Schiit magni/modi 2 vs schiit magni/creative Soundblaster z
Nov 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Luchios

New Head-Fier
I had a question if anyone could help. I play games and listen to music. Alot of electronic to rock. I have ultrasonic pro 900s and a schiit magni amp. I just recently purchased a creative Soundblaster z after my Asus xonar dg failed. I also have 5.1 Logitech speakers which aren't really important. I wanted some advise on whether I should return the sound card and grab a schiit modi to complete the stack for my head phones and use my on board sound for my 5.1 speakers or keep my creative sound card. Also will a schiit magni 1 have any issues with the schiit modi 2? Please get back to me, it's been only 1 day since I've purchased the card and wouldn't mind ditching it.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 15
Make the move, get the Schiit stack. I got into this starting with that card, returned it and don't miss it at all. Modi 2 will work fine with Magni 1.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-Z?

My two cents.
Connect the SB-Z's Front Speaker jack to the RCA inputs on the Magni, plug the headphones into the Magni for music and movies.
Plug the headphones into the SB-Z's headphone output for FPS gaming.

Sell off the Logitech speakers.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Maybe I wasn't clear, it's not that i'm having issues with the SBZ. I just want the best sound for the headphones I have. I hear the sound card don't really do all that much vs onboard. So I figured returned the $80 card and grab a Modi to go with my magni amp. (I did disable onboard sound BTW)

Thoughts?

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Thoughts already given, do it you won't regret it.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 15
  Maybe I wasn't clear, it's not that i'm having issues with the SB-Z. I just want the best sound for the headphones I have. I hear the sound card don't really do all that much vs on-board. So I figured returned the $80 card and grab a Modi to go with my Magni amp. (I did disable on-board sound BTW)

Thoughts?

The SB-Z comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip, can't see the Modi DAC being that much noticeably better.
The CS4398 DAC chip is what you find on $300 motherboards.
So I guess i can agree that a sound card (SB-Z) is not much better audio quality wise, then a $300 motherboard's on-board audio.

Now if you return the $80 SB-Z card and then buy a $100 (+tax/shipping) USB Modi DAC, that not much more for a nice external DAC.
But going with USB means losing any headphone surround sound feature the SB-Z offered.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 15
Well I purchased it, but I dont know how much a big a deal that is. I was using onboard audio for a little, Does that have the surround sound feature? Cause if I lose the ability, i honestly havent had the sbz long enough to know a difference? Honestly still new to this sound stuff. If you are talking about the dolby digital surround sound for headset.. I havent even turned it on lol.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 15
  Well I purchased it, but I don't know how much a big a deal that is. I was using on-board audio for a little, Does that have the surround sound feature? Cause if I lose the ability, i honestly haven't had the sb-z long enough to know a difference? Honestly still new to this sound stuff. If you are talking about the Dolby Digital surround sound for headset.. I haven't even turned it on lol.

What you describe products using the works "it" and "that", it makes it a little difficult to understand which item your talking about, please try to use more pronouns.
By it and that, are you talking about the SB-Z?

The SB-Z, Modi and Magni do not come with any Dolby Digital surround sound.
The SB-Z does come with DDL (Dolby Digital Live), for encoding up to 6-channels of audio, for sending thru the SB-Z's optical output port.
Assuming the SB-Z might just call that function simple "Dolby"

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 15

What you describe products using the works "it" and "that", it makes it a little difficult to understand which item your talking about, please try to use more pronouns.
By it and that, are you talking about the SB-Z?

The SB-Z, Modi and Magni do not come with any Dolby Digital surround sound.
The SB-Z does come with DDL (Dolby Digital Live), for encoding up to 6-channels of audio, for sending thru the SB-Z's optical output port.
Assuming the SB-Z might just call that function simple "Dolby"

Yeah it does. I mean I purchased the Modi, but obviously could cancel it. I'm not entirely sure I mind losing surround sound capability. I mean if it's a bad buy let me know, but if you think i'd be getting my moneys worth by completing the magni/modi stack then let me know.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 15
  Yeah it does. I mean I purchased the Modi, but obviously could cancel it. I'm not entirely sure I mind losing surround sound capability. I mean if it's a bad buy let me know, but if you think i'd be getting my moneys worth by completing the magni/modi stack then let me know.

Might as well try the Modi.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 15
Maybe because it's part of the computer case but when I went to the external dac things got a LOT quieter and less noisy. It was a vast improvement. Again, I had that exact same card. I miss it none. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Maybe because it's part of the computer case but when I went to the external dac things got a LOT quieter and less noisy. It was a vast improvement. Again, I had that exact same card. I miss it none. 

Thanks, i appreciate your input. Im definitely going through with it. Do you miss the surround sound that the sbz card produced?

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm sorry I didn't have 5.1 speakers

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 15
hi, i have sb-z and im planing to buy the magni to drive my dt 770 pro 250 ohm
i want to know if i can plug the magni to sb-z, and how i plug it.
and should i need to buy an external dac like the modi ?
sorry for my bad english^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back