Schiit Magni Question
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gravit8

Head-Fier
TL;DR Popping noise when plugging/unplugging headphones into Magni normal?

So when I plug my headphones into my Schiit Magni, it makes this pretty loud popping noise in both ears.  It's a bit louder than if I just turned the unit on with the headphones still plugged in. My question is, is this normal? My previous amps never did this, and I've never experienced it anywhere but with this amp.  I'm planning on getting some pretty low impedance cans, and I wouldn't want plugging/unplugging to damage them.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply! I just messaged Schiit about it.  Do you have a modi into your magni? Or is it a different DAC or no DAC at all? Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 10
No i just use my magni with my ipad/iphone when I want to listen to my full size cans (q701s or k550).  I've run a xonar dg output through it a few times but found that my ipad mini sounded better so I've just stuck with that.

I usually just use iems out of my iphone heh... convenience and mobility beats utmost sound quality most days for me

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I think it's normal. Magni gives loud pops to my beyerdynamic dt660 (32ohm) too. Not so much to my other phones dt880 600ohm. I guess the lower the impedance, the louder the noise. Just turn on the amp without the headphones plugged in.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the replies!  The magni seems to be doing this whether or not the rca cables are even connected. @redrising98 The popping noise is actually from the physical act of plugging the headphones in, not turning it on.  It's much louder than the pop from turning it on or off. Do you get this noise too when plugging in headphones?

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Ah I see.  I just messed with pluggin/unplugging headphones in and out on it and yeah there is usually a soft click (louder on lower impedance cans/iems) whenever I plug them in.  But the pop is actually quieter than the 'on' pop on my unit at least.  I think if the amp works fine otherwise (not messing with the sound while the headphones are plugged in) I wouldn't worry too much.  Mine makes static-y noises whenever I turn the knob on super sensitive iems but otherwise are pretty much silent when not messing with the unit itself.

May 24, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Hey, so I sent the amp into Schiit, and yes it did have a problem.  In the return box it came with a note saying that they "Replaced bad transistor".  So if anyone else has a similar problem, you'll have to ship it out to get repaired.

May 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Probably caused by the lower impedance headphones not absorbing the whole current at plugin like an earlier commenter stated. These are designed to put 1000W into 32 Ω, so the problem may be your headphones and not the amp.

May 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 10
  Probably caused by the lower impedance headphones not absorbing the whole current at plugin like an earlier commenter stated. These are designed to put 1000W into 32 Ω, so the problem may be your headphones and not the amp.

Well, it wasn't specific to any set of cans, it did it to all of them, but the problem is definitely fixed since getting it back from Schiit. There is a VERY small noise now, but nothing like what it used to be (so loud thought it might damage the cans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back