Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #77 of 82
I'm starting to like electrostatics more. I tried a different Ohm setting from the iESL. The good thing is that I can control tonality with it. Every setting sounds so different. 24 Ohm was best for dynamic and electrostatic headphones. Very good clarity without being too harsh. 16 ohm was too harsh at treble and too low ohm was just too mellow. I use 4 ohm speaker taps :) Need to be very cautious when using ultralinear mode and it is rated 45W.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #78 of 82
Every setting sounds so different. 24 Ohm was best for dynamic and electrostatic headphones.
For my amp 31 ohm output sound the most balanced. So I'd imagine both 24 or 31 are within the ballpark. (Since my amp can only do 0.1 or 31 or 68)

Yeah more companies should do adjustable output impedance. To my surprise it worked pretty well.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #80 of 82
Looks like some :poop: is coming to town in a few days.

1714318552459.png

The Heretic was not really a goal... Screw this... The last of its kind anyway... 🤷‍♂️

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #81 of 82
Looks like some :poop: is coming to town in a few days.

1714318552459.png

The Heretic was not really a goal... Screw this... The last of its kind anyway... 🤷‍♂️
That was my thought, too, and I prefer it to the Vali 2 (debating trying a JAN 5670W to see if it can win) and the Magni 3+. Greater detail. Greater control. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. I think a lot depends on your hearing. I can't hear to 20kHz, so the "digititus" some report with the Heretic's highs doesn't reach me. :wink: YMMV.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #82 of 82
Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
My expectations are very low for the Heretic. And that's good, actually. :L3000:

Let me quote myself and the reasoning will be clear:
My little Magni 3+ at the office is now 4 years old and has recently developed some weird behavior: big popping at the left channel when plugging anything into the jack, and channel imbalance (-3dB in L). My work-around has been an attenuator -- also for the obvious reason of more granularity in the volume pot -- and somehow that voltage divider addresses the channel imbalance, but I fear that I should retire the little fella ASAP before it decides to play Kamikaze with one of my transducers.
Here's my setup at the office, by the way:
1713112204806.png

Magni 3+ / Modi 3 stack with the dust cover (a.k.a. paper towel)

After prospecting the Asgard and the Piety, the decision on the Unity was purely made on the "latest is always better rule". Joke aside, the form factor and the 3-year warranty checked big boxes for me as well.

As far as the Heretic goes, it will be stacked with the old Modi 3. I can then keep rotating this gear from time to time. The old Magni 3+ will likely be retired.

I look forward to receiving these 2 little amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back