Schiit Magni to Behringer HA400 (double amping)?
Jul 4, 2017 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jimmi232

New Head-Fier
**Forgive me if this is a dumb question**

I have a behringer HA400, I've run my Schiit Magni into it to provide multiple outs, albeit with some quality loss. Before I start using this set up regularly (for testing headphones and for listening with friends), I want to make sure nothing's going to explode or break. Both amps appear to have essentially the same input impedance (Behringer ~75 and Schiit 80 Ohms).

I've read a bunch of stuff on here about double amping and it runs the spectrum from the worst thing imaginable to totally fine and even beneficial in some cases. The concern appears to be primarily mismatched impedances, but perhaps I'm not understanding something. This seems like a low risk situation given the low power of both amps involved.

Is this setup ok or a terrible idea?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 4
I doubt it would break anything at moderate listening levels but I would think the sound quality would probably take a hit. I'm not sure what you mean by testing headphones but I don't think this would be the optimal setup for that. The behringer is not really used for music listening it is mostly used for recording purposes so the musicians can monitor what is being recorded .

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response. I just want to A/B headphones so I can get a sense of their differences; the HA400 is good enough for most differences to come through unless they're VERY similar cans. Ideally, I'd also like something that I can use to listen with friends, but the Behringer softens up the sound enough that it's not great for that purpose.

It's definitely not ideal, really just a stop-gap until I can figure out a better system. Any suggestions on how to get multiple channels with independent volume control without sacrificing quality? I can't really even find anything other than the HA400.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back