it makes me wonder just how much better things can get?

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #107 of 144
I personally did start with a rega rp1 wirh a denon dl110 into a simple marantz pm5005, so really a basic and cheap system.

My current system is:
Rega rp8 with apheta2 into rega aria into schiit lyr2 with expensive nos tubes

So badically i did change from a $ 600 to a $ 6000 setup. Believe me or not but if i knew how small the difference is i would not have done it.

If you ask me what you should exchange? Start with your headphones, thats the part that matter the most.

Ps: i did also try: pro-ject rpm 9.2 and an expensive thorens as comparison, same picture

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #108 of 144
I ordered my Mani this morning, and got shipping verification within one hour. I live in So Cal, so it will be here sometime tomorrow.

I'll be using it with a Pioneer PL-516 that has been sitting unused, in a stereo cabinet, for about 25 years.
cool.gif

The "system" will be the Pioneer into the Mani, then onto a Schiit SYS, feeding a PrimaLuna 36wpc tube amplifier ( also arriving tomorrow), driving a pair of KEF LS50 speakers.

I'll be spinning 50 year old vinyl for the first time in about thirty years.
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #109 of 144
Given you're getting an fancy amp (used or new, any Primaluna will be pricey), I'm curious why you didn't go for an integrated amp, or a Saga instead of the Sys.  I ask because the Sys should only drive short cables, and the Saga has remote control plus other goodies and doesn't cost much.  Thanks.  And wow, enjoy your vinyl again!!

Quote:
  I ordered my Mani this morning, and got shipping verification within one hour. I live in So Cal, so it will be here sometime tomorrow.

I'll be using it with a Pioneer PL-516 that has been sitting unused, in a stereo cabinet, for about 25 years.
cool.gif

The "system" will be the Pioneer into the Mani, then onto a Schiit SYS, feeding a PrimaLuna 36wpc tube amplifier ( also arriving tomorrow), driving a pair of KEF LS50 speakers.

I'll be spinning 50 year old vinyl for the first time in about thirty years.
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #110 of 144
It's only a temporary situation until my Freya arrives. Hence the "system" description.
wink_face.gif

Of course, I could, and may, on occasion, use my Valhalla 2 as a preamp to the PrimaLuna.

I have plans to have both the PrimaLuna amp, and a Schiit Vidar, or two.

Lots of options available to me.

May 16, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #111 of 144
Folks... I have system with a Thorens TD 160 Super Mk II with an SME 3009 S II and Shure V15 V, going through an Audiolab 8000A amp and I find the phono stage a bit meh. Would the Mani work wonders for my moving magnet cartridge, or should I think of trying something else.... and, if so, are there any suggestions. Searching the net has not really helped me on this.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #112 of 144
Folks... I have system with a Thorens TD 160 Super Mk II with an SME 3009 S II and Shure V15 V, going through an Audiolab 8000A amp and I find the phono stage a bit meh. Would the Mani work wonders for my moving magnet cartridge, or should I think of trying something else.... and, if so, are there any suggestions. Searching the net has not really helped me on this.

Hi,
Give the Mani a go it is a great Phono Stage and punches way above it's weight, you won't be sorry.
Enjoy :)

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #113 of 144
Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a new turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC) and as I already own a Schiit Vali 2 I was thinking getting a Mani as preamp was a good idea. What do you think? It would be Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC > Schiit Mani > Schiit Vali 2 > Sennheiser HD 600. Thank you for the help!

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #114 of 144
Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a new turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC) and as I already own a Schiit Vali 2 I was thinking getting a Mani as preamp was a good idea. What do you think? It would be Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC > Schiit Mani > Schiit Vali 2 > Sennheiser HD 600. Thank you for the help!

Go for it. The Mani is a great sounding phono pre-amp, and is good enough to stand several upgrades to turntable, cartridge or amplifier.

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #115 of 144
Hi there.
This is my current setup: Teac TN-300 (Audio-Technica AT-95 cartridge) -> Schiit Mani -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> HD600.

0522_B786_2703_4_DE9_A626_ACC4_FFDA54_EA.jpg

I like it but cannot compare it with something else.
Since the setup will never be final I am thinking about TT upgrade. Specifically I have Clearaudio Concept MC in mind. If somebody has experience with clearaudio and mani, please share it.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #117 of 144
For loading of MC carts, you need to know the input resistance of the preamp and you need to know the output impedance of your cartridge, or at least the DCR of its coils.

Generally speaking, you want the input resistance of your preamp to be about 10X the output impedance of your cartridge.

So, what do you think if I plan to purchase Clearaudio Concept MC which has 11 ohm cartridge impedance. Would it be OK with Mani's 47 ohm input resistance or adding a 100 ohm parallel load would make a significant improvement?

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #118 of 144
No, don't decrease Rin with a parallel resistor, it's already as low as it should be at 100 Ohms. You could add series resistance easily enough on the outside, but that would greatly increase your chance of hum. The Mani isn't easy to mod with its surface-mounted parts. The brand new, inexpensive Pro-Jects have nice load options, some on the front, so there's an option.

If you want a really flexible and affordable unit, find a kit using though-hole parts. Or get a ifi iPhono 2: many loading choices, great PS, and awesome performance according to blind tests and Fremer at Analog Corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back