Schiit Magnius: Can both balanced & single-ended cans be used at the same time?
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys;
I've got a hypothetical question. It's hypothetical to me because I've never tried it, but I'm almost certain that someone has.
Would it be possible for the Schiit Magnius to drive both balanced and unbalanced loads simultaneously without damage?

I own a pair of Senn HD600's (300 ohms) which I have hacked the cable for balanced use with 4-pin XLR.
The other pair is HiFiMAN Deva Pro (18 ohms) which came with a se cable.

Sometimes while listening to music from my Windows PC through the Schiit Modius/Magnius stack and either pair of cans, I'll get the desire to swap out the cans to compare the two for various types and genres of music.
So I unplug one pair and plug in the other pair from the Magnius.
But what if it didn't matter if I unplugged one while I listened to the other.
There is nothing whatsoever in the user manual or any of the faq on Schiit website, so I assume this isn't really an issue for them.
I would try it myself, at a very low volume level, but I fear even doing that might cause damage and void my warranty.
So I'm asking here before I try anything that I will regret immediately.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 5
I know I'm not going to be very helpful with this post but, I'd run it by Schiit themselves. They're pretty good with emailing back, I've had good experiences with them. Can't hurt to ask, I reckon.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 5
You can use both. From the FAQ in mini-manual included:

"Can I use both headphone outputs at the same time?"

"Yes, you can, but be careful - if one pair of headphones is very sensitive, and the other is not, you may damage the sensitive pair if you turn it up too loudly while listening to the other pair"

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks! I received a reply from Schiit as well, but they didn't mention the sensitivity issue. I'll be very careful. I'm not sure how the Deva Pro compare to the HD600 so far as sensitivity is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back