Schiit Mani - available today for throwback vinyl twiddlers
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Baldr

Sponsor: Schiit Audio
On the surface this seems like yet another Phono Preamp.  For all you OCD objectivists out there, it has really good specs, but the real deal is that you will not be disappointed even if you use a cartridge that sells for 2-10x the price of the Mani, at US$129.  The Mani pairs sublimely with any of my carts, and I have a collection of at least 25, from 54 years old to brand spanking new, variable reluctance, moving magnet, and moving coil.  Those who have been ruined by Decca cartridges or even the Nuemann DST will be delighted to know that the Mani is designed to not be overloaded and will not let even those carts down.  So please have fun with it!  You have to spend stupid amounts of money to better it, money much better spent on your cart.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 9
Oh-my , what Hero people you Schiit folks are !
I can feel the Sigh of Relief rising from the Vast Schiit Congregation , finally , they can access all those Boxes and Boxes of Garage Sale Albums for $1 ea.  , a Roy Hall Turntable Investment is justifable at last  , the newbies can join the Seasoned Audiophiles who own thousands of Vinyl Albums .  
  You've even given the Vinyl Guru Class ( the Art Dudleys ) affermation , they can ( and probably will in Print )  point to the revered  Dr. Digital ( Professor M.Moffat ) as one joining the Resurgence Movement . 
  I think you Schiit Lads are doing the "Right" thing by throwing the frustrated Analog Psychotics a tasty little Bone .  Price seems quite right ,  $129 isn't gonna break em too bad , it's much better than having to search ebay for a multi-thousand dollar Audio Research piece ( that probably needs tube up-grading ) , so you give em a way , a nice way , you even put some light on their path to keep em from stumbling .
  Earlier this year Sir Jason said that "Surprises" were coming , I'm surprised , he was right !

Tony in Michigan

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 9
It took me a while to find Mani in Schiit's website. It is buried in Accessories section. It would be better if you guys make another catalog called "Phonos" and put Mani there instead of putting it into crowded Accessories section.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
What I find most odd is that Schiit don't seem to make a preamp with more than one analog input (unless it's the integrated Rag).  So unless you have a dedicated turntable system, I guess you will require a non-Schiit preamp in order to integrate the Mani into an existing setup? 

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 9
  On the surface this seems like yet another Phono Preamp.  For all you OCD objectivists out there, it has really good specs, but the real deal is that you will not be disappointed even if you use a cartridge that sells for 2-10x the price of the Mani, at US$129.  The Mani pairs sublimely with any of my carts, and I have a collection of at least 25, from 54 years old to brand spanking new, variable reluctance, moving magnet, and moving coil.  Those who have been ruined by Decca cartridges or even the Nuemann DST will be delighted to know that the Mani is designed to not be overloaded and will not let even those carts down.  So please have fun with it!  You have to spend stupid amounts of money to better it, money much better spent on your cart.

What would you compare it to? Im considering getting one as I need a reasonable priced phono stage. so other I was looking at before this came out:
TCC TC-750

ART DJPre II

Couple more that are a little more expensive:

Cambridge 551p 

NAD PP2/3

Bugle2

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 9
You have to spend stupid amounts of money to better it, money much better spent on your cart.

Not really.....a Vista Audio Phono I Mk II at just a bit more than twice the price of the Mani is an excellent alternative.

It's a really awesome piece of gear with my Denon MC carts.

Boris hasn't updated the website but it includes resistors in the 100 - 1000 ohm range.

http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/index.htm

http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/settings.htm

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 9
  On the surface this seems like yet another Phono Preamp.  For all you OCD objectivists out there, it has really good specs, but the real deal is that you will not be disappointed even if you use a cartridge that sells for 2-10x the price of the Mani, at US$129.  The Mani pairs sublimely with any of my carts, and I have a collection of at least 25, from 54 years old to brand spanking new, variable reluctance, moving magnet, and moving coil.  Those who have been ruined by Decca cartridges or even the Neumann DST will be delighted to know that the Mani is designed to not be overloaded and will not let even those carts down.  So please have fun with it!  You have to spend stupid amounts of money to better it, money much better spent on your cart.

A little post digging....
Now we're talking! good on you Mike. I may purchase one if I decide to setup a second turntable (I love my current battery-based phono pre designed by David Lee, but no longer made).
It's good to hear you're a vinyl man and not afraid to say it.

And you know I've been giving you a hard time but you're your own man and I appreciate that. You gotta do what you love to do and do it well, in your own time, and ignore the gadflies
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back