Schiit Magni 3 VS Asgard 2
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nofacemonster

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Asgard 2 for more than a year with my HD6XX and I absolutely adore it. I could listen to it for hours and no fatigue at all. About a week back i took to my friend who is a speaker user (not a headphone user) and let him hear it on his Tannoy 15 Inch gold monitors hooked to a vintage Sansui DB9090 receiver as the preamp. He went crazy over how it sounds and wanted one. Schiit stuff is scarce here and very difficult to find because we're far from its homeland and importing costs a lot as well. So after searching around I came across Magni 3 up for sale by a user and we decided to buy it since there is a common norm "Two amps cannot sound HUGELY different" and these two are coming from the same maker so we went for it.

JEEZ!!! in my whole life i never knew that two amplifiers could sound so different like night and day. Magni 3 sounds so analytical and Harsh, I cannot listen to it for too long and as a preamp on my friends system "Norah jones smooth voice sounds like she's screaming and hard nails are hammered on to our skulls".

Can this really be true....? i mean is there something wrong with Magni 3 we bought? it looks almost brand new other than a slight dent. I just want to ask the headfi folks because y'all have the privilege of listening to many headphone amplifiers unlike me.

Is magni 3 sound completely different to Asgard 2?

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 14
I'll try helping you. I have a Magni 3+ that I don't find harsh at all. It's got a nice smooth sound. My Magni Heresy has a bit of an edge to it, and I tend to prefer that. Can't help you in regard to your Asgard 2 question.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Another recommendation for your 6XX's is the Schiit Vali 2++. It makes them sing. I'm using a GE 5670 5-Star tube, but I have a WE 396A tube coming tomorrow that I'm anxious to try.

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 14
Asgard 2 is pure class A amp and magni 3 is class ab. Asgard 2 has a lot better pot/parts and is higher class amp than magni 3. Sound wise, if your used to pure class A Asgard magni 3 would definitely be harsher, but not terrible, it's still should sound like a decent amplifier, if rather raw. Perhaps it needs some burn in.

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 14
I recently got Asgard 3, one of my kids has Magni 3+ and we compared them, didn't seem that different even to his younger ears but we both thought the Asgard sounded just a bit deeper and warmer, but the magni sounded smooth just a bit leaner. Sorry for non optimal audiophile terms :wink:
As far as I am concerned the big clicky fat on/off switch on the Asgard makes it far superior because I like fat clicky switches.

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 14
I recently got Asgard 3, one of my kids has Magni 3+ and we compared them, didn't seem that different even to his younger ears but we both thought the Asgard sounded just a bit deeper and warmer, but the magni sounded smooth just a bit leaner. Sorry for non optimal audiophile terms :wink:
As far as I am concerned the big clicky fat on/off switch on the Asgard makes it far superior because I like fat clicky switches.
Thank you for the input!!! I really appreciate it, so there is a difference. I think Asgard 2 has a difference in larger margin when compared to magni 3. Especially in the highs region when used as a preamp for a stereo amplifier.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 14
I've had the Asgard 2, Asgard 3, Magi 3, Vali 2++ and I'm keeping my Vahalla 2. Works well with my 300 and 600 ohm headphones. The stock input tubes are OK but I prefer the relatively inexpensive JJ 6922 tubes. I also have a pair of Amperex orange globes that are good but I usually keep the JJs in.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 14
This probably be my final verdict. It was raining all evening and I got nothing better to do but to AB these two amplifiers with all my favorite tracks. I am submitting my results so if someone stumble upon this thread in the future it could be useful to him or her. This is based on my ears and below setup.

Flac source using a HP Notebook --- > SMSL M100 MKII DAC ---> ASGARD 2 or MAGNI 3

Magni 3 and Asgard 2 has two different sound signatures.

If someone wants sharp detailed sound with good bass and crisp highs please go ahead with magni 3

if you want smooth tube like sound that you could listen to hours and hours from music to sleep time story books look no further than ASGARD 2.

I'd pick asgard 2 over any headphone amplifier I have ever used including FX Audio DAC-X6, Little Dot MKII (stock tubes, Upgraded mullard tubes) because it has the smoothest easiest to listen to sound so far and perfect match for HD-650 (6XX). I also AB them using my Blon BL-03, VE Monk Plus. I still pick the ASGARD 2. it's unbelievable that both amps comes from the same manufacturer and they do sounds absolutely different. (I thought all amps should sound not the same but close *Transparent*) but this is like night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back